Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ford Edge ST...predictions?

Old 01-15-2019, 05:12 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts
Default Ford Edge ST...predictions?

So, the new Ford Edge ST commercials have landed and it seems Ford believes this new thing they birthed is better than a Ferrari 488. Ok, more practical than a Ferrari sure, but it won't stir the soul like a Ferrari 488 you can be sure. For those that have not seen this particular commercial, here it is.

I will predict this will be a stupid vehicle- and I haven't even driven it- nor do I care to. Is Ford mental or something- do they realize they have a sports car called...wait for it...the MUSTANG. Why didn't they showcase how impractical it is? Riddle me that, Batman.
Hey Ford, I call bullshit. Your Ford Edge ST is not a sports car- don't try and pretend it is. Fast in a straight line (5.2 sec 0-60) is not a sports car. Idiots.

oh, and I have zero financial connection to Ford either.

darcy
Old 01-15-2019, 05:20 PM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
I will predict this will be a stupid vehicle- and I haven't even driven it- nor do I care to.

oh, and I have zero financial connection to Ford either.

darcy
really? I couldn't tell.

Also, it's just marketing. Wasn't meant to be taken literally lol.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:37 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I read somewhere that Ford's business was nearly 90% trucks and SUV's. The old ford edge sport with the turbo motor was a hot rod once tuned. This seems like a great choice for Ford to me. They do say "want a performance car?" not "want a sports car?" in the commercial before saying "the first SUV from Ford Performance." High performance SUVs are offered by other manufacturers like Jeep SRT/some Cayenne models/X5's/and so on and people love them. Some of them get around corners surprisingly well given their weight.

Disclaimer: Ford doesn't offer a single product I am interested in, including this overhyped econobox!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:35 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

This ad pisses me off and I couldn't hold my tongue (but the song from Tame Impala is super cool). I hate how Ford advertises this- sure, the other manufacturers have performance SUV's but none of them claim they're sports cars.

Really, very few manufactures are producing cars that I would want to buy and own- this just adds to the mess of shiite out there currently. I think the manufacturers don't know what people want any more. I'll see whats up at NAIAS in the next week or so.

darcy
Old 01-16-2019, 05:22 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd argue the manufacturers know exactly what people want, and are focused 99% on that. People are buying crossovers, sedans aren't the guaranteed sellers that they used to be, and gas prices are low. Could it be that "pivoting to crossovers" will be as colossal a mistake as "pivoting to video?" Only time will tell, but sales figures say people want tall, lifted hatchbacks.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:46 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I like the design of the Ford ST and the wife actually commented on the looks when we saw an advertisement on TV.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:19 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Everyone's making performance CUVs, so I get it. However, I don't understand why they had to go and ruin the brand image of the ST line. They already had an Edge Sport, and an Explorer Sport. Dunno why they couldn't just keep using those model designations.

Love the Tame Impala song, but think it was used for a lame product.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:43 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
This ad pisses me off and I couldn't hold my tongue (but the song from Tame Impala is super cool). I hate how Ford advertises this- sure, the other manufacturers have performance SUV's but none of them claim they're sports cars.

Really, very few manufactures are producing cars that I would want to buy and own- this just adds to the mess of shiite out there currently. I think the manufacturers don't know what people want any more. I'll see whats up at NAIAS in the next week or so.

darcy
Umm, Acura is equally guilty, if not more since they open with the NSX and Integra Type R

What's funny is the Edge ST is probably faster than the RDX too.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:47 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I thought the car mags already reviewed the ST as a warmed over load of meh.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:59 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't have a major problem with it - just typical marketing. If people really buy it and think it's a "sports car" or anything close to it, the joke's on them.

What made me laugh is the speedo shot at 0:18. It must be the fastest SUV ever created!!

Quick Reply: Ford Edge ST...predictions?