Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ferrari Formula 1 Cars For Sale On ebay!

Old 06-11-2003, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yours for just $1.5 million U.S.
A seller on eBay who goes by the cybername Bluejayfeeder has three Ferrari F1 cars up for sale - the genuine articles raced by Schumacher, Andretti et al. Isn't it time you cleaned out your garage?

DAVE STUBBS

The Gazette

Wednesday, June 11, 2003

CREDIT: EDUARDO DI BAIA, AP

Hey, that's my car. Michael Schumacher steers his Ferrari to victory at the 1998 Argentine Grand Prix in Buenos Aires. The F300 is up for auction on eBay for $1.5 million U.S. Two other Grand Prix-raced Ferraris also are available.

Interesting the trinkets you'll find shopping at eBay: Elvis Presley 8-track tapes, vintage Coke bottles, moose-antler chandeliers, Formula One race cars ...

Beg pardon?

Look, right there - three Grand Prix-raced Ferraris, safely parked in their own corner of cyberspace.

And you thought that shiny new Buick looked nice in the showroom.

Here's serial number 184, a 1998 Ferrari F300 that was tested and raced by Michael Schumacher and Eddie Irvine. It won the Argentine Grand Prix, was raced at Melbourne, Brazil, Italy, Luxembourg and Japan, and it's yours for $1.5 million U.S.

Here's serial number 173, a 1997 F310B with considerably less mileage. This beauty apparently saw action just once, beneath Irvine's lead foot, and retired from the British Grand Prix on the 44th lap with a broken halfshaft. Sticker price, if it had a rear window on which to place the sticker: $1.3 million.

And here's serial number 005, the gorgeous F312B driven by Jacky Ickx to a 12th-place finish at the 1972 Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport Park. Previously piloted by Clay Regazzoni and Mario Andretti, it's a steal at $1.25 million.

(Prices are not firm because of the U.S. dollar's fluctuating value against the Euro.)

These three magnificent, ready-to-race Ferraris are being sold on eBay by a European who goes by the name of Bluejayfeeder. We spoke yesterday on the condition his identity and a few other details not be revealed, such as how this rolling history wound up in his garage.

He is listed as a Power Seller at eBay, that is, one of the "exemplary members who are held to the highest standards of professionalism, having achieved and maintained a 98 per cent positive feedback rating and an excellent sales performance record."

In other words, you would buy a used car from this man.

"I've already received more than 600 e-mails," Bluejayfeeder said. "There are some maniacs out there."

He did not reply to one correspondent who hoped to package his own collection of Ferrari parts, helmets and race suits with the cars. And if he's had a query from Jacques Villeneuve, he isn't saying.

Indeed, confidentiality is a huge part of this auction. Bluejayfeeder says that any purchaser won't be unlike a private collector of fine art, who doesn't spend seven figures merely to impress his neighbours.

These are the genuine article, not show-car shells that have been fancied up with a few decals and some Turtle Wax.

"Get some petrol, and you can race these cars," Bluejayfeeder said. "They come with a lot of documentation - races, laps run, things rebuilt, parts changed ...

"They're all in superb condition. They have no scratches."

To ensure their authenticity, and to protect both seller and buyer, all three will be sold by Ferrari from its headquarters in Maranello, Italy.

To sweeten the deal, the legendary automaker will throw in its version of floor mats: computer telemetry (where available), tires, wings, suspension and spare parts. After all, what good is your F1 Ferrari without an extra nosecone?

The only "downside," as Bluejayfeeder says of the 1997 and '98 models, is that they're missing the computer programs that threaded them through the Grand Prix circuits they raced.

"Those programs are not for public use," he said. "If you want a special setup for a certain track, you'd have to get the guys (at Ferrari) to make it."

Ferrari will even arrange shipping - at your cost. But then, if you can afford these gems, you're not the type to blink at dealer prep and transport.

Bluejayfeeder doesn't think he'll attract a single bid on eBay. But he does expect that by the time his auctions expire this week and next, he'll have communicated with serious collectors who have visited the world's greatest used-car lot to kick some terribly fancy fat tires.

Only the 005 features a photo with its eBay listing.

"People don't buy a car like this based on a photo," Bluejayfeeder reasoned. "They'll come to Europe for an inspection. I suspect that those who are really interested will contact me by e-mail and arrange a meeting to close a deal, or not.

"There are a few private collectors in the U.S., and one in Japan, who might be able to buy them, but they'd first want to come and have a look."

Bluejayfeeder has never attended an F1 race, though he's a loyal Ferrari fan and wouldn't hang up before asking about the Scuderia's chances at this weekend's Canadian Grand Prix.

"I've never driven a car such as these," he said wistfully of the three he has on the auction block. "I'd love to have, but to be honest, I was never allowed.

"I like to race shifter-karts, and that's good enough for me."

To learn more about the pedigree of these Ferraris and others, visit www.barchetta.cc, click on the photo and link to "Ferraris by Serial Number."

To see Bluejayfeeder's listings, here are the links:

Ferrari F1, F312B original race car #005
Ferrari F1, F300 original race car #184
Ferrari F1, F310B original race car #173

Old 06-11-2003, 05:49 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep the Eddie Irvine car I want the real thing.

BTW what's the replacement part situation for these cars?
Old 06-11-2003, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rai
[B]Keep the Eddie Irvine car I want the real thing.