Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Fleet vehicle = red flag?

Old 07-18-2006, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fleet vehicle = red flag?

I've found a used '04 civic for a daily driver - it's a good deal, but the carfax report lists it as a former fleet vehicle (dealer bought it at auction). It's a manual, so I figure I should at least have the clutch looked at - anything else to check out ahead of time? Should I avoid a fleet vehicle at all costs?

I'm pretty inexperienced at buying used, so any tips would be appreciated.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:06 AM

Two things about fleet vehicles... 1) It was probably well-maintained mechanically because the company that owned it paid for all that. That usually bodes well for its mechanical operating condition and service records. That's the good news. 2) it probably was not taken very well care of otherwise because the person who drove it everyday had no vested interest in keeping it nice long-term. This would most likely manifest itself in the cosmetic appearance of the car. Door dings? Paint scratches? Interior stains? etc. That's the bad news. But at least the cosmetic things are things you can identify and evaluate visually.

Andrew
Old 07-18-2006, 08:54 AM

Good to know - not so worried about cosmetics, since they're relatively easy to find, fix, or live with. I'd expect that the clutch will need replacing ahead of schedule, but as long as its not slipping at 20K, sounds good. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:21 AM

Wow, a manual tranny fleet vehicle? Aren't those about as rare as blue diamonds?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:44 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I'd be most worried about the clutch as you stated. Other than that I'd would be ok with it myself.

I have seen so many Honda's abused that just keep running and running and running.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:16 PM

Simple advice: if it's a good deal and comes with warranty, go for it!
Old 07-18-2006, 03:21 PM

i'd check all the fluids. i have a fleet vehicle and only thing we change is oil at 5,000 mile intervals, and that is optional. imo i'll never get a fleet vehicle because half the people i know abuse the heck out of them.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:50 AM

it was a rental.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:28 AM

Not necessarily. Registering the car a as 'fleet vehicle' can mean a variety of things.

If you can figure out which fleet, you'll be able to answer alot of your questions.

The possibility exists that it was a fleet vehicle for Honda. In this case, again, there are a variety of possibilities; the car could have been used for anything.

Honda may have put it up on a podium during a golfing event or something of a similar nature.

For piece of mind, however, always get a PPI done before purchasing a used vehicle.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:30 AM

I'm looking at a TSX for my gf and Carfax say it's was a Fleet Lease vehicle prior to the current owner. Does that mean the car value should go down?

Quick Reply: Fleet vehicle = red flag?