S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   GT daily driver (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/gt-daily-driver-1183436/)

lolS2K 04-04-2018 02:40 PM

GT daily driver

Looking to get a new daily driver towards the end of the great as the current daily is a wet towel (Lexus CT200). Strongly considering getting into the GT segment for around 50k. So far I've got 3 cars in mind but I'm open to suggestions:

Jaguar XKRS:
I've wanted one of these since they released while I was still in training. Great looks, true GT styling, supercharged 5Liter V8 sounds glorious, and a surprisingly reliable chassis for the marquee (battery issues aside). Unfortunately, examples are few and far between and the infotainment/ stereo system leaves a lot to be desired.

Lexus RCF:
This is the safe bet. Newer car with more/better features and creature comforts, CPO options available, naturally aspirated 5liter V8 (same V8 as the new LC500), Toyota reliability. Unfortunately, the styling is the least palatable of the 3 options.

E63 M6:
The black sheep. The opposite of the Lexus. Styling is in the middle ground. It's more subtle than the Jaguar but not abrasive like the RC. More of a sleeper than the others. Also a 5 liter... V10. Available in a manual. It's much cheaper than the others, which is great because they're known to spin rod bearings.

I'm open to other suggestions as well, these are just the 3 I've considered so far.

white98ls 04-04-2018 02:49 PM

Never really got into the XK or RC personally.

You can replace the rod bearings in the M6 proactively if you're really worried. That's about $2-2.5k for the M3 which has basically the same engine but two less cylinders. Rest of the car isn't cheap to own/maintain either (horrible, and I mean horrible gas mileage for one) but that's an epic engine.

Might I suggest in addition:
-AMV8
-F-Type V6S

importluva 04-04-2018 04:24 PM

The S85 is amazing, spend the cash to lock down bearings and actuators. To me a daily has to have four accessible seats and in that sense M5 > M6.

darcyw 04-04-2018 05:04 PM

for fun and to annoy the neighbours, I'd consider a new SS 1LE, Mustang GT with Track Pack, maybe roll the dice on the Kia Stinger?

darcy

ealand0001 04-04-2018 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by importluva (Post 24442136)
The S85 is amazing, spend the cash to lock down bearings and actuators. To me a daily has to have four accessible seats and in that sense M5 > M6.

thank you! Gawd, 6 series are dumb!! The two door version is dumb and the four door version seems redundant.

mosesbotbol 04-05-2018 04:36 AM

I would go for the XKRS (or XKR) out of your picks. Have you driven an XKR? Very powerful car. I owned an XK for a few years. I disagree on your quote " infotainment/ stereo system leaves a lot to be desired". Sure, it's not a 2018 system, but it does all you'll need and is easy to use. Are you buying a car to drive or play computer? All of these kind of cars, Aston Martin, Maserati, Jaguar, Bentley.... all suck down the battery if not driven every few days. The stories of the Jaguar battery are overblown. All of those cars need a newish battery that is charged. Using a CTEK is easy as the battery is in the trunk.

I would not suggest a Gran Turismo, but a lot would. I find the interior material sub par and the car drives really heavy. MB and BMW have numb steering. F Type is not a GT and has limited utility. I strongly suggest also driving a Lotus Evora S. Has a back seat which is flat and functional for storage. Limited trunk space, but a ride that no other car this side of a Ferrari or McLaren can compete with. Very comfortable seats and seating position. DB9 is nice and beautiful, but XKR is going to leave that in the dust and will cost less to own. I would look to spend 80K+ if considering a DB9.

CMK 04-05-2018 04:57 AM

Don't make any decisions until you've checked out a nice RS5. You might also like the CTS-V.

lolS2K 04-05-2018 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by white98ls (Post 24442105)
Never really got into the XK or RC personally.

You can replace the rod bearings in the M6 proactively if you're really worried. That's about $2-2.5k for the M3 which has basically the same engine but two less cylinders. Rest of the car isn't cheap to own/maintain either (horrible, and I mean horrible gas mileage for one) but that's an epic engine.

Might I suggest in addition:
-AMV8
-F-Type V6S

The 997 is one I haven't considered but I'm intrigued. The F Type was enticing since it's offered in a manual but doesn't have the storage or practicality of a true GT car.

Originally Posted by importluva (Post 24442136)

I agree about the S85, and the fear of catastrophic failures has made them relatively cheap. Leaves plenty in the budget for bulletproofing a well serviced example. I have a wife and dog and neither of us want kids so 4 doors for us is unnecessary. It would definitely be the M6.

Originally Posted by darcyw (Post 24442156)
for fun and to annoy the neighbours, I'd consider a new SS 1LE, Mustang GT with Track Pack, maybe roll the dice on the Kia Stinger?

darcy

I have mulled over the Mustang a lot actually. I've always been a sucker for the bullitt mustangs and with their plan to release later this year I may pursue this option over one of the 3 listed above.

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 24442280)
I would go for the XKRS (or XKR) out of your picks. Have you driven an XKR? Very powerful car. I owned an XK for a few years. I disagree on your quote " infotainment/ stereo system leaves a lot to be desired". Sure, it's not a 2018 system, but it does all you'll need and is easy to use. Are you buying a car to drive or play computer? All of these kind of cars, Aston Martin, Maserati, Jaguar, Bentley.... all suck down the battery if not driven every few days. The stories of the Jaguar battery are overblown. All of those cars need a newish battery that is charged. Using a CTEK is easy as the battery is in the trunk.

I would not suggest a Gran Turismo, but a lot would. I find the interior material sub par and the car drives really heavy. MB and BMW have numb steering. F Type is not a GT and has limited utility. I strongly suggest also driving a Lotus Evora S. Has a back seat which is flat and functional for storage. Limited trunk space, but a ride that no other car this side of a Ferrari or McLaren can compete with. Very comfortable seats and seating position. DB9 is nice and beautiful, but XKR is going to leave that in the dust and will cost less to own. I would look to spend 80K+ if considering a DB9.

I agree here. The battery problem is essentially a nonissue since this would be a daily driver. I've had some seat time in the XK but not driven an XKRS due to their rarity. I love the thought of owning an Aston, but as a daily driver I think that might take away from the experience.

Originally Posted by CMK (Post 24442292)
Don't make any decisions until you've checked out a nice RS5. You might also like the CTS-V.

I wouldn't mind the CTS-V but GM cars are way down the list of contenders for me since I've already got an LS in the S2000 and would like to branch out to another platform.

HawkeyeGeoff 04-05-2018 06:36 AM

I daily a Mazdaspeed6 GT. It's a very, very nice vehicle for the money. Leather, heated seats, comfy for 4 adults, classy looking, okay fuel economy (18 city / 26 highway)....did I mention they're insanely cheap and tunable?

mosesbotbol 04-05-2018 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by lolS2K (Post 24442350)
I agree here. The battery problem is essentially a nonissue since this would be a daily driver. I've had some seat time in the XK but not driven an XKRS due to their rarity. I love the thought of owning an Aston, but as a daily driver I think that might take away from the experience.

There is not much power difference between the XKR and XKRS. I think it comes down to a tune and X Pipe. XKRS has a bunch of other stuff going for it on the suspension and aero. DB9 is a daily driver, I wouldn't worry on that front. CCB are good for like 80K miles and hardly dust. Yearly maintenance isn't that bad. Should be 2-3K a year. Finding a manual DB9 is hard and I am not convinced it is a car that "needs to be a manual".

Drive an XKR 5.0 locally and if you like that, just look nationally for an XKRS. Even an XKR is incredible. Will put a lot of money back in your wallet to keep it tip top.