Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Future classic/collectible cars...

Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future classic/collectible cars...

Okay, so this era isn't quite as chock-full of collectors cars as we all may like, but what are some genuine bonafide collectible cars you see possibly holding their value or appreciating in the future?

And by "the future" I mean 20-30+ years. I'll try to get things started:

1993-1997 Porsche 993 Last of the air-cooled Porsches, although their high production numbers makes them readily available, for a cost. Not rare, but pricey.

2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe Dead platform from a dead mfg. <1200 total produced, <800 in turbo GXP trim.

2000 Mustang Cobra R 300 produced in 2000. Any color you want as long as it's reddish orange.

1997-1998 Integra Type R Love it or hate it, it represents the pinnacle of import tuner madness in the late 90's, and is one of the best FWD cars ever, made in limited quantity, most have been modified to kingdom come. It's hard to even find a PHOTO of a stock one. Gotta be Championship White though (IMO).
Old 03-01-2010, 10:19 AM

I'm pretty sure it'll be the ITR:

why? because it was "this generations" car. Sort of how the chargers/challengers/mustangs/camaros were the 60/70's and now its worth $$$$$$$.

The porsches will always hold their value, but it wont jump up/down.
Too much normal solstices were sold, plus it never captured this generation
^Again, too much normal mustangs were sold: Theres gonna be lots of conversions.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Even though it first came out in 1986, it ended production in 1992: BMW M3 (E30).

Also, the NSX. Especially the Zanardi edition.

Hopefully the CR
Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Mar 1 2010, 11:19 AM
I'm pretty sure it'll be the ITR:

why? because it was "this generations" car. Sort of how the chargers/challengers/mustangs/camaros were the 60/70's and now its worth $$$$$$$.

The porsches will always hold their value, but it wont jump up/down.
Too much normal solstices were sold, plus it never captured this generation
^Again, too much normal mustangs were sold: Theres gonna be lots of conversions.
Ding ding ding, the collectibility of cars has more to do with interest vs. rarity. Rarity keeps the cost of parts up which in turn keeps the value of the car up, however interest creates value for the car making said car to be worth more than the sum of its parts. And if you have both than you got a friggin gem in terms of collectibility. Which is why a pristine 69 camaro will be worth as much as a pristine charger, but the camaro can be done for a lot less than the charger. Of course my over simplified example is subject to authenticity, vin, and production specs.
In this the ITR will be incredibly collectible, for a lot of enthusiasts this was the end all car back in their acne years, just like how the muscle cars were for their generation. If you look at cars like the GNX today and the prices they're commanding, it just goes to show if it was the car to have, then it'll hold its value.
In this the solstice coupe will struggle because no one really knows about the car and it is being washed in a sea of great if not better cars like the 370z. But man do I want one. Or maybe I'm just saying that so that resale values drop so I could afford one .
Some of my picks:
ITR, CRX, NSX, Supra, FD, Z32, Terminator Cobra, Viper GTS, F150 Lightening (in time I think), and maybe even the EM1 Civic SI.

I guess you just need to figure out the cars that were extremely popular and are becoming rarer.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Mar 1 2010, 01:06 PM
I guess you just need to figure out the cars that were extremely popular and are becoming rarer.
Extremely popular and rarer does not make sense.

Also, I'll argue that any low-production enthusiast car has the shot at being a collectible in the future. Heck, even niche cars like the Chevy SSR (retch) have a shot.

And yes, the Solstice coupe is a low-production enthusiast car.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 AM

Besides what's already been said:
E36 M3.
Z3/4 M coupe.
Dodge Viper SRT 10
ZR1
R32
Old 03-01-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Hard to figure.
I remember going by the Dodge/Plymouth dealer when I was young and they had a new Hemi Cuda, and a new Daytona Hemi Charger. They couldn't give them away. They were wicked discounted and still took forever to sell.
Where's my time machine.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:41 AM

FD's that HAVEN'T received LS swaps.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,Mar 1 2010, 01:55 PM
1993-1997 Porsche 993 Last of the air-cooled Porsches, although their high production numbers makes them readily available, for a cost. Not rare, but pricey.
IMO, this is one of the prettiest cars off all time. Especially the Turbo with the whale tail. While I still like the newer 911s, this one stands out.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i would never get one but what about these.

Quick Reply: Future classic/collectible cars...