Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda’s Turbo 4-Cylinder

Old 09-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda’s Turbo 4-Cylinder

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...otor-show.html

Enthusiasts have been calling for turbocharged Hondas for over a decade and finally the Japanese automaker has decided to listen. But there is a catch.

Officially revealed at the Paris Motor Show today , the company’s new HR-412E powerplant is a turbocharged 1.6-liter 4-cylinder motor that also features direct injection. It’s not a production engine, however, and is instead designed specifically for the new Civic World Touring Car Championship (WTCC) race car.

It is, however, a strong indication of the direction Honda intends to take with the upcoming Civic Type R, which only this week Honda CEO Takanobu Ito confirmed will go into production specifically for the European market (another catch).

In a release Honda says the future Civic Type R will make use of the “technologies developed through Honda’s participation in the World Touring Car Championships (WTCC).” Reading between the lines, it’s very likely that means a turbocharged direct-injection powerplant.

In addition, Honda says the new Type R will, “aim to set new standards in performance and handling,” with a goal of being the fastest front-drive car on the Nurburgring.

In summary, a turbocharged Honda engine might make it into the new Civic Type R, which isn’t planned for the US (though there’s still the possibility ), and Honda’s enthusiast fan base will have to be patient too, with the car not expected until 2015.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yawn
Old 09-29-2012, 05:48 PM

I like how everyone from the US "yawns" (from the CTR thread I posted) when they are not getting a particular car from a particular maker. Are you really that disinterested that Honda is:

a. trying to lift it's brand image in terms of sportiness
b. perhaps changing it's appliance-car making ethos
c. as such, will likely provide other sporty cars to the US market anyway?

Old 09-29-2012, 06:01 PM

I lost faith in Honda many moons ago, and it doesn't look like it's going to be restored anytime soon.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hopefully it will have more horsepower than half of these family sedans on the road these days.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I've recently driven two cars with different DI turbo-4 engines - the current Audi A4 and BMW 328i. Low-end torque exists in abundance, and response is instantaneous. Both cars have relatively low redlines unfortunately, and while the BMW maintains its thrust to redline (for a factory claim of 240 hp which seems to be an underrated 270ish since it dynos at over 230 on a dynojet) the Audi runs out of breath and tops out at a factory rating of 211. Both engines deliver some surprisingly good gas mileage - mid to high 30s on the highway. Honda would do well to adopt this sort of tech - efficient and sporty.

I think an S2000 replacement with a twin turbo direct-injection 2.4L V6 spinning to 8000 and producing 240 lb-ft and 320 hp while getting 30-35mpg would be awesome. Offer it in hatch (like Spoon hardtop) and cab form; 6spd manual and 7spd dual-clutch; sport, club race and touring trims. All RWD, LSD, 50/50 weight. No hybrid.

I'd go for a hatch 7spd CR. And I'd be willing to pay a fair bit for it. But I doubt it'll ever happen. Keep in mind the 2009 CR's MSRP was $37k. And that the Yen is super strong compared to the Dollar so it takes a LOT of Dollars right now to pay for anything made in a Yen based economy.

The strength of the Yen is, I suspect, a big reason the US isn't mentioned as a target for the CTR.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:03 PM

TL;DR (lol)

Interesting, it wasn't their first try at it though. I believe the Turbo K-series engine in the 1st-gen Acura RDX was Honda's first attempt at a Turbo 4-cylinder. I own this car and the turbo engine makes it an interesting drive I'm relieved that Honda hasn't abandoned Turbo development completely-- it seemed like they did when they put a standard V-6 in the later generations of RDX.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spoonyBard
TL;DR (lol)

Interesting, it wasn't their first try at it though. I believe the Turbo K-series engine in the 1st-gen Acura RDX was Honda's first attempt at a Turbo 4-cylinder. I own this car and the turbo engine makes it an interesting drive I'm relieved that Honda hasn't abandoned Turbo development completely-- it seemed like they did when they put a standard V-6 in the later generations of RDX.
That engine should have been in the Civic Si.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by nofearofdanger
I like how everyone from the US "yawns" (from the CTR thread I posted) when they are not getting a particular car from a particular maker. Are you really that disinterested that Honda is:

The U.S. is still the biggest car market on the planet (for the moment). Honda has plenty of manufacturing resources in North America thereby negating the "Yen effect". Honda had a huge fan base (rapidly dwindling) from the 1990's and 2000's. And yet every car they announce that would be of even passing interest to an enthusiast is specifically NOT destined for this market. Instead we get cheapened Civics, bloated Accords, an endless parade of obnoxious SUV variants, and an Acura lineup that was developed in the ugly labs by blind stylists who graduated from the Helen Keller school.

So feel free to all you like. Until there is some sign of life from Honda North America, they will continue to bleed the customer base they spent 20 years creating. Then they can spend the next 20 years winning them back from Ford, Chevy, Nissan, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, VW, and soon Alfa. Any automaker knows those conquest sales are by far the easiest and cheapest to come by. And this time, Honda won't have the advantage of a domestic industry stuck in 1969. Ford and GM are no longer a joke.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
Originally Posted by nofearofdanger' timestamp='1348969680' post='22047073

The U.S. is still the biggest car market on the planet (for the moment). Honda has plenty of manufacturing resources in North America thereby negating the "Yen effect". Honda had a huge fan base (rapidly dwindling) from the 1990's and 2000's. And yet every car they announce that would be of even passing interest to an enthusiast is specifically NOT destined for this market. Instead we get cheapened Civics, bloated Accords, an endless parade of obnoxious SUV variants, and an Acura lineup that was developed in the ugly labs by blind stylists who graduated from the Helen Keller school.

So feel free to all you like. Until there is some sign of life from Honda North America, they will continue to bleed the customer base they spent 20 years creating. Then they can spend the next 20 years winning them back from Ford, Chevy, Nissan, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, VW, and soon Alfa. Any automaker knows those conquest sales are by far the easiest and cheapest to come by. And this time, Honda won't have the advantage of a domestic industry stuck in 1969. Ford and GM are no longer a joke.
Sorry, US biggest car market... what?

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/chi...icle-1.1170318

Just as a point of information... all Honda makes these days are "bloated Accords" and "an endless parade of obnoxious SUV variants" It's not like you US guys are receiving some kind of especially bad treatment. The fact that they are TRYING to do something with a new CTR, a new convertible and a new NSX should be good news for any Honda enthusiast regardless.

Quick Reply: Honda’s Turbo 4-Cylinder