Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ford to stop selling cars

Old 04-29-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Not surprised honestly. Buying a CUV is just easier.

Since hatchbacks aren't too popular here, CUV's are the next best thing. Similar gas mileage, only slightly bigger, much more practical. For a single car household, it makes way more sense to buy a CUV imo.

I'm only able to DD a hatch bc I have access to a pickup and a full size SUV when I need it. If I DD'd a simple sedan and didn't have access to a larger car, it would make life every annoying. Not going to rent a larger car every single time I need it.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:24 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Hatchbacks are insanely popular here, seeing as how most compact CUVs are literally hatchbacks with a 2 inch lift.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:05 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Hatchbacks are insanely popular here, seeing as how most compact CUVs are literally hatchbacks with a 2 inch lift.
I'd argue the current CUV/SUV is a bit more boxy than the hatchbacks I drove in school (88 Accord LXi, 95 Integra, etc.).

I can't blame Ford. Keep in mind, they have a very difficult cost structure - they CEO complained nearly 10 years ago that they spent more per vehicle on employee health care than they did on the steel to build the car. They have no obligation to sell non-profitable models here. But they could get caught with the pants down if there's another major fuel crisis driving people back to small cars. But in that case, they'll just wait for the political winds to change and start importing them here from wherever they're built.

But back to the sedan vs. CUV argument. In my mind, there's very little reason to buy a sedan these days as good and versatile as crossovers are. Take my CX-5 as an example. There's no "backseat penalty" - it can haul full sized 4 adults without issue, and still have tons of room behind the seats for cargo. It drives like a sedan, gets decent mpg, and doesn't feel top heavy. On a weekend getaway I can throw anything I want in the back - suitcase/bags, two adult bicycles, you name it, and still have plenty of room. It also pulls home depot duty - I've brought home 7' boxes of wood flooring, 8' lumber, mulch, heck - even an 18 cu ft refrigerator (hanging out the back). My buddy borrowed it recently because he was buying a piece of furniture that he didn't think would fit in his H3 Hummer (it's side hinged door couldn't be held open to drive home). The versatility of the CX-5 is why there's one parked in my driveway. For a homeowner that tackles a mix of house projects, it's just about perfect. A sedan doesn't check the same boxes for me. I didn't want a truck or full-sized SUV because they don't drive as well, get worse mpg, and cost more up front. The CX-5 kinda hit the sweet spot for an all around practical vehicle to complement the fun cars in the garage.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:59 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
I'd argue the current CUV/SUV is a bit more boxy than the hatchbacks I drove in school (88 Accord LXi, 95 Integra, etc.).
Those are liftbacks
Old 05-01-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those roof racks come in handy as well if equipped.