Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I am sickly in love with this car.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am sickly in love with this car.

Now this is a car. If I had just a sick, ridiculous amount of money I would drop the coin for this beast in a second. Yes, I know in Ferrari terms it is one of the softer cars of the times, but damn is that a gorgeous body. I think few cars have ever been produced that hold a candle design wise to this work of art:

"1965 Ferrari 275 GTB Alloy
Serial Number: 7927
Exterior Color: Rosso Corsa
Interior Color: Black
Mileage: 42,498 KMS
Engine: 3.0L V12 no. 6003 (Internal no. 840/64)
Transmission: 5-Speed Transaxle
Stock: FJ853

1966 Ferrari 275 GTB Alloy Bodied Long Nose
s/n 7927, Engine no. 6003
Rosso Corsa over Black Leather Interior with Cloth Inserts

Along with the 4-cam variant, the long nose alloy-bodied version of 275GTB is among the
most desirable of the road-going classic Ferraris. Impossibly beautiful, rare, and mechanically
sophisticated, it embodies everything that makes classic Ferraris sought-after and unique. The
first 275’s appeared in 1964, employing an enlarged 3.3 litre version of Ferrari’s venerable
Colombo-designed V12. The car featured many innovative features not found in the earlier 250,
including a rear mounted transaxle for improved weight distribution, independent rear suspension,
and 5-speed transmission. The cars were continuously developed, as was Ferrari’s convention,
including the development of the long nose variant, which incorporated a host of mechanical
improvements, including torque tube to improve the stability and durability of the driveline.

This particular car is very unique. Built in October of 1965, it is one of the approximately
10% of 275’s that features an alloy body. Additionally, the car is one of two 275 GTB’s that
was retained by the Ferrari factory’s Experimental Department, as confirmed by the Ferrari Factory
Archives. The other experimental car is chassis number 6003, and both were sold by the works in May
of 1966. During the period that the two cars were retained by the factory, the engines were likely
removed several times in the course of Ferrari’s testing efforts. The engine in 7927 bears the
correct numero interno for engine number 7927 (810/64), indicating that the engine is the original
engine, although it is currently stamped with 6003, likely a remnant from the engines having been
swapped between the cars at the factory. Indeed, close inspection reveals evidence of the block
having been restamped, and in the car’s various Ferrari Club of America showings, it has not been
penalized. Other unique equipment includes electric windows and cloth seat inserts.

After being sold by the factory, the car found an owner in Italy, and was exported to the United States
in 1970. It was owned by a Randall Thomas of Florida during the 1970’s, and he showed the car at the
Ferrari Club of America Concours in 1975. He sold the car in December of 1977, to its next owner, who
kept the car for 15 years. The car subsequently found its way to a collection in Switzerland, and in
1999, it was sent to Modena where the engine was rebuilt. The body was also restored, by Bacchelli
and Villa at Autosport.

The current owner purchased the car in 2005, and has performed much maintenance and cosmetic work, and
shown the car several times including two Ferrari Club of America Platinum Awards, at Concorso Italiano
in 2007, and at Chateau Julien in 2009. The car placed second in class in the Carmel Concours on the
Avenue in 2008, and 2nd in Class at the Avila Beach Concours d’Elegance (where it is worth noting that
first in class was also Best in Show). Shortly before he acquired the car, the previous owner spent
about $7000 at DK Engineering to install bigger brake wheel cylinders, new lightweight clutch, and
general setting up. When the engine was apart, it was noted that the engine had high performance cams,
heads, and valves. The car comes with invoices for the full engine rebuild and paintwork, as well as
the work performed under the current owner’s care.

