Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

First production Fisker Karma

Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First production Fisker Karma

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/23/e...embly-line-ai/

I'm still betting that Fisker is the only viable new auto brand in the EV space. The Karma has the right kind of drivetrain, the right category, and the right price for what it delivers (not just eco image for the ultra-rich -- or economy-car quality at a premium price). I'll bet they sell as many as they can make, and since they're building them in a real production line, that might be a real volume of cars. I can't see what they decide to build next.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Neat looking car. It'll be interesting to see how many of them sell.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think as time goes by, the notion of all-electric vehicles is a certainty. I know on a much smaller scale, in the RC world, nitro powered used to be the way to go when looking for power and speed. Nowadays, the new eletric motors and batteries have surpassed the benefits nitro had. Every top vehicle now has an e-powered counterpart that is better in every catergory than the nitro.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 AM

Comparing RC cars to real cars is hardly valid. You don't need any real infrastructure to support RC cars. A couple hundred million vehicles, on the other hand, are a completely different story. Until we can create electricity and deliver it for less than hydrocarbons, it won't surpass anything. Our electrical grid is already old and overworked!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was merely trying to point out that if it can be done on a very small scale, there is no reason why it will not eventually happen on a large scale, in consumer vehicles.

I can't wait for that day. The customization market will increase signifigantly IMO. With no fear of smog laws, the market should be wide open.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front end really reminds me of the old BMW Z8 with the very high-mounted headlights.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by xmatt
I'm still betting that Fisker is the only viable new auto brand in the EV space.
What about the upcoming Tesla Model S?
Old 03-25-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by North Star
I was merely trying to point out that if it can be done on a very small scale, there is no reason why it will not eventually happen on a large scale, in consumer vehicles.

I can't wait for that day. The customization market will increase signifigantly IMO. With no fear of smog laws, the market should be wide open.
No reason? When we are already straining our power grid? That's a huge reason that it can't happen on a large scale for at least twenty or thirty years!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by North Star
I think as time goes by, the notion of all-electric vehicles is a certainty. I know on a much smaller scale, in the RC world, nitro powered used to be the way to go when looking for power and speed. Nowadays, the new eletric motors and batteries have surpassed the benefits nitro had. Every top vehicle now has an e-powered counterpart that is better in every catergory than the nitro.
Who told you that?!? Less than half the speed and half the run time from a battery than you get from a few ounces of nitro fuel is your definition of "surpassed"?

When it comes to actual use, electric batteries are a POS compared to liquid hydrocarbon fuels. That's just reality. "Physics," one might call it. The amount of energy stored in a battery is inferior to the amount of energy contained in an equal weight of liquid fuel.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnstonstl
What about the upcoming Tesla Model S?
I dunno, I have my doubts about Tesla. The Model S is supposed to be their accessible car, but I still wonder if they'll really be able to deliver quality and value that matches the price. The Roadster is really kind of a terrible car for the money. The whole thing is what you'd expect from a company that's learning how to do everything the first time with a dot-com CEO, in comparison to Fisker who has guys who've been in the auto business for decades and a real volume production facility.

The word in the industry is that the "production" Model S prototype that's been shown around is a "duct tape and bailing wire" affair. The car isn't really close to done.

Quick Reply: First production Fisker Karma