Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai Coupe fully undisguised!

Old 11-09-2007, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like they added a few sharper lines and knocked off the solara
Old 11-09-2007, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it doesn't.

Dan
Old 11-09-2007, 05:54 AM

looks good but not really a fan of the rear quarter-window area
Old 11-09-2007, 06:49 AM

I think it looks bad. They totally messed up the front. Theres not one original part of that car. Its a mix between an G and an IS. wtf?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:49 AM

The overall proportions are nice, but nothing out of the ordinary for a coupe. I like that the picture frames the car behind a Mustang because there is a sense of size.

Looking at the car, it is almost impossible to figure out whether it is rear wheel or front wheel drive. That's not bad if you're building a front driver. I am not sure that I would proportion the car that way if it were a rear driver. It might be nicer proportioned if the front wheels were pushed farther to the front of the car to decrease the front overhang. This way the proportions of the car would let the viewer know that the car is a rear driver...almost as if the car had a sense of motion to it created by the cabin being pushed back and the front being longer and lower.

The photos don't indicate much about the rear or front, but from what I see those profiles like nice if not distinguished.

Now for the bad part...the flame surfacing and the parallel character lines. I really think that it has gotten out of hand on some designs, this one included. Call me old fashioned, but I like character lines that draw the eye along a detail of the car or to a design point on the car. Here, the character lines start as parallel lines behind the wheel arch and then fade off to an intersection at the C pillar. Why? What is the designer trying to communicate with this? I understand the sculpting of the car along the rocker panels which gives the car a lighter look. But these lines appear to have no aesthetic function.

To compound this ill-advised intersection, the scalloped look to the bottom of the rear window seems utterly without purpose, at least based on these pictures. I might keep the lower character line but reorient the top one to the C pillar and straighten out the dip at the rear window. This would create a gentle upsweep to the rear window back to the C pillar. This would be less dramatic but more coherent.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by simon122,Nov 8 2007, 11:30 PM

quoting myself, but yes, this is an is250

the new hyundai coupe looks a lot like this guy imo
Old 11-09-2007, 09:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd have to agree that it does copy some cars in terms of its look.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I think it looks fantastic. That tail (in profile) looks very similar to an Aston Martin V8. The side profile is G35/7, Lexus IS, and probably a bit of Eclipse or Accord.

Either way, great looking car. For the price, if this is RWD, I'd almost certainly take it over the V6 Mustang. I'd have to hold off on what I'd choose with a V8.

The V6 Mustang is a piece of crap, so that's why I can say I'd definitely take the Hyundai. It'd have to work to be worse than the Mustang.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:53 AM

wow, I think it looks great. Very impressed. I think it's funny that people accuse hyundai of knocking off other manufacturers...I think it looks like a natural evolution of the old tiburon. Besides, it's not like the IS, G35, Accord, Camry are exactly paragons of styling innovation.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From the profile, the flat that is going from the door to the rear of the car reminds me of my 03 Celica.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Coupe fully undisguised!