Much of this work has been the detail work associated with bringing the car to the level necessary to
excel at shows. This included detailing the body cavities, refinishing the wheels, and restoring the
fuel tanks, ceramic coating the exhaust system. New XWX tires were also supplied, and some paintwork
was also performed. The seats were reupholstered, and details such as the fitment of Cheney and Coniglia
clamps as appropriate were also performed. The correct decals were also sourced as were the terminal
boots for the ignition coil and cover for the alternator, along with several other items. The trunk
and hood weatherstripping were replaced, the clock and spare tire were restored, and most fittings
restored as well. The interior was completed restored (including carpets, seats, console, dash, rear
shelf, and black trim), including new wood dash, and the bumpers were rechromed as well. The list is
endless, extending as far as rewiring the cigarette lighter illumination ring. Even the chrome footwell
vents were rechomed. Much mechanical work was also performed, including changing the coolant, replacing
the hoses, changing the brake fluid, bleeding the brakes and clutch, restoring the throttle linkage,
restoring the radiator, replacing all fuel lines (including those at the tanks), overhauling the water
pump, and replacing the clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder. This work, completed between 2006 and
2008, was performed by Randy Reid’s Antique Auto Restorations and Forza Motors, both in the Monterey
region. The total was $71,615.03.

The car is in excellent condition overall, with an extremely strong presentation, as would be expected of
a car with such an impressive record on the show circuit. The paintwork is extremely nice overall with
just a few prep issues. The wheels are absolutely stunning, and the tires are the correct non-70 aspect
ratio XWXs. The chrome is excellent, as are the lamps, including the Cibié headlamps. The car has Scaglietti
headlight covers, and the glass is excellent overall, with light road markings and light wiper marks.

The interior is in outstanding condition and is extremely fresh. In all respects, the interior is stunning.
The seats are superb, as are the door panels, center console, dashboard, instruments, switches, parcel
shelf, carpets, and headliner. The wood is excellent on both the dashboard and the steering wheel, and has
been restored to the correct luster.

The engine compartment and trunk are both extremely clean, detailed, and highly correct, as required for
show cars. The fittings and finishes are correct throughout, right down to the Pirelli heater hoses, which
retain the correct decals. The battery bears the Magnetti Marelli brand, and the trunk is upholstered in
the correct carpeting. The car comes with both its large tool roll with tools, and manual pack with books.

This is an unrepeatable opportunity to acquire an alloy-bodied 275 that is outstanding in terms of provenance
and condition. Its unique history is well-known, and its superlative condition is substantiated by its
success before the discerning judges of the Ferrari Club of America. Additionally, its unique specification
makes it stand out, even among a crowd of already distinguished cars, particularly the extra power, which
is noticeable. "

Click here for lots and lots more info on the Ferrari 275 GTB
Old 04-16-2010, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice car with a classic design and a nice history
Old 04-16-2010, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is sweet but my unicorn is still the 1962 250 GTO. Mechanical sex.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:20 PM

Saw one of these when I was a kid at a Ferrari dealer in Dallas. Took a lot of (pre digital) pictures and was in love. Looking at it now, its really not all that attractive, but it is a vintage Ferrari so its got to be a special drive.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:33 PM

That really is a gorgeous car. I wish the 599 looked as clean and good as that.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=rnye,Apr 16 2010, 06:20 PM] Saw one of these when I was a kid at a Ferrari dealer in Dallas.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by kenstyle,Apr 16 2010, 09:49 PM
dont know what you're smoking bro, it looks just like a 240z from the front and carries a similar roofline

that car is hot.

but personally, and F40 aside (because it's the greatest Ferrari ever built in history), the 288GTO takes the cake
Its not hideous, I jsut think there are better looking vintage Ferraris. The GTB looks bloated. I prefer the California, 250GT Lusso and 365.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If we're talking Italian vintage...

Old 04-17-2010, 01:29 AM

You ain't even go to class Beuler... - Kanye

Beautiful car I must say...
Old 04-17-2010, 02:08 AM

IMHO, one of the most beautiful and desirable Ferrari's ever made, even if it isn't the highest performing model:

246 Dino

Quick Reply: I am sickly in love with this car.