Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai Equus finally confirmed for US,

Old 04-01-2010, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's actually 15k more than the V8 Genesis. Judging from the interior photos a lot of money went there. I also would put my money on many of the things, maybe even all, in the tech package being standard which would make it 11.5k more if all of them were standard?

I actually find it interesting how so many people perceive the necessity of a luxury brand. Lexus did not exist in Japan until 2005. It's my opinion that it was created because Toyota was imitating the now failed US auto industry. Part of GM's problems was the number of brands it had, must of which it has now sold off or shut down. At the same time the idea of a $55,000 Hyundai is hard to grasp. As I said earlier, it wasn't so long ago that a $20,000 Hyundai was hard for people to accept. The Sonata seems to be doing very well to me. The starting at $40,000 V8 Genesis seems to be doing well. Why not a $55,000 Equus? I do get questioning whether it's worth it relative to the Genesis, but I don't get just dismissing the idea of a $55,000 Hyundai out of hand.

What about the near $70,000 Toyota Land Cruiser? Why does that even exist given its similarity to the LX which isn't much more? What about the need for a Camry and ES? Taurus and MKS or the Fusion/Milan/MKZ. Why does the entire Mercury brand even exist?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:42 PM

About 100k for vs460 in Korea. Also make Limo version in korea as well for VIP (about 130k)

I driven one in Korea from visit last year.
Couldn't believe how nicely things are built, mind you that car is HUGE.
Lots of nice interior feature, great engine.
I think it could be bigger than 7series bmw.

Far as sales are concerned, its questionable how this will do competing with lexus Ls. But look how many genesis's are on the road these days, i thought they would fail miserably with that particular model.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Apr 1 2010, 08:58 AM
50,000 dollars?

Like VW trying to sell the phantom (or however you spell it), this car is too expensive for the brand still.
That's because they had the Audi A8 to compete with. Talk about cannibalism.

I think the reason Hyundai is doing this is because they can, just like Lexus with the LFA. Although I for one would not buy a Hyundai, no matter how nice it is nor how much praise I give it or it receives. Call me a badge whore
Old 04-02-2010, 05:16 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by curiouz_G,Apr 2 2010, 08:01 AM
That's because they had the Audi A8 to compete with. Talk about cannibalism.

I think the reason Hyundai is doing this is because they can, just like Lexus with the LFA. Although I for one would not buy a Hyundai, no matter how nice it is nor how much praise I give it or it receives. Call me a badge whore
So, if you're a badge whore, why do you drive a Honda?
Old 04-02-2010, 05:54 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Looks great. I like the understated elegance of the Lexus LS and this car has similar proportions and styling.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For those worrying about resale, a lease might work out very well.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people also rolled eyes when the first Lexus LS came out. Those people turned out to be pretty damn wrong (AKA look at Lexus' position now).

It's not comparable to the Phaeton, that was a much more expensive car that a lot of people overlooked next to the A8.

I saw the Equus this year at the Philly auto show, and was pretty impressed. They had one of the Korean-market hood ornaments on it, I'm glad that part is gone.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by GinoGT,Apr 2 2010, 06:15 AM
A lot of people also rolled eyes when the first Lexus LS came out. Those people turned out to be pretty damn wrong (AKA look at Lexus' position now).

It's not comparable to the Phaeton, that was a much more expensive car that a lot of people overlooked next to the A8.

I saw the Equus this year at the Philly auto show, and was pretty impressed. They had one of the Korean-market hood ornaments on it, I'm glad that part is gone.
The Phaeton was, and is, one of the best cars in its class, but it's a case of right car, wrong brand. It had no real price advantage compared to its natural competitiors like the S Class, 7 Series or A8. This car does have a price advantage compared to large imported luxury sedans. I think it will only improve on Hyundai's reputation.

By the way, Car & Driver did a comparison in this month's edition of mid-sized family sedans, and the Hyundai Sonata beat the second place finisher, the Honda Accord, to take the win.

This is a company with a bright future.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Apr 2 2010, 05:16 AM
So, if you're a badge whore, why do you drive a Honda?
What would you have me drive then being on an S2000 forum driving a Honda?
Old 04-02-2010, 07:33 AM

Looks cool. Props to Hyundai for doing so well... but I still believe Hyundai is basically coping everybody's design's and packages. Until they come out with something different, i'm not a believer.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus finally confirmed for US,