Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Golf R

Old 08-29-2018, 03:58 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

I think it’s a solid DD. Only real complaint is numb disconnected steering. The interior is by far nicest in class.
The following users liked this post:
hirev (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 06:18 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Really tall gearing in the manual? What??? I dunno what car you drove, but it wasn't a Mk7 Golf R... The gearing is MUCH shorter than in a GTI.

For reference - Top Speed in gear:
Gti / R:
1: 39 / 35
2: 71 / 58
3: 100 / 81
4: 125 / 111
I might be conflating some of the tall gearing from the GTI onto the R that is actually turbo lag from the larger turbo. My point was mostly that if you want the power out of that car, you work for it. It does not just flex it's muscles in daily traffic without some effort due to how it delivers its power that way some other torque-at-the-bottom cars do. I like just about everything about the car except for the subdued styling and power delivery. Seriously considered one becuause it really does a lot well. For the money I much prefer the GTI though.

Most people do not cross shop this car with the M240i, but I am. I drove both and since my BMW dealer will discount the M240i and the Volkswagon dealers don't move much on the R the cost is not much different and I can do European delivery on the M240i. I actually think the R interior is on par and in some ways better. But the BMW lets you kick the tail out, its engine sounds tons better, it feels like more fun from behind the wheel to me at least, and has tons of torque down low making it a bigger blast in daily grind traffic. I really think the Golf R is a great do-it-all car with great ride, interior, comfort, and the ability to haul people and things and be a bad weather warrior. It just lacks some in the fun department and that is why I won't get one. If I had the money for both of those cars, I'd take one in a heartbeat for winter and choose a really nice DSG so my wife could drive it. I also would take a serious look if I could only have one car because it does so much, but I am at a point in my life where I don't have to have just one.

As luck would have it, Savagegeese just posted his review yesterday and even though I don't own one, I would echo a lot of what he said from about an hour behind the wheel on three test drives. The video is long, but you can skip to the 28:11 for final thoughts.

Last edited by vader1; 08-30-2018 at 06:30 AM.
hirev (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 07:28 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I have a UK spec GTI with DSG and adaptive suspension (DCC) which has a mish-mash of the US options as standard (Cruise, LED lights all round but no slip diff), and it's a lovely thing to waft about in.

Quiet, comfortable (I use mine in comfort mode most of the time), has all the electronic toys one could want and only really needs to be steered most of the time.

It can be fun-ish to drive (put it in sport, and use the paddles to shift), but it's no nimble sportscar (I already have one of those). Turbo lag is not really noticeable but it does require a bit more firmness than the Honda-light controls I'm used to. It's plenty fast enough for any sane road use.

It has a bigger boot (trunk) than the R as it doesn't have the 4WD gubbins taking up space, so more room for the pooch.
hirev (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

I was looking into the golf r too when I got my GTI. The GTI's were sooooo cheap that it just didn't make sense for me. I do love the R tho. I think I paid about $20.5k for my gti. The cheapest new Golf R was $39k.

Love my GTI as my DD. I put a ton of miles on my car. It's comfy enough, averaging a little over 30 mpg, and is more fun than most cheaper cars. 90% as fun as an R for 50% of the price.
hirev (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I think you can definitely do worse than an R, but you can get an off-lease BMW or used Jag XF for dirt cheap that is a bit bigger.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:03 AM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I got 10,000km on my 2018 R which has the new 7 Speed DSG out of the TTRS. I have gotten used to not having a manual, and the extra gear helps fuel economy a ton. If you drive it like a grandma you can easily get 30+mpg. My best on a 400km trip from Jasper to Edmonton just driving the speed limit was 5.8 l/100km which is basically 40 mpg. That's with a tune and in regular drive mode, not economy mode but I don't know if it effects economy or not. When i was breaking it in I got a lot worse but still pretty good economy for driving it pretty hard.

The steering I have grown to accept, although it is numb. You can have some fun in the corners but you need all the aids off and need to be in sport mode which has surprisingly good shift logic in the 7 speed, doesn't require your input. Or manual mode. In regular drive mode the shifting is a slouch and still set up for good economy.

To me its not such a hardcore car that they should have had a sunroof as an option, I also would have gotten a wagon if it was available here. I wish the hatch was bigger.
hirev (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If you are looking for a manual, there is clean looking '17 on Rennlist for $28k. Fly in and take a scenic road trip home with a car, seller sounds like he would be easy to deal with.
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-for-sale.html

I bought a 2017 GTI Sport last year, went with the DSG. It is my first non-manual but I don't regret the decision for a daily driver. I haven't driven the manual although everything I have read indicates it could use some improvement. I would have likely done a few of the mods listed here if I went with the manual:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37719
hirev (09-02-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone with a dsg have a creep while stopped, like it just creeps forward if you don't have your foot on the brake...i know all autos do that but my friend with a 17 gti dsg has this creep and in traffic it can be annoying?????
Old 09-06-2018, 12:13 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by hirev
Does anyone with a dsg have a creep while stopped, like it just creeps forward if you don't have your foot on the brake...i know all autos do that but my friend with a 17 gti dsg has this creep and in traffic it can be annoying?????
I have read about that in a couple different reviews, but no, I don't own one. A unique "feature" of some dual clutch transmissions. Still a good transmission though.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:52 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Like a manual transmission with the clutch engaged it creeps forward when you take your foot off the brake. There is also an auto-hold brake feature if you want the car to stay put with the foot off the brake, works like a charm, but I find it annoying and like the small creep without touching the throttle.

The real 'creep' issue is when you are decelerating gently and coming to a stop, the car will downshift into a lower gear and it will suddenly put a bit more torque to the ground at the last moment. It's a bit annoying for me because I like to stop very smoothly and often to save gas I use as much engine braking as possible when approaching intersections with a red light.
hirev (09-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Golf R