Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

God bless 'Merica! Muscle cars are growing on me fast.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The camaro wouldn't be bad if you could see out of it. You'd have better visibility slapping some wheels on a submarine and using the periscope.
The following 2 users liked this post by InterHat:
cbehney (09-28-2018), lolS2K (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 05:48 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k
In a same boat right now, itching for a v8,

was looking for a lexus IS-F due to the 'jdm' factor, but after seeing used ones fetching 35k+ with 80k miles, makes more sense to buy a 16' maro SS with a manual for high 20's.
I don't recall the IS_F coming in a manual.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with many things being brought up. Merica has really made me start looking at their cars do to independent rear suspension, manual, performance oriented cars. Sadly......Japan has gone down. Its crazy to think that toyota used to have the celica turbo AWD, Mr2, and supra. Nissan had the 200sx turbo, 240's, and now we got back the skyline so ok. Honda, we all know.

Anyway. Good talk.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:41 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Loved my 2016 Camaro SS. Awesome car and made for a great daily. I had no issues seeing out it either with the seat and mirrors adjusted. Those that complain need to spend a little time driving it after getting everything set-up right.

It amazed me how much performance I had in my Camaro for the price. I'd hop into my 991.2 GT3 right after and yes, the GT3 is on a different level, but damn if the Camaro didn't make great sounds and was a blast to drive in it's own right.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:37 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

I have always just been a car guy. I like some cars from most manufacturers. I grew up around muscle car guys. I still love going to muscle car shows as much as any other type of car shows.

Some complain that the old muscle cars cant turn. They were not meant to for he most part, they were muscle cars :P They were still frickin cool as could be! The new ones of course are getting better and doing everything. I was talking to some car folks a while back and mentioned I enjoyed tractor pulls .. they looked at me like I just said I was making moonshine with my sister wife up in the hills lol. My dad (with my help too for what it was worth as an 8 year old) built a pull truck with his friend when I was a kid and I really enjoyed that scene. Sorry, it is hard to say you are a "Car guy" and not appreciate hearing a 572 big block screaming at 10,000 rpm while dragging a crapton of weight down a track :P

And as some have stated, you have to spend a lot to keep up with a ZR1 around a racetrack these days. That car also gets decent mileage on the street and is pretty easy to manage as a daily. And will always sound better to me than most other engines, my little honda inlcuded!

Old 09-28-2018, 11:51 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I've had my S2k for 10+ years and growing up was always a tuner/JDM/Fast and Furious type guy. Was all into Skyline R34's, Supra's, NSX's, and Mitsu Evos. As mentioned already, nothing really that cool is coming out of Japan these days.

About 5 years ago I decided to upgrade my Daily driver 328IS with a C5 Z06. Was a completely different experience than what I was used to in the JDM world, and I fell in love with it in a way I never knew I would.

Earlier this year I bought my dream car, and you can't get more of a modern day Muscle car than a Gen2 Viper GTS. Big tires, big motor, over the top styling with no driver aids and no cruise control.

I wouldn't say I've completely switched to Muscle, because I think you can live in both worlds. Although I love the Merican sport cars more than I thought I would.

It is funny the last 3 cars purchased for me have been Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. LOL
Old 09-28-2018, 02:51 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I went from an s2000, to C5 Z06, to FRS, to GT350, now back to my first AP2 (had AP1s until now). I love all modern V8s and I find my eye constantly wandering over to the 6th gen SS 1LEs, so much car for the money.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll chime in...my whole life I've been into japanese cars but in my search for a new car I've been open to domestics here are my thoughts from what I've driven/interested in...
c6zr1 awesome car but looks like any other c6 to the untrained eye
c7 z06 i like but don't love
camaro my least favorite domestic and the visibility was terrible
new mustang i love but would never buy because everyone has one
challenger i love the look but the car made me realize I've been driving a s2k forever (felt heavy like i was driving a boat)
the challenger experience made me realize that if i was to get a domestic the last gen viper is where it's at

basically what i'm looking for in a new car is power (at least 500 hp stock), rarity, lightweight, and not going to break my bank....whats the saying? you can have all the boxes checked that you want except for 1....due to this my next car will prob be a r35 or f type r

if money was not object I'd be be looking at na1 or na2 and boosting them like crazy or the last gen viper...oh well there's always megamillions or the powerball...
Old 09-29-2018, 06:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
I don't recall the IS_F coming in a manual.
yeah true, plus the 8 speed tranny shifts really slow compared to all the new autos.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:56 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by LDfavoriteson
I'll chime in...my whole life I've been into japanese cars but in my search for a new car I've been open to domestics here are my thoughts from what I've driven/interested in...
c6zr1 awesome car but looks like any other c6 to the untrained eye
c7 z06 i like but don't love
camaro my least favorite domestic and the visibility was terrible
new mustang i love but would never buy because everyone has one
challenger i love the look but the car made me realize I've been driving a s2k forever (felt heavy like i was driving a boat)
the challenger experience made me realize that if i was to get a domestic the last gen viper is where it's at

basically what i'm looking for in a new car is power (at least 500 hp stock), rarity, lightweight, and not going to break my bank....whats the saying? you can have all the boxes checked that you want except for 1....due to this my next car will prob be a r35 or f type r

if money was not object I'd be be looking at na1 or na2 and boosting them like crazy or the last gen viper...oh well there's always megamillions or the powerball...
I think you're looking for more of a status symbol than a car. The viper probably has the worst street driving experience of all the cars you listed. Long, loud, wide, hot, weird seating position, etc. The r35 coming from an s2000 is such an isolated experience, hot sex with a condom. I haven't driven the f type but you're getting real close to an aston. Not to mention all of these cars go into the six figure range.

Pony cars main appeal are their value when you consider the performance, price, xlay of ownership, and daily disability and usability. If you're comparing to top shelf cars then heck might as well compare to a 911, gt4, evora, etc etc.

Quick Reply: God bless 'Merica! Muscle cars are growing on me fast.