Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai Equus finally confirmed for US,

Old 04-01-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Red face Hyundai Equus finally confirmed for US,

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/01/hyundai...uto-show-debut/

Styling is far from groundbreaking, but it has all the good parts imo. I really like the factt that the front end isn't so damn ugly anymore.

When the first Hyundai Excels rolled onto American roads in the late-1980s, it was hard to image the Korean automaker getting taken seriously as a builder of budget cars. Taking on the likes of Mercedes-Benz and BMW would have been an absurd thought. And yet later this year that is exactly what Hyundai is doing as the new Equus begins to arrive at American dealers.

Visually, the the Equus hasn't changed much in its trip across the Pacific. For the U.S. market, the winged hood ornament had been discarded in favor of a flush mounted badge with the same logo that adorned the trunk lid of the Korean market model. The bars of the grille have been replaced with horizontal slats that make it look more like the Genesis sedan.

The Equus is equipped with all the techno-gimmickry one expects in a big luxury sedan today, including adaptive cruise control and navigation. The 4,376-pound is suspended on electronically controlled air springs and power comes from a 385 horsepower version of the 4.6-liter Tau V8 already seeing duty in the Genesis. The only thing the Equus lacks compared to a Lexus or Benz is an oversized sticker price. Hyundai says the Equus will be priced in the mid $50,000 range when it goes on sale later this year. You can check out the full press release (including a by-the-numbers comparison of how the Equus stacks up against its main rivals) after the jump, or check out the high-res gallery below (we'll have live shots from Javitz shortly).
Old 04-01-2010, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

front end looks like lexus ls430
Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grandma's car
Old 04-01-2010, 08:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

50,000 dollars?

Like VW trying to sell the phantom (or however you spell it), this car is too expensive for the brand still.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:01 AM

Basically a stretched version of the Genesis.
I saw the Equus in Korea, and it's far from "Grandma's car".
It actually looks very sporty in person.
Far, far better than the older generation Equus.
I wonder what the price will be on one though.

Dan
Old 04-01-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Apr 1 2010, 08:58 AM
50,000 dollars?

Like VW trying to sell the phantom (or however you spell it), this car is too expensive for the brand still.
Priced at mid $50k, meaning after all the add-ons it'll be close to $60k.
I agree that it's a little too expensive for people to shell out that much money on a Hyundai.
But this car is going to be more of a halo car.
I doubt that Hyundai is expecting to gain profit on this model.
A very good car, though.

Dan
Old 04-01-2010, 09:13 AM

It really reminds me of the Lexus as well, for $20k less.

As for the Phaeton comment, that car failed because it was the same price as an A8, just with less cachet and more complexity. Why buy a VW when you can get an Audi for the same amount?

However, $55k for an Equus is a pretty close to a $65k Lexus LS - for $10k, I think Hyundai will be hard pressed to steal people away from such a brand as Lexus. I guess it will come down to what is standard equipment on the car. If a $55k Equus is loaded already, vs a $75k loaded LS, then you get a big difference in price.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:33 AM

Wow, so the Equus doesn't come with an owner's manual, in print form at least. It comes with an iPad:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/01/2011-hy...ultimedia-tabl/

The big surprise during the Hyundai Equus reveal today at today's New York Auto Show was the automaker's announcement that it would supply each new Equus owner with a "multimedia tablet" to replace the owner's manual. While Hyundai USA president John Krafcik didn't explicitly say that the device in question will be an Apple iPad, the image presented above unquestionably the company's latest gadget. Of course, there's no guarantee that the Hyundai tablet will actually be an Apple product by the time the Equus hits dealers this fall.

The idea behind the tablet is to not only replace the traditional owner's manual – a costly book that's grown increasingly more difficult to navigate with the exponential increase in features, particularly in luxury vehicles – but to handle customer/dealer interactions like scheduling service appointments.

Although the iPad (hitting retailers and pre-orderers' mailboxes this Saturday) is the biggest player in the yet-to-be-tested tablet segment, there are several other manufacturers building slate-like devices for consumers. Dell, JooJoo and others have their own units in the works, but Apple is easily the stand-out... for now.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:50 AM

Hyundai need a needs a premium brand name, alas Lexus/Acura/Infiniti. they should have took the Genissis name and used that.

Maybe its me, but i have a mental block - if im spending more than 20k, im not stopping by the Hyundai dealership
Old 04-01-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by prnstr40,Apr 1 2010, 12:50 PM
Hyundai need a needs a premium brand name, alas Lexus/Acura/Infiniti. they should have took the Genissis name and used that.

Maybe its me, but i have a mental block - if im spending more than 20k, im not stopping by the Hyundai dealership
And that'll be your loss. No need to be a brand whore, open up your mind a bit.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus finally confirmed for US,