Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Family Cars Suggestions

Old 05-05-2006, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Family Cars Suggestions

Looking to get something of a family car here in the next few months. Baby boy coming in Sept. We are all over the map on what to get. First we looked at the '06 Pilot and loved it, drove great, real safe, felt like a tank. But then felt with only one kid it would be overkill. Would love to have the utility though, lots of cargo.

Then started to think about gas prices and that this car would be driven a lot. Well maybe we don't need a SUV. Does anyone make due with just a midsize sedan with kids? Can you fit strollers, carseats, and all the other kids stuff in say a TSX?

Also, the RAV-4 has crossed my mind as a small somewhat efficient suv, really like the RDX but will likely be almost $40k out the door. The Mazda CX-7 looks promising, but gets the same fuel economy as the Pilot and looks much smaller.

Looked at the TL too, only seemed slightly bigger than the TSX. I would like to stay in the sedan category but would hate to feel like it is too cramped after the baby comes and end up getting rid of it.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-05-2006, 03:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Grats on the kid.

With 1 kid any of the cars you mention work well.

Re: Strollers, it just depends. Do you want a fitness (Bob) stroller to fit along with another regular stroller? Do you want to be able to fit bags AND a stroller in the hatch/trunk/wagon rear?

Take your stroller with you when shopping.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wife loves her odyssey.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by steve c,May 5 2006, 06:28 PM
Grats on the kid.

With 1 kid any of the cars you mention work well.

Re: Strollers, it just depends. Do you want a fitness (Bob) stroller to fit along with another regular stroller? Do you want to be able to fit bags AND a stroller in the hatch/trunk/wagon rear?

Take your stroller with you when shopping.
Thanks Steve,

yeah I think we would like to have room in addition to the stroller, diaper bags, any other baby stuff. I just don't want to get something and then be like crap, I can't fit anything in addition to the baby stuff. Also don't want to go overboard.

Hell, the wife wants either a E55 wagon or new Range Rover sport but that is what I would call overboard.

s2kpdx...She is hell bent against a minivan. Just not into them I guess.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=JustBlaze,May 5 2006, 11:51 PM]

s2kpdx...She is hell bent against a minivan. Just not into them I guess.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:02 PM

honestly, nothing beats a minivan....
Old 05-05-2006, 04:05 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Had previous gen oddy and current gen Sienna.

Can't beat minivans if you want a LOT of room
Old 05-05-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Congrats on the baby.

We've got two sons, 11 and 18 years old. We always had Accords, and now have Civics. My wife drives a 2005 Civic Sedan and I drive a 2006 Civic Si. The other Civic in my signature is used by our 18 year old. We've never had a problem or felt crowded.

You might want to consider an umbrella stroller. Not only do they fit in the car better, but they are lighter and more convenient. The only time we ever used the heavier stroller was when we lived in New York City and would go on long walks. Even then, after a while we started using the umbrella stroller for everything. Its just lighter.

You certainly will not have any problem in any of the sedans that you mentioned. The TSX or the TL are big enough. The Accord or the Civic would do fine too.

One hint, get a 4 door. It's much easier putting the baby into the car seat with 4 doors.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,May 5 2006, 06:55 PM
That's cool. We had one before she was pregnant because we had to drive clear across the country with 2 dogs and a cat. It's not "cool" I guess, but if you don't need to tow anything or head off-road it's hard to beat. Good luck.

edit: the worst thing about the mini-van is it makes my wife even hotter!! she's a soon-to-be super-milf...young hot mom driving a mini-van...that's a p o r n o waiting to happen!!

(my only chance of survival is she never reads this)
LOL!! yeah I guess she just isn't ready to go all out soccer mom yet, but maybe we will end up biting the bullet. I know they are not cool but everyone says they love their vans esp the ody. I guess thats what I should tell her, " honey you would look so hot driving that mini-van!!"

This is our first so it is weird going from a total performance perspective, to buying with things like safety, storage, cargo in mind. Seems so foriegn to me.

Legacy wagon, or A4 avant might be interesting, hmm.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:28 PM

I'm checking out Subaru Forester XT's right now. That would be a good family vehicle, or in my case a good alternative to a large truck or suv.

Quick Reply: Family Cars Suggestions