Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Gf wants an '03 Audi TT 180 hp (auto).

Old 07-18-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gf wants an '03 Audi TT 180 hp (auto).

Is there anything perticular that I should look out for? Can someone pin point me to the biggest TT forums?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:54 PM

IMO, lease a new one and get rid of it after 3 years..... then you don't have to look out for anything or pay for any maint.
audiforums.com
Old 07-18-2006, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ +1 to that.

I had a 01.5 a4 and had problems up the wazoo. Spent almost every weekend at the dealership getting stuff fixed. Luckily I had extended warranty so most of it was covered under manufacture, or extended.

I had my window regulator on my driver door replaced 4 times, twice on the passenger, one on each rear window. Had my front driver speaker replaced because it was making buzzing noise. Had a few leds go out in the cluster. Washer fluid bottle/pump replaced because it broke. Control arm replaced because it went bad. Bushings replaced because it was creaking. Had my exhaust gasket valve replaced because it was busted and making fluterring noise when I started my car. The dealership couldn't trace this problem for months till i finally gave up and took it to an independent shop and they found it in 1 night.

There's more things that I had replaced/fixed on the car, I just can't remember it.. If you do decide to get one, seriously consider the extended warranty. Once you near 50k, you'll get little problems and once 50k hits, all the big major one hits. My exhaust valve gasket leak would have been a $1300 job.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:01 AM

audiworld.com is a good place to check out.

I had a 2001 TT coupe with the 225hp version of the 1.8 with manual 6 speed transmission. Fun car and certainly a beautiful design. I bought it when it was about 2 years old and 34k miles on it. Sold it about 1 year and 1/2 later at about 48k miles, right before warranty ran out.

There were a few problems but I was luck with nothing major. Most of problems were with interior trim/electrical. Rear deck lid always rattled - It was replaced which fixed the problem. Interior seat heater switches went bad and would not pop back in properly. Light switch didnt work correctly so fogs would always turn on. One cracked winshield. Lower part of bumper was cracked before i bought it by a parking curb or something.

There was a resonance when driving at 85-90mph that would go away at 80mph or 95mph. Might have been tires as it was there in either 5th or 6th gear.

I loved it when that turbo woud kick in... BAM! and your off!
Old 07-19-2006, 10:16 AM
bkw

Originally Posted by BoostTed,Jul 19 2006, 12:14 AM
www.audizine.com and audiworld.com are the two biggest. I still post there frequently same SN as here. The 1.8t in those cars are pretty reliable but its the shit around it that breaks. I didnt have a TT but I have an 01 A4. I had 5 coilpacks got bad on me, I used to carry a spare just in case. There was finally a recall for it. I had my window regulator break on me, that was $380 bill. A pin on the wire that goes to the coilpack broke on me, 4 cent part litterally and $180 in labor. You have to watch for the timing belts on these cars. Manual said to replace them at 90K but people's belts snapped way before that and cause some damage to the motor. Oil sludge issue. Some had the display in the cluster go out. Divertor valves went out all the time but thats a cheap fix. They arent cheap cars to own.

Had a pretty modified 99 1.8T A4 that was wonderful until little things began to break and I was able to repair most things myself or bring her into service due to warranty. Anyways, I loved every minute of it while under my ownership.

I purchased an 02 1.8T earlier this year with 30k miles on the clock for my DD thinking that I had enough knowledge with Audis to look out for the bad signs but was very wrong. The motor had to be torn down (sludging, oil pump, tried the thinning proceedure on audiworld to no avail), the steering rack replaced (twice in 3 weeks! Car would not shift out of P), and the FM antennas died. When I got the car back, I noticed that little other things began to go wrong - gas cap vacuum pressure, power steering squeal then eventual failure, intermittent dash light failure, constant wiper lower warnings, etc etc etc. Lucky for me, everything was covered under warranty.

Sold the car back to Audi wholesale at a loss and walked away with my tail between my legs.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

edit: duh, u said its an auto. haha. well, +1 to the belts, if they go wrong, kablooey!
Old 07-20-2006, 08:55 AM

Check www.myaudittsucks.com prior to purchase. I cross-shopped the TT and the S2000 when shopping for a car. Can you imagine the S2000 having a site dedicated to thousands of owners bashing the car? Avoid Audi like the plague.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:55 PM

LOL i'd NEVER buy another Audi again. That was a once in a lifetime experience and I think a bad one. Everyone that I know who has thought/considered/toyed with the idea of an Audi, I've convinced otherwise. Luckily I still have all my records of services done to my A4 and sometimes, you just need the hard proof to convince some folks.

I'd definitely avoid Audi like a plague. Definitely not for someone who isn't willing to spend countless weekends at the dealership, money and dealing with trivial problems on an on going basis...
Old 07-24-2006, 01:13 AM

Check out the current issue of Road & Track (Aug). It has an article (buying guide) on the TT. The reliability issue does scare me though. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostTed,Jul 19 2006, 01:14 AM
The 1.8t in those cars are pretty reliable but its the shit around it that breaks.
haha that pretty much sums up most german cars.

Quick Reply: Gf wants an '03 Audi TT 180 hp (auto).