Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

G37

Old 11-11-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Mister2,Nov 10 2007, 07:56 PM] While I was at the car show today, they had a G37 coupe.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Iceman1,Nov 11 2007, 11:40 PM
the 335 is ~$48K (includes free maintanance for 4 years),
Are you kidding me? Trust me, you're paying for the maintenance somewhere. For starters, like having to pay $475 extra for anything other than standard colors, when just about every other car on the planet is offered in similar colors for no extra charge. Or paying nearly $2,000 extra for real leather that doesn't come with a $40,000 luxury coupe standard. The point is, the 335i is a nice car, but you pay through the nose for every little option. The maintenance program looks attractive if you're comparing the Beemer to the other similarly priced German cars that don't come with this, like Audi or Mercedes, but it definitely doesn't justify the $5,000 premium over the G37 if you're going to use that as a decision maker between these two cars.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by PilotKD,Nov 12 2007, 05:41 PM
Are you kidding me? Trust me, you're paying for the maintenance somewhere. For starters, like having to pay $475 extra for anything other than standard colors, when just about every other car on the planet is offered in similar colors for no extra charge. Or paying nearly $2,000 extra for real leather that doesn't come with a $40,000 luxury coupe standard. The point is, the 335i is a nice car, but you pay through the nose for every little option. The maintenance program looks attractive if you're comparing the Beemer to the other similarly priced German cars that don't come with this, like Audi or Mercedes, but it definitely doesn't justify the $5,000 premium over the G37 if you're going to use that as a decision maker between these two cars.
well thats why i said it costs 48 THOUSAND DOLLARS... i meant your not paying the premium for shits and giggles, your paying up front for maintanance as well... with the Infiniti you dont pay up front... but you pay later...

so the point is... the cost to own and operate both cars at the end of 4 years is actually closer to each other than their initial selling MSRP will lead you to believe...

im sure maintanance costs alone wont even them out, but it will definitly add to the cost of maintaining a G37... so the difference over 4 years isnt necessarily 5K, but probably closer to 3K ... and no, im not talking about the small minority of people that are going to do the work themselves...

oh, and Mercedes also has free maintanance for 4 years (in fact they started the trend)
Old 11-12-2007, 10:14 PM

i've driven the g37 as well at the dealer tho, it was 6mt model

Good:

Good power esp mid range, the fixed the shifter feel compared to the previous G35/ Z33, the car looks stylish, and the brakes i like alot better than (the feel wise) to the 03-04 brembo or the kind of weak 05-07 sliding calipers.

Bad: feels VERY heavy, poor use of space especially the back seat and trunk it was like my S14 240sx cept 3700lb..., the clutch still has that weird engagement point (drive a Z33 or v35 G35 tho its worse).

Neutral: interior is improved over the previous G35 (05+) but still kind of cheap, the navi was nice but probably too much info for most people, and the tires while grippy could be alot wider considering its rolling on 19's.

My choice: i'd buy it but i'd skip the stick shift model and go for a G37 Journey w/ sport package (lsd, big brakes, 19's) and navigation. I did not drive the 4 wheels steer/ super hicas model but from experience with S13 and GTR's systems its to be avoided because its propensity to fail+ complexity and also added understeer on fast corners.

i've also driven the 335 in sedan form w. auto tho, and 330i and Euro 320d in M/t. IF they can work out the oil overheating problem,

i'd pick the 335 over the G37 because i like the interior, chassis, and overall look of the car more. I would tho add a quiafe geartype LSD (theres kits for the 335 already). I like the E90/92's brakes for Daily drive, tho its shifter leaves something to be desired, as it has the typical vague bmw feeling. 08 production 335 sport pack i hear have the oil temp problem fixed and unless one is stupid enough to pay mark up is a pretty good deal at msrp.

As w/ the G37, i'd pick a E92 coupe w/ automatic and sport pack but skip navigation and thus skip BMW's i-drive which i feel is the WORST multi media interface i've used.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:55 PM

Wylin,

how usable is the trunk space? Do you think you could stick in 2 luggage roll-on carryons? Howabout with the rear seats folded down?
Old 11-13-2007, 04:51 AM

The G37 is a bit less but it's also less car and if you're considering leasing you can lease the 335 for less than the G37. If you drive both back to back I believe it will makes this an easy decision.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:00 AM

[QUOTE=psychophd,Nov 12 2007, 11:55 PM] Wylin,

how usable is the trunk space?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:59 AM

If it was 135i vs G37, i'd pick the G since i think its more mature and stylish that basically the BMW version of the nissan silvia or GT-S skyline (FR coupe w/ turbo).
Thanks wylin...

yeah, I looked at the G37 in a show room and got the quick peek in (was in a hurry and the salesperson wasn't all that friendly).

When I've looked at the specs & options of both, the G seems to hold a pretty big financial edge over the 3, and a slight one over the 1-series. Since it would be my dd, I wouldn't mind it being a bit softer in a lot of aspects that the 1. And with the $ saved I could tighten it up if I wanted...

Any idea on reliability between the two? Regardless of the 'free' maint on the BMW. I've heard the 335 has had some engine issues, esp with oil temp. If I'm thinking of keeping it forever, would the G be a better choice?
Old 11-13-2007, 02:01 PM

How much does it really cost to maintain a car in the first 4 years? Might be food for thought. Unless you're letting the dealership do all your oil changes, it shouldn't really be that much.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:17 PM

At night, the G's taillights look awesome!!! Very modern and cool!

Quick Reply: G37