Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Fiat 500 mania!!!!

Old 05-22-2017, 04:49 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,586 Likes on 1,903 Posts

There's no chance of it filling an SUV role in any capacity. It's a small car, the trunk is less than 2' deep.

I wouldn't do a 500 unless it was an Abarth, just not worth it at any cost. Get a Fit, or similar if you want some type of practicality.

Go drive an Abarth though, I have a feeling you might like it.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They're fun cars but build quality is definitely questionable. You get what you pay for.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:20 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

The 500e will catch fire...I have no doubts.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:45 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
If you want pretty much no cost after buying, the 500e for $6k seems like a no brainer. A $10k Abarth sounds like fun, but you have other cars for that, right?

Either way, I don't think a 500 is a bad choice, but to play the role of an SUV at Home Depot? Lol - maybe with the windows down and roof open.
500e sold before I could go look at it. But anybody interested in that kind of thing in the future should pay attention to March of next year. When a bunch came off leases last time they were going at auction for less than $4500. FCA had a $50 a month lease special that pushed a ton out the door (500e) three years ago so they will hit auctions next March and drive used prices into the tank.

I am not totally serious about Home Depot ability of the car except that the hatch and folded seats will make the largest cargo area of any car I would own. When I really need to hau;l stuff I rent a U-Haul for the day once or twice a year and do a giant garden center run or whatever.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad to hear some other people on here are considering a 500 abarth haha, when I saw how cheap they were, my interest piqued! I am interested in the "cabrio" personally. Gotta see if I can get a carseat in it first though
Old 05-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,586 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Glad to hear some other people on here are considering a 500 abarth haha, when I saw how cheap they were, my interest piqued! I am interested in the "cabrio" personally. Gotta see if I can get a carseat in it first though
Ours is a cabrio. I highly doubt a car seat will fit in it though, definitely no chance on a rear facing one.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Only one used one listed in my area but going to drive a new one tomorrow. Not gonna buy new but the dealer is down the road a couple miles and they are Volkswagon/Fiat/Alfa. Might drive a few models tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

We have had out Abarth for a little over a year now maybe 18 months. It did have a little coolant leak that the dealer fixed under warranty. Bought ours new and I think paid $22k total with 0% financing. It is the wifes daily driver and she loves it and I admit I love driving it as well. Super fun little car with plenty of power to zip around. The sounds it makes are hilarious. I think I have surprised a few people who think they are going to blow past this little car when they are getting on the highway and can't overtake it.

Originally Posted by sam_spider
There's no chance of it filling an SUV role in any capacity. It's a small car, the trunk is less than 2' deep.

I wouldn't do a 500 unless it was an Abarth, just not worth it at any cost. Get a Fit, or similar if you want some type of practicality.

Go drive an Abarth though, I have a feeling you might like it.
That said I agree with everything Sam said. Non Abarths aren't worth it. The interior space even with the seats down is small. If you want interior space to haul stuff a Fit or other 4 door hatch will serve you much better. I would actually see if there is a dealer near you and what specials they have. When we went to test drive ours the dealer let us take the car out for pretty much the entire day (they also had them marked down a lot). We drove it all over the place on errands and that really sold us on it. We still had the S2000 and a Honda fit at that time so we had a 4 door car for errands costco runs etc (replaced the fit with a truck now). They are fun silly little cars but they are little.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I had an opportunity to have a ride in a lowered, more boosted Abarth- it went like a scalded cat! I like these as used cars.

​​​​​​​darcy
Old 05-24-2017, 04:55 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
We have had out Abarth for a little over a year now maybe 18 months. It did have a little coolant leak that the dealer fixed under warranty. Bought ours new and I think paid $22k total with 0% financing. It is the wifes daily driver and she loves it and I admit I love driving it as well. Super fun little car with plenty of power to zip around. The sounds it makes are hilarious. I think I have surprised a few people who think they are going to blow past this little car when they are getting on the highway and can't overtake it.

That said I agree with everything Sam said. Non Abarths aren't worth it. The interior space even with the seats down is small. If you want interior space to haul stuff a Fit or other 4 door hatch will serve you much better. I would actually see if there is a dealer near you and what specials they have. When we went to test drive ours the dealer let us take the car out for pretty much the entire day (they also had them marked down a lot). We drove it all over the place on errands and that really sold us on it. We still had the S2000 and a Honda fit at that time so we had a 4 door car for errands costco runs etc (replaced the fit with a truck now). They are fun silly little cars but they are little.
Honda needs to make a boosted Fit...I'd buy one, as a daily, if it had a little more peep

Quick Reply: Fiat 500 mania!!!!