Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Girlfriends "New" Acura

Old 06-17-2016, 04:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Girlfriends "New" Acura

After a number of months of researching, saving, and shopping, my girlfriend finally got a replacement for her terrible Pontiac G5.

We had it narrowed down between a TSX or a Honda Fit. While we know the winner, the Fit is still a remarkable car for its segment. The interior space and flexibility are really amazing. That said, her biggest gripe about the G5 (other than falling apart) was it's lack of passing power, which the Fit was no better at.

After some searching (and looking at some torn up cars), we finally found a good one. It's clearly been maintained and well cared for. the Interior is near perfect, and the exterior's few door dings and scratches are far less compared to that of a car its age ('08, 130k miles).

The short to-do list includes all weather mats, interior LED's , and to repair the cracked fog lights (I've seen some mention of a DIY with Lexan glass). I'll also go over the fluids, plugs, and filters. Handata Reflash may also be on the list (been meaning to do that to me RDX for some time).

I'm really impressed with this little known Acura. The driving dynamics are fantastic. The handling is more than competent, providing surprising steering feedback (and weight). While not a powerhouse, the engine is more than capable of getting out of its own way. She got to drive it a couple hundred miles home, and raved about it the entire way.

Overall, I think she got a solid car that also happens to be fun to drive!

If looking for a used daily driver to partner with your s, the TSX would be a good choice.
Attached Thumbnails Girlfriends "New" Acura-13434933_1060508147339891_7046015936390579104_n.jpg   Girlfriends "New" Acura-13346581_1060549014002471_6983313197106638267_n.jpg  
Old 06-17-2016, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice choice, I know a local member that has one as a daily, also silver, similar mileage and year, and got a really good deal on it.
And at the risk of sounding slightly creepy, you have a good looking girlfriend. If all women down there looked that good, I'd have to move haha.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by EricJT7
Nice choice, I know a local member that has one as a daily, also silver, similar mileage and year, and got a really good deal on it.
And at the risk of sounding slightly creepy, you have a good looking girlfriend. If all women down there looked that good, I'd have to move haha.
It's no s2000, but it's a really great car for what it is. It very much has a "driver's car" feel to it.

My only complaint is that it's an auto. She can drive a manual (ok, an little, but she'd quickly imporve), but I don't think she'd ever enjoy it.

No creepiness! Considering I'm 10 years older, receding hairline, and one divorce under my belt, I've done pretty good!
Old 06-17-2016, 07:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice pick up (talking about the car!). I came here to feel sorry for you, but that TSX is one of the last cars that Acura has made that actually interested me. Stick would have been better but I understand people's priorities are not all the same

Were you guys looking at new fits or used fits? How much was the TSX if you don't mind me asking...
Old 06-17-2016, 07:47 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I daily an 06 TSX 6spd...love it. Great car
Old 06-17-2016, 07:49 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

I really like the TSX. The design of the first gens is timeless, the handling is good, it's reasonably quick, etc. just an all around great car, and the last of an era, sadly.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice pick up! Congrats.

I also recently picked up a TSX (05', 80k miles, blue on black, 6-speed, yadda yadda) to compliment the s2k, so I figured I'd add my 2 cents. It is very much a driver's car, and the superb 6-speed transmission just adds to that. The handling is very confidence inspiring while still being comfy for those jacked up city roads. The fit and finish of the interior is top notch for 2005. I told a few people who were in my car that it was over 10 years old and they couldn't believe it. The leather is still in perfect shape which is impressive. The interior is very simple with a bit of elegance while including some nice amenities (heated seats, heated mirrors, bluetooth, etc.) I wish it had a little more power, maybe 40 hp or more, but I didn't buy this car to set any records. Like you said, it has more than enough power to get out of its own way. In my opinion the exterior is timeless. When I tell people it's an 05' they find it hard to believe. It's definitely does a great job at complimenting the s2k.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Nice pick up (talking about the car!). I came here to feel sorry for you, but that TSX is one of the last cars that Acura has made that actually interested me. Stick would have been better but I understand people's priorities are not all the same

Were you guys looking at new fits or used fits? How much was the TSX if you don't mind me asking...
We were looking at 2nd gen sport models. Again, I really admire the Fit, but once we got behind the wheel of a TSX, our minds were made up.

She got it for $8k. Given that they are somewhat rare, it's hard to value them. We got it in the Dallas area, and compared to others on the market, this was the best deal. She could have found one for a little less, but not in as good of condition.

Originally Posted by RedCelica
I daily an 06 TSX 6spd...love it. Great car

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
I really like the TSX. The design of the first gens is timeless, the handling is good, it's reasonably quick, etc. just an all around great car, and the last of an era, sadly.
It looks fresh today, and I think it still will 10 years down the road (same for the interior). The TSX is akin to my RDX; after the first generation, they softened it up to appeal to a wider market.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great car...had a black one back in 04/05 and loved it.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by bkowa092
Nice pick up! Congrats.

I also recently picked up a TSX (05', 80k miles, blue on black, 6-speed, yadda yadda) to compliment the s2k, so I figured I'd add my 2 cents. It is very much a driver's car, and the superb 6-speed transmission just adds to that. The handling is very confidence inspiring while still being comfy for those jacked up city roads. The fit and finish of the interior is top notch for 2005. I told a few people who were in my car that it was over 10 years old and they couldn't believe it. The leather is still in perfect shape which is impressive. The interior is very simple with a bit of elegance while including some nice amenities (heated seats, heated mirrors, bluetooth, etc.) I wish it had a little more power, maybe 40 hp or more, but I didn't buy this car to set any records. Like you said, it has more than enough power to get out of its own way. In my opinion the exterior is timeless. When I tell people it's an 05' they find it hard to believe. It's definitely does a great job at complimenting the s2k.
I love the interior. Hers is black, with nav. It's simple and elegant. The dash layout is good (far less clutter than my RDX) and all the materials feel top notch.

Have you done/considered sending the ECU to Hondata for a Reflash?

Quick Reply: Girlfriends "New" Acura