Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Have a 2017 Macan today, service loaner

Old 06-07-2017, 01:03 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

I bought the 2015 macan s back in june 2014 when it first came out and its been a pretty good daily. Kind of pricey after all the options at around 65-70k (cant remember) but its a lot of car for the money. You gotta drive the v6 tt macan s model. Its a world of a difference from the 4cyl base model out now. Actually feel bad for all the new macan owners, especially with the 4cyl and crap suspension, the new macans feel like a vw tiguan...cheap. the s and turbo models dont feel very different at all. Just wish the exhaust rumbled a little more. But the pdk tranny is butter. Not as visceral as an m3/4 but good enough for a crossover daily driver. Its been a good car to me. Plenty fast, planted in turns, and fun pdk trans.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:33 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
Wow... I'm feeling really good about my $244/month lease right now.

Love the look of the Macan. Even mentioned to my wife tthat we should drive one to see if it captured the Porsche feel that I love so much in my Cayman. But at $50k+, it didn't even warrant a test drive in my book.
Well, I don't want to understate the Macan interior quality. The quality fit and finish is top notch and extremely nice even if it is a mess of buttons. It is just the base engine is lazy, the transmission, even in "sport mode" was slow and it did not feel sporty. If you want something with a nice ride, very quiet, comfortable, and luxurious interior then it is a very nice machine. It just really does not feel sporty. The driving experience felt as isolated as my 328i with the numb steering and soft in the middle body roll.

The CX5 has some fun too it and has, for its price bracket, a premium interior when you get the top trim. Given that one will cost a little north of $30k and the other will be about $60k my own personal decision would be easy. Now people will walk up to you all day long and tell you how they envy the Macan as opposed to the Mazda being called "cute" but money is money. I'd never have interest in a crossover as anything more than a car parked in the driveway for occasional use, but even if I was going to daily the thing, I'd take the CX-5 and have a side of Miata/GTI or some other place to put the extra $30k

The Macan was very nice, but it just does not do anything for me that says it merits over about $45k new for that base model, even with all of the options stuffed into it.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mijae007
Actually feel bad for all the new macan owners, especially with the 4cyl and crap suspension, the new macans feel like a vw tiguan...cheap.
I haven't been keeping up with the Macan, but the base model has different suspension than the S? What's the main difference?
Old 06-07-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

MB's GLC series is a higher bang-for-the-buck alternative to the Macan. The 362hp twin-turbo V6 GLC43 AMG starts at $55k and the 469hp twin-turbo V8 GLC63 AMG is coming in 2018. I'd guess that the GLC63 will be priced between the Macan S and the Macan GTS and way below the Macan Turbo.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:49 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by waltk88
MB's GLC series is a higher bang-for-the-buck alternative to the Macan.
GLC has more style to it; inside and out over the Macan. Will be interesting to see how the Alfa Stelvio and Range Rover Velar fit into the equation.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by GSteg
I haven't been keeping up with the Macan, but the base model has different suspension than the S? What's the main difference?
sorry after thinking about it i think the difference i felt was between a macan with and without the steering upgrade. Engine wise, the newer base model 4cyl engine fell flat on its face, felt like it was trying too hard to go fast. On top of that steering feel was very poor, felt like a corolla in all honesty. Also for some reason the radio/navi interface looked like it took a step backwards too. It wasnt as refined, and just looked cheaper, like on our previous jetta. Its hard to describe the differences in words. I guess what im trying to say is if youre seriously looking into buying a macan, test drive the v6 tt version at least the "s" model before pulling the trigger on a base model macan. For the money there are a lot of other cars i would buy over the base macan. But when shopping the v6 tt macan s, when well equipped it has the potential to be one hell of a car.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:47 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Mijae007
sorry after thinking about it i think the difference i felt was between a macan with and without the steering upgrade. Engine wise, the newer base model 4cyl engine fell flat on its face, felt like it was trying too hard to go fast. On top of that steering feel was very poor, felt like a corolla in all honesty. Also for some reason the radio/navi interface looked like it took a step backwards too. It wasnt as refined, and just looked cheaper, like on our previous jetta. Its hard to describe the differences in words. I guess what im trying to say is if youre seriously looking into buying a macan, test drive the v6 tt version at least the "s" model before pulling the trigger on a base model macan. For the money there are a lot of other cars i would buy over the base macan. But when shopping the v6 tt macan s, when well equipped it has the potential to be one hell of a car.
The rub though, at least if you believe the automotive press like I perhaps too easily do, was back when you bought your 2015 they were saying it was tops in its class. Now it seems to lose comparisons. The last one I read I think was in motor Trend and it finished third to the Merc and I think the Jag F-Pace. The gussied up Macan was $90k, and the first place Jag was only low seventies.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:24 AM

Conspiracies. Lol. Yea, my wife and i thought what the hell when we got a loaner 2016 base macan during the time we dropped off our 15 macan s for serivice. Looks identical, but did not feel like the same car at all.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:59 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm getting some warranty work done on the GT3. I hope I get a Macan loaner. Curious to see how it compares to my GLC.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:52 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I test drove a Turbo Macan and it was pretty darn quick at low speeds. The launch control was hilarious fun.

Quick Reply: Have a 2017 Macan today, service loaner