Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Help me decide what to do! (Daily Driver Needed)

Old 02-10-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide what to do! (Daily Driver Needed)

Hey everyone!
I lurk most of the time around here, but this past week I've been trying to figure out what to do with my current car situation, so I'm here now venting, and looking for advice. Thanks to anyone in advance who is bored and reads all of this!
I'll cut right to it. I own three cars, a 2006 S2000, a 2003 RSX Type-S, and a 2002 Accord. The Accord is obviously my daily driver right now with 260,000 miles today. The car has a few issues from time to time but just this week a semi cracked my window as I drove by, and the very next day a kamikaze deer assaulted the side of my drive side fender/door destroying the fender and denting the door badly. Now I'm left with the paint on the fender and door cracked off. It's getting to the point where I'm just getting tired of driving a boring car and spending money every month/few months on some part to fix a CEL or preventative measures to keep it in good health and now this damage. Maybe I should just suck it up and fix the fender with one from a wreck and fix the door, replace the window?

Now, my S2000 and RSX are modded, the RSX is heavily modded but still NA. I couldn't bring myself to part with the RSX when I got the S2000 a few years ago. The RSX was my first project and I just never see a clean example like the one I have and I'm so attached to it from all of the work I've done.

I'm feeling like I should part ways with the RSX though and the Accord. I'm thinking about buying a local '14 WRX in WRB with 22k miles that I found as a daily, keeping the S2000 as my only toy/garage queen.

Has anyone here sold a car that they really loved, being attached to it but found out in the end that they didn't miss it like they thought? I know if I sell it, I'll never have or find another one like it and don't want to regret it every day. But, the older I get I know I don't need two cars sitting most of the time in my garage not getting used as much as they should.
What are some good options knowing my situation? All cars are paid off, except the S2000, I owe on it until late summer this year and it'll be paid off also. Sell the RSX and Accord and get a new daily? WRX, GTI maybe? Fix my granny Accord that's served me well and continue on?

I apologize for the poor layout of this wall of text. I've had a week and just slamming the keys down, haha! I guess the point of all this is, what are some good daily drivers to consider, what would you do, did you regret selling a car you had? Feel free to touch on one or all if you've been there done that before.
Let me know, thanks again everyone!
Old 02-10-2017, 04:57 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I think it comes down to how much sentimental value the RSX has and that is up to you to decide. I couldn't really see having 2 nice cars just sitting around and a beater for a daily driver. For me, I'd much rather drive a newer GTI or WRX as a daily and keep the S2000 as a garage queen. That would be a really nice combo, IMO. I haven't test driven one yet, but very good chance I will be picking up a GTI for my next daily. My daily has gone from an Integra to a Mazda3 hatch, basically stock but I have enjoyed them quite bit in manual form.

Does a clean RSX still get a nice price? If you keep the S2000 and RSX, I guess the next option would be get a different daily that is slightly newer but still inexpensive to operate.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A clean RSX that's Arctic Blue Pearl like mine with the mileage I have is probably worth around 8k stock. I have a ton of mods done to it, all of which are genuine and very tastefully done. A lot of attention to detail, even things like Spoon brakes (S2000 version too) It's really done up nice. The thing is and we all know it, selling it with mods no matter how well done, makes it hard to sell and get what you want for it.
I've thought about keeping it and just getting a less expensive daily, but I want something I'll be happy with. A WRX/S2000 combo seems nice and I know I would enjoy a car like that for a daily, I just have to get over my mental attachment to the RSX.

I haven't sold a car for about two years, and the last one I sold was my old red AP1 with 6k original miles. I used this website and AutoTrader (which seems a lot less popular even two years ago than it used to) but I have noticed these days a lot of people use CarGurus? Is that a good choice nowadays, or eBay, any recommendations?
Old 02-10-2017, 06:33 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Never sell a car you are attached to. Ever.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Never sell a car you are attached to. Ever.
huh? I'm attached to all my cars some varying amount when I go to sell them. So never sell a car?
Old 02-11-2017, 05:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You will regret selling that RSX, based on what you've said. Don't do it.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Sell the Accord and daily the RSX. It will never be worth a fortune as a collector car, so you may as well enjoy driving it and getting use out of it. Unless you drive in the snow often, scratch the WRX. A new GTI is a fine choice, but your RSX is paid for.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

I'd either start using the RSX for a daily or sell it and the accord and get a 15 wrx. You don't want an EJ motor. Spend a few extra bucks for a 15 with the FA DIT in it.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Had many cars I adored while I owned and even reminisce about some of them years later, but never regretted selling any of them. The closest was actually the S2000. My end of lease buy out was super cheap and if I was in a position to have done so, should've bought it out. Only had room for one car and 4 years as that as daily was plenty for me. I was so under on the miles it was crazy...
Old 02-12-2017, 03:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can afford it, I'd sell the RSX and Accord and go with a new WRX as a daily driver. I just think three cars is a lot for one person, so I can see why your S2000 and RSX don't get driven much. It wouldn't hurt to take one to the dealership and take one out for a drive if you haven't already. I think two cars is a better balance, though I know there's many here who may disagree with me, just offering my opinion.

Quick Reply: Help me decide what to do! (Daily Driver Needed)