Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Help me find a daily driver

Old 05-17-2018, 10:57 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

You're going to research the Mini a bit, I think there is a single specific year you want for them as they are plagued with problems otherwise.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

If you haven't tried one, drive a 350Z. They are a bit on the heavy side, but comfortable and could make a decent DD. The V6 is torquey so makes stop/start traffic easier than some of the smaller displacement cars mentioned above.

Something to try on the FRS/BRZ: drive one on a hot day with the AC on. I was considering one for a DD and then on a test drive found that the combination of heat soak and load from the AC made it a dog off the line. I could barely stay with a mom in her Chrysler minivan ahead of me The S2000 suffers from this as well, but the FRS seemed even worse.
The following users liked this post:
john d (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 12:45 PM
Community Organizer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Do what I did and get a C5. Good ones can be had for pretty cheap, they are practical "enough", and fun to drive. Pretty reliable, but do have their quirks.

I was a big modder with the S2k but haven't changed anything on my C5. It's still stock except the cat back exhaust it came with. Polar opposite of the S2k, but fun to live on the other side sometimes.

Just a thought.

Last edited by lane_viper; 05-17-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by roel03
I am interested in the Mini. A quick search shows a 2006 or so can be had for $4-$5k so I would be breaking even on the rav4. I've never driven one but always been a fan.
Mini has some great lease deals that could work for you. Very attractive rates
Old 05-17-2018, 03:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll throw in my two cents here. Just bought a 2018 VW GTI S and can highly recommend it as a second car to the S2000. I went with the DSG so wifey can drive on long trips and I don't regret it. The S2000 and GTI compliment and don't compete with each other. The GTI is practical, roomy, torquey, automatic, German, and comfortable while being quick as compared to the raw, high-reving, manual, convertible S2000.

Owned a BRZ and the S2000 for a little while together before I got the Golf. The problem I ran into was that the S and the BRZ are just very similar and competed too much with one another. The BRZ is more practical but in the end...they are both dedicated sports car platforms with no torque and and a high-revving nature.

Summary: The BRZ made sense to me as an only do it all car (autocross, track, daily, carry people), but the S2000/GTI two car combination is better because they are so different but do each purpose much better.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GTflyer0116
I'll throw in my two cents here. Just bought a 2018 VW GTI S and can highly recommend it as a second car to the S2000. I went with the DSG so wifey can drive on long trips and I don't regret it. The S2000 and GTI compliment and don't compete with each other. The GTI is practical, roomy, torquey, automatic, German, and comfortable while being quick as compared to the raw, high-reving, manual, convertible S2000.

Owned a BRZ and the S2000 for a little while together before I got the Golf. The problem I ran into was that the S and the BRZ are just very similar and competed too much with one another. The BRZ is more practical but in the end...they are both dedicated sports car platforms with no torque and and a high-revving nature.

Summary: The BRZ made sense to me as an only do it all car (autocross, track, daily, carry people), but the S2000/GTI two car combination is better because they are so different but do each purpose much better.
I am with you on this, love my GTI as daily driver in addition to the S2000. It might not be what he wants though if the Focus RS was too boring and practical. As mentioned, he would probably have to get a MK6 in that price range. No personal experience but everything I have read suggests the MK7 is a much better car.

I like both the C5 and 350Z suggestions. I think they are much more suited for a daily driver than a modded S2000 yet still offer a decent amount of fun.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:44 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm not a fan of the 350Z or Vette. I'm more of a lightweight small car kind of guy. Unlike some others, I have no qualms with something like an S2000 as a daily. I put the top down every day it doesn't rain, even on 100°F days. I really would like a convertible as my daily if I could find something that fits the bill. The S2000 would be running the hardtop full time in this scenario. That's kind of why the Miata is first on my list.

I agree with others that have posted that I'd like some variety. The 2nd car and S2000 wouldn't really be competing with each other in my case. I would imagine the S2000 getting 100 miles a month on the street but around 2 track days a month.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:59 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

ND Miata is my vote. I love my GTI but if the Focus RS was too "boring" then OP needs something sportier.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:00 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Variety is key when you have more than one car. I drove my Cobra to work today and it makes you appreciate the differences between vehicles. I know what each car can and can't do and I appreciate the positive qualities of each even more.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:11 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
Variety is key when you have more than one car. I drove my Cobra to work today and it makes you appreciate the differences between vehicles. I know what each car can and can't do and I appreciate the positive qualities of each even more.
I agree. I find the GTI to be a welcome change from the S2000 being comfier, torquier and having a different character, but I acknowledge that's just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Help me find a daily driver