Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ford GT ran a 2:38 at VIR grand new lap record.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:52 AM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000
What would you know about fast laps! Haha.

I was down at VIR for the first time over the fall. Since I had a good feel for the track since running grand, I watched the Lighting lap with the Gt and said to myself, that driver is leaving 4-6 seconds on the track, that car can go way faster. A day later you post up your time.

Did you happen to give any advice to the C&D drivers? Was it on the same day you and C&D went out.

Lastly, Do you still love your Viper after having some time with that sexy beast of a Ford GT?
I was there to help, whether they listed to my advice or not.

I still love my Viper, its like a big S2K. You can't compare the build quality, chassis stiffness, etc.. to the GT, but they're both "Drivers cars" in how they respond, and they both have won LeMans

You can read more about how the day went down: Ford Accidentally Set a Lap Record With the GT at VIR
Old 01-26-2018, 08:22 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
The C&D lap time is FIVE seconds slower. Lol @ calling anything lightning lap with journalists setting times.
Not really sure what you're hating on here. They don't claim to be top notch drivers, but they're sure as hell better than me and most of the differences between car times are relate-able because it's the same drivers. It's like using the same dynometer for measuring gains from a mod. The baseline power figure could be wrong, but you're only concerned with the gains.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Not really sure what you're hating on here. They don't claim to be top notch drivers, but they're sure as hell better than me and most of the differences between car times are relate-able because it's the same drivers. It's like using the same dynometer for measuring gains from a mod. The baseline power figure could be wrong, but you're only concerned with the gains.
Lightning lap uses multiple drivers on different cars over multiple days. That would be like comparing a dynapack in 100*F SAE to a Dynojet in 40*F uncorrected to the number of horses tied to the back of a car in a literal tug of war.
​​​​​​
Old 01-26-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Ah, I just assumed that one guy was faster than the rest?

incorrectly i guess
Old 01-28-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Damn, Billy. That's freaking awesome. You have the best job in the world.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:14 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

...and then Chevy beat the time with a ZR1 with Jim Mero at the helm, while doing calibration runs...

2:37.25 (over a second quicker)

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Sets VIR Lap Record - ZR1 Beats Ford GT at VIR

Chevrolet announced today it was able to lap a 2019 ZR1 equipped with the optional eight-speed auto and ZTK performance package around VIR in 2:37.25. That's 1.37 seconds quicker than the Ford GT's time, making the ZR1 the fastest production vehicle to ever lap the course.

Aside from a harness bar and five-point harnesses, Chevy says the ZR1 used was totally stock, set up with alignment and aero settings specified in the owner's manual. The $2,995 ZTK package gives the car a whole bunch of aggressive features, including an adjustable carbon fiber wing, a front splitter, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, and track-ready magnetic ride control. The lap was set during validation testing earlier in January leading up to the car's production.
The following users liked this post:
TrumpetTitan (02-12-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 04:43 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
...and then Chevy beat the time with a ZR1 with Jim Mero at the helm, while doing calibration runs...

2:37.25 (over a second quicker)

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Sets VIR Lap Record - ZR1 Beats Ford GT at VIR
Yes, for 1/3 the price. Pretty sad for Ford. Now, don't get me wrong, the Ford GT is AWESOME, but it's more than double what it's really worth especially from a performance perspective. But Ford artificially limited supply, hyped the car to the moon, and will still sell the few they are going to make very easily. The car looks incredible which is why I'd be willing to spend $100k more than a ZR1 for one just on looks and cool factor alone, but for $300k more? uhhh...a little crazy unless you're rich and just adding a cool toy to the collection which most of the buyers approved to get one are doing.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:09 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Breaking news: Camaro & Corvette owner talks up his car.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:46 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Breaking news: Camaro & Corvette owner talks up his car.

Your jealousy is showing.
The following 2 users liked this post by HawkeyeGeoff:
Chibo (02-01-2018), TrumpetTitan (02-12-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Yes, for 1/3 the price. Pretty sad for Ford. Now, don't get me wrong, the Ford GT is AWESOME, but it's more than double what it's really worth especially from a performance perspective. But Ford artificially limited supply, hyped the car to the moon, and will still sell the few they are going to make very easily. The car looks incredible which is why I'd be willing to spend $100k more than a ZR1 for one just on looks and cool factor alone, but for $300k more? uhhh...a little crazy unless you're rich and just adding a cool toy to the collection which most of the buyers approved to get one are doing.
Too much ignorance for a reply.

Quick Reply: Ford GT ran a 2:38 at VIR grand new lap record.