Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Fastest A to B Car?

Old 03-17-2003, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fastest A to B Car?

What is the fastest A to B production car in real world conditions? Both in production right now, and if you think a historical car is faster, then mention that also (like, you might think the Porsche 911 is the fastest now but the Peugeot 205 T16 was overall faster, though it isn't built anymore).

Something that is built in at least 99 cars or more, you get my point. No unique few concepts and such.

To make it clear, real world conditions mean randomly picking any stretch of road that isn't a freeway and must have at least some turns. It also means all types of weather, climate, times of year, night and day. This means tarmac, gravel, mud; with the possibility of having water, slush, ice, snow and what else on top of either of those.

The only thing allowed for customization is the tires. They must be generally road legal tires (such as studded winter tires for icy conditions, which are legal most(?) places of the world. No slicks or WRC type snow tires, etc.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:38 AM

Audi RS6 with all-season tires.

I'm an E55 man, but for your criteria, the RS6 sounds best. High-speed transcontinental mileage-crunching, with room for luggage, and all the amenities.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:45 AM

Hmm, interesting. It is 4WD is it not? I also believe it is quite heavy and suffers from a bit of naughty under steer due to the front-heavy-ness. But with insane power. Specs please

I posted this in another forum and someone suggest McLaren F1. Is it even possible to drive a 600hp+ RWD car in slushy snowy conditions? haha, oh how I would love to see it! Powersliding and everything. What is the ground clearance of it? Might have to take it ridiculusly slow if it's low enough to the ground.

The audi is quite interesting though :-) Good pick. Just remember that you may change the tires for any of the stretches of roads depending on the conditions. Don't need to just stick to one set.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:47 AM

My vote goes to my S2000. Fastest from A to B via VTEC and 9K RPM redline...
Old 03-17-2003, 09:51 AM

Yes, it's 4WD... 450hp twin-turbo 4.2 V8 also...

But yes, it's massive and "suffers" from inherent understeer, but in snowy/wet/low-traction conditions, I'd much rather understeer than oversteer. That's why I picked it over the faster, quicker E55.

The McLaren F1 would be a good choice if the drive was exclusively on-road. That thing is NOT going off-road. I'd imagine it'd even have a hard time on a gravel driveway.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:53 AM

I think the 996 911 turbo may have the RS6 beat.
On the autobahn the RS6 may be able to use its slight power advantage but without a manual some nice twisties would favour the 911.

(Edit: Making full use of tire switches)

Just my $0.02

NS2000X

PS: I love the RS6 - I like the idea as suggested by CAR magazine that Audi develop a double clutch transmission (as found in the V6 TT) for the RS6. Then the RS6 will be king.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:55 AM

haha, oh the same old again. Why is it that most north americans consider roads that are not paved to be non-roads (off-road)? A road is wherever traffic rules apply, private or public roads, etc. You are saying that the F1 would be awesome for paved roads - probably without any fuzz on them such as ice, snow, though even then it could be rather good. I suspect a balanced AWD car might smite it if it was slippery enough. Can't get those 600+hp to the ground.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:02 AM

Connotatively, "off-road" means "unpaved," for us stubborn old 'Murricans at least.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:53 AM
pfb

A few years ago a bunch of journalists and Porsche modified some 996 turbo's with increased travel suspension, rally tires, skid plates, etc. and took them up the Rubicon trail.

That might be the ticket for fastest way from a to b...
Old 03-17-2003, 10:55 AM

We S2ki.com dweebs should have our own little Gumball...

Quick Reply: Fastest A to B Car?