S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Found my new DD (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/found-my-new-dd-1171294/)

bgoetz 04-08-2017 05:36 PM

Found my new DD

3 Attachment(s)
I have been through various options for quite some time and finally settled on the plan/criteria outlined in this thread:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk...twist-1170740/

I was really searching for a 335i when I came across a Craigslist add for a 328i M-sport that was local. I hooked up with the owner and instantly realized there was no way I was going to buy that particular car, it was beat! I did test drive it and was quite impressed with the way the car drove, I really didn't feel it lacked power for what I wanted. The N52 engine was very smooth and linear and NA took away a bit of worry as far as long term maintenance. Best of all it seemed well within my budget. So my search for a 2009-2011 328i M-sport, auto with 4 doors began. I quickly realized that there were only a handful of cars that meet that criteria for sale in the whole US. I called on a couple that were already sold, but eventually found one that was just posted. Best of all it was a unique color combo, enthusiast owned, and appeared well maintained. After a call with the owner I had to have it!

The only issue was that he had recently relocated to San Francisco and left the car with a friend in TN, which is 5hrs from me. He would be back at the end of April, but I would be on vacation. To make things worse I didn't really have time to invest in even driving down to see if this car existed. I knew if I didn't act quick the car would be gone, the question was how. After a bit of back and forth with the seller this is the only way we could make it work (I didn't create the thread to debate just to tell the story, so please don't):

1.)I send a certified check to him, essentially buying sight unseen
2.)he mails me the title from San Francisco
3.)I pickup the car from his buddy

We did make a bill of sale and exchange identification along with that I did a bit of research online, maybe he did the same. There was one moment when I think we were both a bit freaked out after he had the check and realized that there would be a 5-10 day hold. He was hesitant in sending the title, which freaked me out a bit, but after a phone conversation the title was sent next day. So I had the title, but still needed the car and hopefully in the awesome condition described. Today was that day, and the entire 5hr drive I was wondering what I would find. Happily I arrived to his friend waiting with the keys to one very clean 328i M-sport!! I have only driven to the hotel, but I already can tell I will love it. More reviews to come on the car, but this has been quite the experience. So would I buy a car sight unseen from a guy on the other side of the US, who would have his buddy complete delivery again? I am not sure, admittedly I had a moment or two where I was really anxious and questioned the whole things, so right now my answer is no, I got lucky once, so why test things. That said who knows what unique car I might find in the future :)

I will toss more pics and driving impressions up once I drive it back and detail it!

bgoetz 04-09-2017 03:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So far I really like it. I think the tires need to go, the run flats are noisy as heck, but other than that it drives great! I will toss up a more detailed review after I have more time driving it.

TheDonEffect 04-10-2017 08:53 AM

Nice color combo.

JonBoy 04-10-2017 08:57 AM

Great looking car. Nice choice!

white98ls 04-10-2017 10:06 AM

My ex-GF had an '08 328i coupe w/Sport pkg, and I have an '11 M3 sedan. Great cars - they give such a planted, confident feel. The 328i engine is such a peach, I don't know if I'd even want the 335i over it. Little-known fact: the 328i engine is actually a magnesium block, very light. The ride and handling notably improved when I had her ditch the run-flats for Conti DWs (2-3 had sidewall bubbles).

Car and Driver did an informal comparison between an E90 328i and its replacement, the F30 328i. Preferred the older model, as it has far more communication in general, sweet N/A I-6 instead of the turbo-4, and nice hydro steering vs. the new electric with little feel.

Nice color combo, looks sharp with the M Sport pkg as well! Your LCI (facelift) front end on the sedan looks so much better than the pre-LCI one, IMO.

bgoetz 04-10-2017 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by white98ls (Post 24185799)
My ex-GF had an '08 328i coupe w/Sport pkg, and I have an '11 M3 sedan. Great cars - they give such a planted, confident feel. The 328i engine is such a peach, I don't know if I'd even want the 335i over it. Little-known fact: the 328i engine is actually a magnesium block, very light. The ride and handling notably improved when I had her ditch the run-flats for Conti DWs (2-3 had sidewall bubbles).

Car and Driver did an informal comparison between an E90 328i and its replacement, the F30 328i. Preferred the older model, as it has far more communication in general, sweet N/A I-6 instead of the turbo-4, and nice hydro steering vs. the new electric with little feel.

