Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

FD3S RX7

Old 04-11-2005, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FD3S RX7

I always had love for the FD rx7. I never bought one due to the fact that I hated buying used cars and always preferred a new car. Anyways, I have changed my mind and have decided to buy one in the near future (in white of course) to accompany my s2000. I wanted to see if anyone on this board either currently owns one or has owned one in the past. Is the RX7 experience rewarding or will I just be happy with the s2000? All comments, suggestions,etc are welcome from anybody who know what they're talking about.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:25 AM
ttb

i have both. love the fd, but just make sure you are either mechanically inclined or willing to pay others to fix it...it's a 10+ year old car. otherwise awesome car.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:21 PM

my buddy got one... It is a 94. he loves it a lot. we started modifying it, and the car would run hot, so we did all the cooling stuff that is recommended... the car was very quick...

Later the engine blew... and he spent $9,000 rebuilding the motor and other stuff from a well known rotary guy in N. Cali... I'm not joking, it really was that much. Now that thing drives like a champ and it will take off like no other.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:30 PM

its a great car.. my favorite from the early nineties japanese turbos. great handling compared with supras and 300zx's. the 3rd gen fd sports an amazing design that still looks sharp today especially with some modifications. its very low and sleek. it was designed to be a race car for the road and mazda used tons of racing knowledge to build this car (remember this was 10 years ago) and i believe it was one of the first cars to have holes drilled out of some of its aluminum to save weight. having driven stock versions as well as modified i must say it offers a very much raw and visceral experience like the s2000. not quite as nimble, but it is more stable and less twitchy at low speeds. it is well balanced with a near 50/50 weight ratio and the chassis is sufficiently stiff.

it is, however, a whole different monster under the hood where stock twin turbos contribute all the power. this has been the rx7s greatest problem as most of the cars need a lot of maintenence and the rotary engine is rare so mechanics and parts costs can be high. the turbos don't tend to last much longer than 60k to 100k miles before burning out and sometimes burning the entire engine up with them. of course it has a lot to do with how u drive the car and if you are buying one today you can find one with rebuilt or brand new turbos/engines installed. i think the mazda would be my first choice if i were building a turbo setup as people have squeezed unthinkable hp numbers by swapping the small sequentials for a larger turbo and rebuilding and upgrading some other components. the car has much more straight line potential than the s2k, thats for sure. and all the speed can be rewarding if you like to be thrown back in your seat.

for what its worth i would recommend picking up an fd as long as you have the time and resources to take care of it.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ttb,Apr 11 2005, 09:25 AM
i have both. love the fd, but just make sure you are either mechanically inclined or willing to pay others to fix it...it's a 10+ year old car. otherwise awesome car.
What he said!
Old 04-11-2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by sleekblackroadster,Apr 11 2005, 12:30 PM
it is, however, a whole different monster under the hood where stock twin turbos contribute all the power. this has been the rx7s greatest problem as most of the cars need a lot of maintenence and the rotary engine is rare so mechanics and parts costs can be high. the turbos don't tend to last much longer than 60k to 100k miles before burning out and sometimes burning the entire engine up with them. of course it has a lot to do with how u drive the car and if you are buying one today you can find one with rebuilt or brand new turbos/engines installed. i think the mazda would be my first choice if i were building a turbo setup as people have squeezed unthinkable hp numbers by swapping the small sequentials for a larger turbo and rebuilding and upgrading some other components. the car has much more straight line potential than the s2k, thats for sure. and all the speed can be rewarding if you like to be thrown back in your seat.
Skip that...get this...

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/

The LS1 V8 is actually lighter than the rotary and all ancillary parts and more reliable to boot.

I would leave it stock looking and scare some people on the road
Old 04-11-2005, 02:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had an FD, then an S2k then an NSX...I'd say the FD was still my favorite, but I'd only own one now if I had plenty of other cars to drive with....
Old 04-11-2005, 05:32 PM

zoom zoom
Old 04-11-2005, 06:21 PM
ttb

stop trying to convert the rx-7 into a piston car! that's like buying a ferrari and putting in a LS1.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:20 PM

i love the FD... i've always wanted one.... and i will have one, one of these days.... good luck finding one in the NOVA area... i tried for like 4 months or so. and could never find a good one...

but be prepared to pay a lot for repairs cause it can be a pain in the ass.... the rotary also has problems with overheating, but that can be worked on... once you start modding it, that should be the first thing you work on.....

and it's a fast car and it handles very very well.... the handling characteristics are similar to the S in ways....

as for the ls1 swap.. it's blah.. i wouldn't do it..... if you did do a swap you should do the jdm 20b swap...

Quick Reply: FD3S RX7