Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

get a evo VII our S2000

Old 01-05-2002, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default get a evo VII our S2000

hi need some help people im stuck in this dilemma that im about to buy a s2k but with the news of a evo coming i dont know if i should wait our not . ive test drove a s2k and i had one of the wildest times test driving it even go a ticket after that i was hooked on the s2k
( tell you the story of the test drive in another post long but good). so need some peoples opinions to help me out to make sure i make the right choose purchase date is 4 weeks from now
Old 01-05-2002, 01:07 PM

its quick clear you having problems deciding. i can say that the s2000 is a good car, and i love it. but when it comes down to it, its your $ you are spending. so you have to really decide. you just dont want to end up buying the s2000 then wanting the EVO when that comes out.
besides, $ is power and with $ you can do anything you want. Maybe you should wait a little more and decide.
Old 01-05-2002, 01:42 PM

The best thing I can tell you is drive a WRX to get a feel for what an Evo VII may drive like when it shows up here. My brother has a WRX and I have an S2K (duh) I can honestly say that I enjoy driving my car more. This is no slight to a turbocharged/ AWD sport sedan, it rocks but I just like the roadster better.
JM2C
Old 01-05-2002, 02:00 PM

ive have not driven a wrx yet but one of my frends has one since it is broken in now ill ask him if i can drive it. but i really think the s2k is for me it was a fun car to drive and it does look good. if anyone else has any more replays to my ? please post them up it will help me make my final choice
Old 01-05-2002, 02:20 PM

What?

A US Spec WRX being close to what a Mitsubishi Lancer GSR EVO VII is?

Are you people out of your minds? They are not even comparable. I strongly suggest doing more research before posting such blatant misinformation. The EVO VII is faster than a STi Version VIII, so I don't know how you can even compare a EVO VII with a WRX. That would be like comparing an S2000 to a Miata- not even the same performance class of car...

Also, don't hold your breath for a US Spec Lancer GSR EVO VII. I'll believe the manufacturers when I actually see the cars being sold in the US. I've seen EVO V's being run stateside on the streets, but the legality is very, very questionable.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:31 PM

I think he just meant as a roadster vs. AWD turbo sedan comparison.

Anyways, the EVO 7 is very fast, but has been criticized in the Japanese press as not being enough fun on dry roads. It doesn't oversteer easily, and tends toward understeer. Having never driven one, I can't say.

I'd go with the S2000 now. There is always something new and exciting just around the corner . . .

P.S. Nick, you obviously haven't seen Mitsubishi's press release. EVO is set to go on sale in the US spring 2003. Was announced yesterday at the LA Auto Show. Press release thread in off topic section.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:33 PM

EVO VII kicks ass.

too bad it wont be here in the US for a while.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:38 PM

Well...

I've driven all cars mentioned- the stateside WRX, the S2000, the STi Version VIII, and several iterations of the EVO series, including the VI, VI.5, and VII, in both GSR and RS/RSII configurations and several of the earlier ones like the original GSR, and EVO II and III.

The stateside WRX is nowhere near the performance level of the others.

I mean, come on- if you allow that much leeway, get in a 1000HP GT-R. I'm sure that would be the opposite end of the spectrum...
Old 01-05-2002, 03:50 PM

I say if you really want a evo wait and see what type of car Mitsubishi brings here. From the crap I've seen flying around the internet who knows what state of tune the evo will be when it gets here.
Old 01-05-2002, 03:53 PM

You have to ask yourself what you really want in the car - the S2000 is great fun to drive in the spring and fall with the top down - you cannot do that with the Evo or WRX... The S2000 makes you feel good when you can drive it well - which takes some skill; the WRX and Evo is easier to drive fast and will probably out accelerate the S2000. Personally, I would still stick with the S2000.

Quick Reply: get a evo VII our S2000