Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Here's the 'problem' with the M3

Old 03-03-2008, 06:08 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Here's the 'problem' with the M3

from what I can tell the M3 is a fantastic car and I've been reading a lot on the M3 forums. Guy from Denmark says we (US) are getting a great deal, a M3 costs almost 2x as much in Denmark as a 335i

in the US a 335i costs $42K and the M3 coupe costs $58K so if a US M3 costs 2x as much as a 335i it would be $84K

My problem with the M3 is that it's low price goes away quickly. It's getting (possible) for a M3 to be optioned over $70K

For example:

straight off the M3 coupe costs $2700 more than the M3 sedan, for that all you get is the CF roof. With the 335i coupe comes with sports suspension so the real price is difference b/t the sedan and coupe is $1300.

the M3 is you are almost forced to get the Technology Package $3,250. That's the only way to get the M Drive button (which has special settings you can't otherwise get mainly for the stability control) also only way to get Comfort Acess and comes with navi, active shocks and i-drive.

The Dual clutch is another feature many will want to buy, it's $2700. It's likely this is a big feature that will appeal to people who want both the control of a MT and the comfort of a AT.

Premium stereo is $1900 (the base stereo in the M3 is lesser than the base stereo in the 335i) so many people would reasonably be expected to upgrade the stereo

19" wheels (upgrade from 18") is not too costly $1200
Heated seats $500
I-Pod integration $400
Bluetooth $750
Metalic paint $475
Leather (you have to get it's not an option but they charge you $950)
GG tax $1300

So that brings the M3 coupe to $70,400 (and there are still more options you can add)

I agree you don't need all those options but a base GTR (has DSG, Active shocks, Navi, Bluetooth, 20" wheels etc..).

What I'm driving at the M3 IMO is a much better deal without $12K in options but many of the options (dual clutch, bluetooth, Technology Package are almost essential.)

So if the cost is +/- same as the GTR than it comes down to 'other' reasons why to buy the M3 over the GTR.

-M3 may be looked at as a higher quality car (?) and the M3 (IMO) has a nicer looking interior. I don't say 100% for sure, but from reading it could be the M3 is a good deal nicer interior. But that's a question if people are going to put things like nicer interior and nicer (larger) rear seats ahead of the superior performance of the GTR?

In a way the same/similar things apply with the Z06 which is ~$66K and has another 100hp over a M3 but probably lower interior and no rear seat.

I look at this question somewhat like the Aston Vantage which is slower than a Z06 (by a lot) but it costs way more. But easily people will say the Aston has the advantage of style and higher status and better interior.

My point is the M3 coupe (fantastic car) but when it's priced with $12K in options just to get to the base equipment of the GTR than the price/value is not there so it needs to have the higher interior and status. Will people look at the $70K Nissan as a glorified Z-car or as a true legitimate cut-price 911 turbo?

I don't mean to bring down the M3 so much as to say it's going to be harder to justify one at $71K than it is at $62K (with few options).
Old 03-03-2008, 06:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

same... I can't wait till they hit the use market next year, 60ish is still too high for me
Old 03-03-2008, 06:39 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am kind of looking at both and have not heard a lot of bad things.

The M3 really has to step into the roll of luxury/sport GT-car. It's can't stand too near the Z06 or the GTR who's track cred is far superior.

I go back to the M3 will have real rear seats (unlike the GTR) and the M3 is (IMO) looked at as a higher status (ie. BMW v Nissan).

I have not seen them with my own eyes, but to look at the pics, the GTR is a step lower than the M3 with interior style or materials.

I am not saying either is a work of art, but the GTR - navi dash seems like it was put together as an afterthought or maybe better to say they put the money where you can't see it.

Rear seats:

Old 03-03-2008, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's the problem with almost all of the car comparisons in magazines or on this site; they are never between comparably equipped cars... the M3 seems like a great deal until you equip it the way you'd like to actually have one... ditto with the Cayman S...I can't option one for less than 72k the way I'd want it.

I just don't see paying that kind of coin for either of those cars; it's to the point where I could almost rock 2 cars for that price.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by rai,Mar 3 2008, 07:39 PM
I am kind of looking at both and have not heard a lot of bad things.

The M3 really has to step into the roll of luxury/sport GT-car. It's can't stand too near the Z06 or the GTR who's track cred is far superior.

I go back to the M3 will have real rear seats (unlike the GTR) and the M3 is (IMO) looked at as a higher status (ie. BMW v Nissan).

I have not seen them with my own eyes, but to look at the pics, the GTR is a step lower than the M3 with interior style or materials.

I am not saying either is a work of art, but the GTR - navi dash seems like it was put together as an afterthought or maybe better to say they put the money where you can't see it.

those are some seriously depressing interiors ^^.

Makes the ISF look more attractice all the time...
Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 PM

The BMW looks like a grey grenade went off and then they put the badge on the wheel. I am sure the materials are top notch in the M3 but the GT-R looks better with the contrasting colors and the Gran Turismo gauges.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, BMW did a GREAT job with pricing their M3 to where it seems as though it is the bargain of the century... till you tack on things you actually want. The M3 is geared more towards enthusiasts and alot of the options are basically almost needs instead of wants for us. I cant imagine driving a base M3 to be honest...
Old 03-03-2008, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can anyone that has an S2000 say they couldn't imagine driving a base M3?

I see nothing in the list Rai put up that an enthusiast needs.
heated seats?
blue tooth?

are you kidding me?

19 inch rims instead of 18 inch rims? woo hoo...crazy performance increase.

i-drive..barf
active shocks...coil-overs after market
upgraded stereo...aftermarket save you bunch of money and will be a lot better

I'm sorry, but I fail to see where anyone interested in performance needs to spend anywhere near 70k to get an M3.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with the new M3 isn't the price. The problem is it had its sex appeal surgically removed. I'm not feeling my pulse rise when I look at this car. Performance and handling, sure I get that. But I'm get a white-goods appliance vibe usually reserved for grocery getters when I see this machine. I know, opinions vary.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Mar 3 2008, 08:17 PM
How can anyone that has an S2000 say they couldn't imagine driving a base M3?

I see nothing in the list Rai put up that an enthusiast needs.
heated seats?
blue tooth?

are you kidding me?

19 inch rims instead of 18 inch rims? woo hoo...crazy performance increase.

i-drive..barf
active shocks...coil-overs after market
upgraded stereo...aftermarket save you bunch of money and will be a lot better

I'm sorry, but I fail to see where anyone interested in performance needs to spend anywhere near 70k to get an M3.
Because I buy a BMW to have luxuries and gadgets, creature comforts etc.

I have a 335 in the garage as we speak... its optioned out to almost 48k but I personally think it is worth it. A simple chip has made the car a blast to drive... as if the motor was not great enough from the get-go.

Quick Reply: Here's the 'problem' with the M3