Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

First drive ever in a GT3: my new 2018 GT3

Old 11-24-2017, 08:10 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts
Default First drive ever in a GT3: my new 2018 GT3

https://imgur.com/a/yKA5k

So, I’ve driven a couple regular 911’s and they are nice, but the GT3 is otherworldly. Immediate responses and the SOUND. This engine is something special. I got a few hundred varied miles on it and then did a few rolling acceleration runs and let the engine and PDK-S do their thing. WOW. I’m a convert. This thing wants to run.

Ride isn’t bad, but it gets a little busy on multiple bumps. Still daily driveable for sure if you want. There is definitely more road noise coming into the cabin, but on most roads, you can actually use the Bose when cruising. That said, you do turn off the radio when accelerating. Has to be one of the best sounding cars on the planet. I gave several family members rides and they all commented on the race car sounds with the transmission and engine. I concur.

i want to thank my local salesman and dealer (PP Dallas) for the integrity in which they do business. That goes both ways as I will always deal with them on my P-car transactions buying and selling. I am grateful to have them local and have a great relationship with my sales guy. Got my first P-car through him (GT4) and now this masterpiece.

So, on transmission and my 18 ways. I really didn’t like the cable shifter in my GT4 as I am used to linkage shifters like in my ZR1. The GT4 worked great on the track and around town mostly, but sometimes it felt like there was a bit more resistance going into gear like a little extra detent especially at lower rpm. So, shift action wasn’t 100% consistent. It annoyed me. So PDK-S it is and it’s sublime. Does everything right and in milliseconds. On the seats, I drive around town 95% of the time and my Dad is a big guy. I wanted him to enjoy it. Plus, I like heated seats with my problematic back. Yes, I’m a sissy.

Anyway, in love with the car. It’s everything you all have read and seen. I feel very fortunate to have one in the garage.
The following users liked this post:
freq (12-15-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

WHOA! Congrats!

Did you get rid of the GT4? How does the acceleration compare to your ZR-1?

Also, I thought these only came in PDK (which I would get anyway, because wannabe racecar). Can anyone buy one of these or do you have to show previous owner street cred in order to be allowed to buy one? Do they go for MSRP or do you have to pay over (is that tacky to ask? Sorry if that's too personal)?
Old 11-24-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Congratulations!! Enjoy the ride. I can only imagine how much fun you are having with that thing.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:32 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Also, someone should make an aftermarket shifter conversion that makes it super tall like a sequential in a race car:
Old 11-24-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Congrats on the car, Corey! Looks amazing.

Videos "in Mexico" of some acceleration runs are a must, once it's broken in completely.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
WHOA! Congrats!

Did you get rid of the GT4? How does the acceleration compare to your ZR-1?

Also, I thought these only came in PDK (which I would get anyway, because wannabe racecar). Can anyone buy one of these or do you have to show previous owner street cred in order to be allowed to buy one? Do they go for MSRP or do you have to pay over (is that tacky to ask? Sorry if that's too personal)?
Yes, I traded the GT4. Still have the ZR1. Will never get rid of it methinks. You can get manual in the 991.2 GT3 but I prefer the PDK-S. It’s very fast, but not as brutal feeling as the ZR1. The ZR1 feels faster rolling acceleration, but make no mistake, this 4.0 9000rpm flat six and 7-speed PDK-S is very capable. It builds speed very fast and sounds incredible as you climb to redline.

These cars are hard hard to buy especially at MSRP. Many go over. I got lucky to have a good salesman and dealership with a good relationship so I got MSRP with no strings attached. Definitely lucky and thankful.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:02 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

The car looks amazing!
Old 11-24-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Car looks great. I hope you just LOVE it!
Old 11-24-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I instructed a decent driver in an RS about two months ago and it was a game changer for me. He was advanced and could drive the car well, he was picking up what I was throwing down and it was incredible. I felt like I could drive the car from the passenger seat. The sounds were unreal and the braking just on another level. My neck was actually fatigued after just two sessions. Needless to say I want one!
Old 11-24-2017, 11:33 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Congrats, Corey. I look forward to the videos and pictures.

Quick Reply: First drive ever in a GT3: my new 2018 GT3