Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Help me find a daily driver

Old 05-17-2018, 05:36 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Help me find a daily driver

I think I need some of your help finding the right daily driver for myself. After reading through the forum, you guys seems to have a more open mind when it comes to cars so I'd like to get your opinion on my situation.

To give a little background:
I've owned my S2000 since 2011. It was my daily driver until 2017, when I bought a Focus RS. Paid it off in full but I didn't really like it. I thought I needed a practical car but turns out I hated having a practical car as my sole car. Never used the back seats or trunk.

Sold the Focus RS in February and used the money to buy a Mazda CX-3 for the family and pocketed the rest of the cash.

I've been splitting daily duties between the S2000 and my girlfriend's old Rav4 (she drives the CX-3 now). We surprisingly sold the Rav4 two weeks ago so I've been resigned to driving the S2000 full-time. Great car but it is very close to a full time track car at this point. Wing, splitter, seat, poly bushings, exhaust, etc. So it's a pain going to/from work. It's quite exhausting driving on the highway to work with the car being as twitchy as it is.

So I am looking for a fun daily to drive everyday and keep completely stock and transition the S2000 into a full time track car, but still keep it insured to drive to events or random around town excursions.

My goal if I'm paying cash is a max of $10-$12k. It has to be stick. Currently this is what I've thought of:

1. Finance an ND if I can get a 0 interest deal. Really liked it when I drove it. Not as much as the S2000 but I like what it offers around town driving. Or a used ND in the 20 range. Kind of open to a cheapo NC. This would be my choice if the rumor of the 186hp didn't come out. I don't want the old model right before an upgrade.
2. Used BRZ/FRs. 10-12 range. Definitely not willing to spend more on this car. Not in love with it but has potential and is kinda practical.
3. Another S2000 around the 10 range. Best bang for the buck as it won't depreciate much. Being how reliable they are I don't want to spend more just to get a low mileage one.
4. That's really all I got.

I really want something that hopefully just needs fluid maintenance and that's it. I'm working on the S2K almost every weekend before events so I don't want two cars to work on. It will not be modded at all. The goal is to get into an entry level P car when the house is paid off in a couple years so this car would mostly be a stopgap. I am open to a more practical car since I am keeping the S2000 for fun times but don't like SUVs/trucks/sedans and the sort. Biggest car would probably be a Crosstrek. I want to start making products for the ND and BRZ, so that's another reason I'm interested in them.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

​​

Last edited by roel03; 05-17-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:46 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Fiat 500 Abarth or Miata are the first two that come to mind. Other cars are going to get older and would require more service which is against your mandate stated earlier.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I use a 2016 Rav4 SE as my daily driver. The SE has amazing suspension for a little SUV and that is what sold me on it versus a lower model Rav4. I was looking for something that could offer a little utility, be a quiet highway cruiser and not be a terrible bore around town. My SE handles better than my Mustang. Sounds like that might be a bit out of your desired price range and may not be a great fit since you don't need utility.
  • I'd be with you on the BRZ. I really like those cars and you really don't see them often in my area. They are more rare than seeing a WRX. You'd have something fairly unique and not cookie cutter.
  • What about a Mini Cooper S? They are surprisingly roomy and have cool handling characteristics. As long as you can put up with them being a little finicky but you can pick them up pretty inexpensively.
  • I don't think I would get another S2000 if I were you. For me, it is fun having some variety.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 08:11 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I was in a similar position, now I have a Fiesta ST.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
  • What about a Mini Cooper S? They are surprisingly roomy and have cool handling characteristics. As long as you can put up with them being a little finicky but you can pick them up pretty inexpensively
Forgot about the Mini line up. There are several models all that are fun to drive and in a manual.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:46 AM

I owned one of the first new Mini-S that came into the country back in 2002 (?), and had one of the first prototype JCW kits. The Fiesta feels like the Mini in most ways, but I haven't driven a newer one yet.
Not trying to sell one, just throwing it out there.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:06 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I second the Fiat Abarth. My wife drives one as her daily and it is a fun little car. Mini is another good choice or maybe a VW GTI? Pretty sure any of those could be had for that price range.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Bri

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

If you don't mind high miles and can wrench on your own, I'd suggest an E90/E92 335i. So cheap now for how much power you get.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bri
If you don't mind high miles and can wrench on your own, I'd suggest an E90/E92 335i. So cheap now for how much power you get.
An E46 falls apart enough, and they are cheaper to maintain. I wouldn't want to deal with a 335i. A 128i MSport, maybe, which is basically the spiritual successor to something like the E46 330i ZHP.
Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
I second the Fiat Abarth. My wife drives one as her daily and it is a fun little car. Mini is another good choice or maybe a VW GTI? Pretty sure any of those could be had for that price range.
Problem with the GTI is that that puts you in insanely clean / low mileage MK5 or nice-ish MK6 range for that price. The MK7 is a much, much better car.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I drove a Fiat 500 a couple years ago around Europe. While cool and I bet the Abarth is better, I can't see myself ever owning one.
​​​​​​
I had thought of the GTI and was looking for a few recently but was having trouble finding one in stick. I'll keep up searching for one.

I am interested in the Mini. A quick search shows a 2006 or so can be had for $4-$5k so I would be breaking even on the rav4. I've never driven one but always been a fan.

Quick Reply: Help me find a daily driver