S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   I am having problems deciding on a car to buy (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/i-am-having-problems-deciding-car-buy-248911/)

SooZooKa 11-14-2004 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie,Nov 12 2004, 05:42 PM
unless you're gonna mod your s4, i would get a 2002+ a4 3.0 quattro. for around the same price, the a4 3.0 quattro offers nicer styling, nicer ride, and a torquey 3.0 v6 without the turbo lag.

oh yeah, there's been a couple of extensive thread on 00-01 s4 a couple of months ago, and the general consensus is that they are notorious for problems.

What Problems would you be talking about? I only ask because I work on audi's and I may be able to clear some of that up.

As to what steve c said, they are heavy and Audi's shifters Do not like to be short shifted at all and it does kinda suck when your getting on it. I also agree with Steve on the Maintenance costs. Problem is once people start modding there cars and driving crazy thats when stuff will get expensive but that goes along with any car.

Anyways whats your price range?

LUV2REV 11-14-2004 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by steve c,Nov 13 2004, 11:31 AM
The sport part knocks out anything front wheel drive.

Please explain why. Don't want your usual unscientific synopsis either.

Officer_down 11-14-2004 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by steve c,Nov 13 2004, 10:31 AM
Contrary to the comment above, BMW's and Audi's are not any more expensive to maintain (this seems to be a common myth perpetuated on the Internet through ignorance). Things will go wrong with any car and parts are about the same.

That's not entirely true. Certain luxury brands have much more expensive parts than the more affordable makes, such as Honda or Toyota. I think this is pretty much common sense.

VTEC_Junkie 11-14-2004 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Officer_down,Nov 14 2004, 04:28 PM
That's not entirely true. Certain luxury brands have much more expensive parts than the more affordable makes, such as Honda or Toyota. I think this is pretty much common sense.

i don't the think cost of parts itself is the problem. given the same part between a honda and bmw, the bmw part will probably cost $25-50 more on average. the problem is in the labor itself. bmw mechanics tend to charge around $90-$100/hr whereas a honda mechanic would charge significantly less, probably around $65-$75. at least this is my impression from owning both a honda and bmw. i guess if you can fix your own car, and not have to pay labor, then the cost of maintenance/repair between the 2 is not that big of a deal.

TwiBlueG35 11-14-2004 06:54 PM

I assume your budget for the new car is in the $30k-$45k range. I wouldn't get a used vehicle for that kind of money. Here are the cars I want to add:

BMW 330i/330Ci
Infiniti G35 sedan/G35 coupe
Acura TL
Lexus IS300

Those are the ones I like. Among all the luxury car companies, Audi is one of the companies I dislike the most, so not recommendating it.

Mindcore 11-14-2004 07:13 PM

My lease was up, and I needed another winter beater.. I thought of getting alot of cars, but wound up getting a great deal on this..

2001 X5 4.4i
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...1bd993846f.png

Silverstreak HX 11-14-2004 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by steve c,Nov 13 2004, 11:31 AM
The sport part knocks out anything front wheel drive.

Contrary to the comment above, BMW's and Audi's are not any more expensive to maintain (this seems to be a common myth perpetuated on the Internet through ignorance). Things will go wrong with any car and parts are about the same. Regardless the cars you are looking at should be under warranty, either original or certified used from a dealer.

I'm not a fan of the S4. When you boil it all down the car is a heavy pig with the worlds worst shifter and a tendency to have turbo bypass issues.

The BMW you mention is more of a drivers car. You could throw the AWD 330 into the mix as well.

The G35 mentioned above is a contender as well, albeit with a cheaper feel to it.

As far as the sport part knocking out anything front wheel drive then obviously somebody has not driven the Acura TSX or Acura RSX Type S .
Consumer Reports rates the Audi S4 as worse than average reliability so being used to Honda reliability I would say that would be more expensive to maintain .
A coworker had a BMW 3 series and liked it a lot but he said dealer service was definitely outrageously expensive. He traded the car for that reason.
So my vote would be for one of these: Acura TSX,Lexus IS300,or Infiniti G35

steve c 11-14-2004 10:49 PM

As far as the sport part knocking out anything front wheel drive then obviously somebody has not driven the Acura TSX or Acura RSX
Type S .
I've owned and tracked an Integra Type R. Sport and front wheel drive do not go together. The Type R is *almost* the exception to that rule.

Consumer Reports rates the Audi S4 as worse than average reliability so being used to Honda reliability I would say that would be more expensive to maintain .
Again, either car will still be under warranty. My "being used to Honda reliability" means multiple trips to the dealer to fix issues that Honda ignored for multiple years and having to deal with shitty service on top of that.

A coworker had a BMW 3 series and liked it a lot but he said dealer service was definitely outrageously expensive. He traded the car for that reason.
Ever notice how everyone has an aunt/uncle/friend/coworker that has experienced issues with non Japanese cars. Yet those of us who have owned a good number of them never have. Why do you think that is? I think it's because people without any experience like to make shit up to further their opinion.

Officer_down 11-14-2004 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by steve c,Nov 14 2004, 11:49 PM
Ever notice how everyone has an aunt/uncle/friend/coworker that has experienced issues with non Japanese cars. Yet those of us who have owned a good number of them never have.

So owners of non-Japanese cars NEVER have any problems? ;) Uh, strike that! You were talking about something else. :LOL: