Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

First, big crash for F10 M5?

Old 04-20-2012, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First, big crash for F10 M5?

Hard to believe they both survived. Something's going on in Germany...everyone's crashing their BMW's

This 2012 M5 was traveling at a top speed (approximately 186mph/300kmh) when the driver lost control of the car as he braked and swerved to avoid a car. As the driver of the M5 swerved to avoid a car which joined the highway aggressively (without noticing the oncoming BMW), the M5 struck the divider, bounced off and shot across the highway, where it flipped several times on the grass at the side of the A81.

The 60 year old driver, 20 year old passenger, and a dog were all seriously injured, but are alive. Judging by the severity of the damage to the car, it's a testament to the M5's safety technology that no one was instantly killed.

The car which cut off the M5 did not stop and fled the scene of the accident. The M6 and M3 on the scene belong to the M5 owner's sons, who were traveling with the M5 at the time of the accident. One of the sons, seeing smoke coming from the M5's engine after the crash, was able to prevent any more danger by using an extinguisher on the engine.

It's easy to forget sometimes just how much power our BMWs have and while they are some of the safest cars in the world, we are all still human, capable of suffering injuries and making driving mistakes (or simply suffering bad luck). So please be safe out there!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How the hell.... wow.

Glad they both survived. I wonder how fast they were going.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote says approx. 186 MPH. The crash looks insane, but either they weren't going as fast as the quote says, or that car is a effin tank...
Old 04-20-2012, 07:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, pretty impressive!! Says they were going about 186mph.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

It wrecked but didn't hit anything that would have torn it apart - like they say, its not the fall that kills you, its the sudden stop. Buckled in, with airbags and the safety cage intact, the passengers were along for a hell of a ride though.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:51 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cneCgNA9U
Old 04-20-2012, 09:17 AM

With every series of the M5, I feel as if there is one big accident. I remember with the E60 there was this kid who was doing 200 mph on an airstrip and crashed killing all 5 passengers inside.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:57 PM

I like how the article implies a merging car caused the accident, as if travelling at the limit of the M5's capabilities had nothing to do with it. How much time does a merging motorist have to realize the oncoming traffic is moving at close to 200 mph and react accordingly? At that speed the M5 was covering a mile every 20 seconds. I don't care if it is legal to drive like that, this accident was a predictable outcome. Glad nobody got killed [edit: "not killed" != "not hurt"], I'm just amused by the tenor of the quote.

BTW, where's the link?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
I like how the article implies a merging car caused the accident, as if travelling at the limit of the M5's capabilities had nothing to do with it. How much time does a merging motorist have to realize the oncoming traffic is moving at close to 200 mph and react accordingly? At that speed the M5 was covering a mile every 20 seconds. I don't care if it is legal to drive like that, this accident was a predictable outcome. Glad nobody got hurt, I'm just amused by the tenor of the quote.

BTW, wherre's the link?

I'm not going to totally disagree with you here because you do have a valid point. My only counterpoint would be that a motorist on the autobahn (specifically the unrestricted portions) should be aware that at any time there could be a car travelling at a high speed in the passing lane, and they should act accordingly. It wouldn't have mattered much if he was going 120mph, 150mph or 186mph if the motorist cut him off in such a fashion, but I can totally see how it would be difficult to register a car travelling at such a speed.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by MagnumXL2

I'm not going to totally disagree with you here because you do have a valid point. My only counterpoint would be that a motorist on the autobahn (specifically the unrestricted portions) should be aware that at any time there could be a car travelling at a high speed in the passing lane, and they should act accordingly. It wouldn't have mattered much if he was going 120mph, 150mph or 186mph if the motorist cut him off in such a fashion, but I can totally see how it would be difficult to register a car travelling at such a speed.
I think we agree entirely. If you are going to choose to drive your car that fast you take on all responsibility for your own safety and the safety of others. Legality is a non-issue. I've not gone 180+ mph, but I have topped out some of the cars I've owned, and chose to do so in areas where cars would not be entering the motorway. I thought that was just common courtesy (once you disregarded all common sense by choosing to drive your car as fast as it could possibly go )

That said, hope the people and dog in the M5 heal up. Poor judgement by the drive is not a reason to abandon all compassion.

Quick Reply: First, big crash for F10 M5?