Notices
Car Talk Discussions and comparisions of cars of all makes and models.

Found my new DD

Old 04-11-2017, 06:48 PM

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

One other thing. I remember hearing that the suspension of the 1-series was set-up softer than the 3-series. I don't know if that's true or not. The platforms share a lot of parts and many M3 parts (control arms, steering rack) were bolt-on but I'm not sure about the stock suspension of the 3-series. It might be nothing like the 1-series.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:10 AM

Liked 61 Times in 58 Posts

Motorsport is a nice way to go. Bet there is a whole set of "must do's" for each model. Would love to one day get an M3.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:06 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by bgoetz View Post
I have been through various options for quite some time and finally settled on the plan/criteria outlined in this thread:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk...twist-1170740/

I was really searching for a 335i when I came across a Craigslist add for a 328i M-sport that was local. I hooked up with the owner and instantly realized there was no way I was going to buy that particular car, it was beat! I did test drive it and was quite impressed with the way the car drove, I really didn't feel it lacked power for what I wanted. The N52 engine was very smooth and linear and NA took away a bit of worry as far as long term maintenance. Best of all it seemed well within my budget. So my search for a 2009-2011 328i M-sport, auto with 4 doors began. I quickly realized that there were only a handful of cars that meet that criteria for sale in the whole US. I called on a couple that were already sold, but eventually found one that was just posted. Best of all it was a unique color combo, enthusiast owned, and appeared well maintained. After a call with the owner I had to have it!

We did make a bill of sale and exchange identification along with that I did a bit of research online, maybe he did the same. There was one moment when I think we were both a bit freaked out after he had the check and realized that there would be a 5-10 day hold. He was hesitant in sending the title, which freaked me out a bit, but after a phone conversation the title was sent next day. So I had the title, but still needed the car and hopefully in the awesome condition described. More reviews to come on the car, but this has been quite the experience.
After finding local and regional options to be limited, I drove 1000 miles last month to buy a car, which filled me with a ton of anxiety but also excitement. So, I can relate to being freaked out, but it also makes for a much cooler story than just talking about going to a local dealer and picking something off the lot. One of my buddies recently listed his 328i M-Sport for sale (at: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/6058161152.html), so there is another "unicorn" (his is a manual so it's probably even less common) available in case this thread piqued anyone's interest about these particular cars.

My recently acquired new-used car also has the N52, which I've read is one of BMW's more reliable engines. Like everyone says, it is very smooth. Coming from an '04 S2000, I really don't like N52's throttle action and I love to rev-match and downshift when slowing down, but I think BMW's efforts to reduce pumping losses with the N52 basically make it impossible to slow down using the engine's compression. But, I guess the upside is that the engine is pretty fuel efficient, if you're into that sort of thing.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:31 AM

Liked 49 Times in 33 Posts

IMO rarity is a toss up between auto and manual in this particular car. I can see a lot of the people who want an M-sport going manual, although who knows we are talking a 328 sedan which skews every assumption. I think a 328i M-sport in any form is tough to find!
Old 04-17-2017, 05:48 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Welcome to the E9X fray. Like the S2000; they're such a unique, and 'no-longer can I get this connected feeling with a car' car. Many trouble free miles in your new ride. Great looking interior.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:47 AM

Thanks, it is great so far! I did swap the run flats out for some S04s and it rides a ton better! Also completed my first mod, I re wired the paddle shifters to work like they should have been setup from the factory (right pull up shift, left pull downshift). It was rather easy and made it a tone better
Old 04-18-2017, 07:20 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by bgoetz View Post
Thanks, it is great so far! I did swap the run flats out for some S04s and it rides a ton better! Also completed my first mod, I re wired the paddle shifters to work like they should have been setup from the factory (right pull up shift, left pull downshift). It was rather easy and made it a tone better
It's a fantastic car. Despite having an E92 M3 currently, would love to have our E92 335x drive 6-sp still in the garage. It was a great daily driver, and one of the more rare color combo's I've ever seen.

The run-flats are awful. First thing we did when we got our last F30 328i and F33 428xi were to remove the run flats. They're loud, and wear pretty quickly.

Speaking of tires....we're moving to Colorado and i'm cleaning out the garage. Have a set of almost new Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 225/45 R18 Performance Winter/Snow tires from our F30. Still very good tread depth at 8/32". Only used for two winters. Believe these would fit your staggered OEM wheels. You're welcome to have them if you'd use them.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by S2KBDub View Post
It's a fantastic car. Despite having an E92 M3 currently, would love to have our E92 335x drive 6-sp still in the garage. It was a great daily driver, and one of the more rare color combo's I've ever seen.

The run-flats are awful. First thing we did when we got our last F30 328i and F33 428xi were to remove the run flats. They're loud, and wear pretty quickly.

Speaking of tires....we're moving to Colorado and i'm cleaning out the garage. Have a set of almost new Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 225/45 R18 Performance Winter/Snow tires from our F30. Still very good tread depth at 8/32". Only used for two winters. Believe these would fit your staggered OEM wheels. You're welcome to have them if you'd use them.
i would certainly use them, I will sent you a PM