Nice color combo, looks sharp with the M Sport pkg as well! Your LCI (facelift) front end on the sedan looks so much better than the pre-LCI one, IMO.

Thanks! I agree that the engine really has this indescribable smoothness and feel. It could use a touch more power and some sound, so if I imagine the M3 as that same feel with way more HP and sound I can see why they are desirable cars.

white98ls 04-10-2017 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by bgoetz (Post 24185834)
Thanks! I agree that the engine really has this indescribable smoothness and feel. It could use a touch more power and some sound, so if I imagine the M3 as that same feel with way more HP and sound I can see why they are desirable cars.

The straight-6 feels pretty much the same at idle and at redline in terms of vibration. Really a gem.

The M3 has a similar-feeling powerband. Decent but not not thrilling torque in the low end, but comes alive at the top end. The 328i does weigh about 300lbs less :)

ChiHonda 04-10-2017 11:38 AM

Nice pickup! I love brown leather and walnut. I'll be curious your impressions after you replace the run-flats. The suspension of the these non-M cars are designed around the runflats (stiff) so the bushings are soft. I had a 135i and put on Pilot Super Sports which were great but the car got a little floaty. A lot of people replace the suspensions bushings with M3 bushings. Some do M3 front control arms while they're at it. Its not going to be a bad suspension if you leave it as it, not by a long shot. Not clear how much if any modding you want to do to a DD. If I had the 135i again, I'd skip the power mods or maybe just a tune and do only wheels, tires and suspension. The 1er is understeery from the factory. I think the 3 series is supposed to be more neutral.

Enjoy this. The twin turbos are torque monsters for good and bad. The NA inline 6 is an absolute gem. Personally I've come to love NA engines.

bgoetz 04-10-2017 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by ChiHonda (Post 24185891)
Nice pickup! I love brown leather and walnut. I'll be curious your impressions after you replace the run-flats. The suspension of the these non-M cars are designed around the runflats (stiff) so the bushings are soft. I had a 135i and put on Pilot Super Sports which were great but the car got a little floaty. A lot of people replace the suspensions bushings with M3 bushings. Some do M3 front control arms while they're at it. Its not going to be a bad suspension if you leave it as it, not by a long shot. Not clear how much if any modding you want to do to a DD. If I had the 135i again, I'd skip the power mods or maybe just a tune and do only wheels, tires and suspension. The 1er is understeery from the factory. I think the 3 series is supposed to be more neutral.

Enjoy this. The twin turbos are torque monsters for good and bad. The NA inline 6 is an absolute gem. Personally I've come to love NA engines.

correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the M-sport have some M suspension components? Not sure what ones, but I thought it had a lot of the same stuff. Given the mileage suspension bushings will be done at some point and I will take your advice, so if it has M bushings it gets more if not it gets some. This car will hang around for quite sometime and is really a platform for me to make a great DD, sorta like my S2k is a platform for me to make it what I want. So far both make me smile when I drive them, so I can't ask for much more :)

ChiHonda 04-11-2017 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by bgoetz (Post 24186094)
correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the M-sport have some M suspension components? Not sure what ones, but I thought it had a lot of the same stuff. Given the mileage suspension bushings will be done at some point and I will take your advice, so if it has M bushings it gets more if not it gets some. This car will hang around for quite sometime and is really a platform for me to make a great DD, sorta like my S2k is a platform for me to make it what I want. So far both make me smile when I drive them, so I can't ask for much more :)

On my 2010 135i, the M-sport package got better seats, a different steering wheel and shift knob and no chrome around the windows. Maybe a black headliner too. And M badges. Lots and lots of M badges... on the door sills, wheels, steering wheel, shifter, door sills and the even the dead pedal. Zero performance/chassis/suspension upgrades. Now, don't get me wrong, it was a much better seat and I loved the thick wheel but performance-wise nothing from the M cars. I don't know about the 3 series M-sport package.

Here's the steering wheel and shifter. I miss those. BMWs of this generation (E82, E90 etc) have great interiors. Simple, high-quality, driver focused. I love the gauges. Since I got rid of it I've been driving the S2000 mostly. I also miss torque. Well, I miss it a little. I have a love hate relationship with torque.https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...d7f062e5be.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...46bd675c1c.jpg