S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Honda LaneWatch up for AOL Autos Tech of the Year (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/honda-lanewatch-up-aol-autos-tech-year-994718/)

xmartin 12-11-2012 08:06 AM

Honda LaneWatch up for AOL Autos Tech of the Year

Chris from Honda PR here, and, even though it's not S2000 related, I figured some of you are Honda fans and might want to help a new Honda technology win the AOL Autos Technology of the Year award. Honda's new LaneWatch blind spot monitor is up against Ford, Cadillac, Chrysler, Audi and Nissan, and so far, LaneWatch is winning the popular vote, which ends tomorrow. I want a solid win, and I'd appreciate any support that members of S2KI can offer.

Voting ends on 12/12/2012, and you can view the various technologies and vote here: http://autos.aol.com/award/

Thanks!

closetgeek 12-11-2012 08:26 AM

Its one of the many reasons why I want the new Accord. Ill vote.

cbehney 12-11-2012 08:42 AM

How come a Honda PR professional doesn't have a paid membership here?? :)

xmartin 12-11-2012 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by cbehney (Post 22203526)
How come a Honda PR professional doesn't have a paid membership here?? :)

I'm sorry, but I let it lapse a year or two ago after I sold my S2000. :( I still value the S2000 community as among the biggest supporters of Honda, and I'm glad to see that the forums are still going strong.

marthafokker 12-11-2012 10:26 AM

Honda should only get 1/2 the aware if they win. Was hoping to see it for both left/right instead of just the right side.

I do not buy the crappy explanation why the left side was not implemented.

xmartin 12-11-2012 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by marthafokker (Post 22203820)
Honda should only get 1/2 the aware if they win. Was hoping to see it for both left/right instead of just the right side.

I'm not sure what explanation you heard, but it's simply not logical to have the center screen display the driver's side blind spot. Think about it...if you're on the freeway intending to change lanes, you typically look in the direction toward which you want to go, looking in the mirror and still seeing what's ahead of you in that same direction. If LaneWatch showed the driver's side blind spot, a driver would look at the center screen, to his right, and potentially not see cars or obstructions ahead and to the left, where he's going. LaneWatch works great for right turns or lane changes because you look up and to the right, allowing you to see both the road ahead and what's in the blind spot at the same time.

Honda did install a curved section on the outer edge of the driver's side mirror to help see cars in that side's blind spot.

Hope that makes sense.

marthafokker 12-11-2012 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by xmartin (Post 22204194)

Originally Posted by marthafokker' timestamp='1355253977' post='22203820

I'm not sure what explanation you heard, but it's simply not logical to have the center screen display the driver's side blind spot. Think about it...if you're on the freeway intending to change lanes, you typically look in the direction toward which you want to go, looking in the mirror and still seeing what's ahead of you in that same direction. If LaneWatch showed the driver's side blind spot, a driver would look at the center screen, to his right, and potentially not see cars or obstructions ahead and to the left, where he's going. LaneWatch works great for right turns or lane changes because you look up and to the right, allowing you to see both the road ahead and what's in the blind spot at the same time.

Honda did install a curved section on the outer edge of the driver's side mirror to help see cars in that side's blind spot.

Hope that makes sense.

That is a Marketing brain wash I am talking about.

Just say Range Rover knew what they are doing with their version. Honda is no Range Rover when it comes to toys, which this one is.

bkowa092 12-11-2012 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by marthafokker (Post 22204329)

Originally Posted by xmartin' timestamp='1355262075' post='22204194
[quote name='marthafokker' timestamp='1355253977' post='22203820']

Hope that makes sense.

That is a Marketing brain wash I am talking about.

Just say Range Rover knew what they are doing with their version. Honda is no Range Rover when it comes to toys, which this one is.
[/quote]

xmartin's reasoning makes perfect sense to me. If I am merging into the left lane, the last place I want to be looking is to the center of my car.

Saki GT 12-12-2012 05:33 AM

I don't find Honda's system that innovative. I like Nissan's horn/tire pressure thing though.

ninjajwl 12-12-2012 06:06 AM

AOL is still around? :feint: