Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai to buy Fiat Chrysler?

Old 06-30-2018, 04:01 AM

Received 1,108 Likes on 988 Posts
Default Hyundai to buy Fiat Chrysler?

Old 07-02-2018, 04:30 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

He's been trying to sell FCA for years - I guess Hyundai is the latest suitor?

Hyundai Jeeps anyone?
Old 07-02-2018, 06:14 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Supposedly, Jeep is one of the most valuable brands of any in autodom. Ram is decent too. The rest? Not so much. Dodge is barely holding on, Chysler has a couple models and should go the way of Plymouth. I don't know what owning Fiat means outside of Europe. Alfa , Lancia and Maserati could all be sold off to someone else.

Chrysler brands are quite the red headed stepchild. Just can't find a home anywhere. Without Jeep they would have folded long ago.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

The funny thing with Jeep is, that literally every company that's ever owned Jeep has gone under. So bizarre.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:56 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
The funny thing with Jeep is, that literally every company that's ever owned Jeep has gone under. So bizarre.
Took a long time for Jeep to become what it is on the global stage. I miss the Grand Wagoner; the best looking Jeep product to date.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:31 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I always felt that jeep could be a brand like Porsche in that they cater to a lifestyle. Of course I'm not saying that they could charge Porsche prices, but they have serve an automotive addiction and can really create a lifestyle image. Especially these days people are becoming more outdoorsy and are seeking a more utilitarian look out of a vehicle. The jeep is an iconic shape with a dedicated following and fills a niche. Their resale value says alot and while alot of other makes tried to compete, they just couldn't stay with it.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:07 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

It's funny you say that, considering Jeep Wranglers are $40-58k depending on trim and options already, which is almost 718 money, and that's before aftermarket mods Jeep owners are known for.

Of course I need an offroad jack on my hood for my daily commute! Jeep could totally take the P car options model and buyers would go nuts.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:31 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I always felt that jeep could be a brand like Porsche in that they cater to a lifestyle.
Jeep has a strong brand image and DNA. Ram has that as well to a lesser degree. Those are the two with any value.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:44 AM

Agreed. If you see the money the off road types pour into their rigs and lifestyle, it would give Porsche track rats a run for their money. Theres money to be made there, the resale value on wranglers are insane. Shift their focus on making a more quality product, make it profitable at a lower production price point and you have an object of desire. Heck pro athletes are buying them and tricking them out as well. Then develop a thoughtful lineup of vehicles and you have the makings of a successful brand. Just like Porsche keeps the 911 rear(ish) engined, keep the wrangler DNA in tact but create new models to conform to market trends like EV while keeping an eye on not diluting the jeep brand.

Cars etc are becoming more of a luxury good in densely populated areas. I believe younger folks arent buying cars because they are figuring out they can love without them and the ones they want they cant afford. In this marketing/post for likes society why would anyone desire a Corolla or a HRV? Sedans are dying meanwhile the 3 series, let alone m3 live on. People want to buy something special to make them feel special. That doesnt mean it needs to be exclusive or expensive. Sell people on the lifestyle, get them excited about what they're buying into, and they buy it.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:47 AM

As far as ram goes, great way for Hyundai to enter the truck market. Perhaps merge the ram and dodge name back together as if anyone cares that they're separate. Turn Chrysler into a true luxury brand that could share platforms with genesis and it may just work.

They could then keep Hyundai focused on competing with the japanese vehicles, keep dodge in a more utilitarian brand to address fleet vehicles, ram for trucks, and Chrysler for luxury. I will say though that with genesis Chrysler does become redundant and probably the biggest challenge to get going.

Quick Reply: Hyundai to buy Fiat Chrysler?