Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I cheated on my GT4!!!!!1

Old 01-13-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

How does the '17 Carerra S compare to the 2015(ish) 991 Turbo S? Any seat time in the Turbo S? I know they're fast as hell, but there's just something about the subdued styling of the "regular" 911s that is so understated and timeless, whereas the Turbo S looks cool but in a jazzed up kind of way. Also, I can't help but imagine that the RWD of the Carerra S makes for more fun than the heavier AWD of the Turbo S.

Anyhow, just curious if you have experience with both.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:34 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
How does the '17 Carerra S compare to the 2015(ish) 991 Turbo S? Any seat time in the Turbo S? I know they're fast as hell, but there's just something about the subdued styling of the "regular" 911s that is so understated and timeless, whereas the Turbo S looks cool but in a jazzed up kind of way. Also, I can't help but imagine that the RWD of the Carerra S makes for more fun than the heavier AWD of the Turbo S.

Anyhow, just curious if you have experience with both.
I haven't driven a Turbo S, but everything I've read and seen and what from I can extrapolate from the '17 Carrera S drive, the Carrera S will be more 'engaging' to drive. The sound of the 3.0L TT flat six with sport exhaust has a better sound than a stock Turbo exhaust. The rear wheel steering and rwd and reduced weight over a Turbo S will also contribute to a better overall drive in the Carrera S. Finally, as many here have said, sometimes it's better to drive a slow car fast. Obviously we are talking about a fast car and then a stupid fast car in the Turbo S. Straight-line is brutal in the Turbo S, but what that means in reality is you're just at "go to jail" speeds that much faster. I didn't feel a lack of power at all driving the Carrera S around town. May feel a little soft on the track power-wise, but everywhere else I think I'd be very happy with a Carrera S or the new GTS.

For some really weird reason, I don't even really have much of a desire to drive a Turbo S. Ironically, the local dealer has a black with black/red Turbo S in stock that is set-up almost identically to the black with black/red Carrera S I drove. Sticker is $70k more and I just don't see it IMHO. I haven't even asked to drive it..
Old 01-14-2017, 11:21 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Your getting soft.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:31 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Your getting soft.
My getting is very hard, I'll have you know.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:05 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by ealand0001
Ooo is that right.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

two dudes talking about getting hard. Gonna leave thread for a couple days before returning.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ealand0001
I have my getting set to variable hardness.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I haven't driven a Turbo S, but everything I've read and seen and what from I can extrapolate from the '17 Carrera S drive, the Carrera S will be more 'engaging' to drive. The sound of the 3.0L TT flat six with sport exhaust has a better sound than a stock Turbo exhaust. The rear wheel steering and rwd and reduced weight over a Turbo S will also contribute to a better overall drive in the Carrera S. Finally, as many here have said, sometimes it's better to drive a slow car fast. Obviously we are talking about a fast car and then a stupid fast car in the Turbo S. Straight-line is brutal in the Turbo S, but what that means in reality is you're just at "go to jail" speeds that much faster. I didn't feel a lack of power at all driving the Carrera S around town. May feel a little soft on the track power-wise, but everywhere else I think I'd be very happy with a Carrera S or the new GTS.

For some really weird reason, I don't even really have much of a desire to drive a Turbo S. Ironically, the local dealer has a black with black/red Turbo S in stock that is set-up almost identically to the black with black/red Carrera S I drove. Sticker is $70k more and I just don't see it IMHO. I haven't even asked to drive it..
Thanks for the reply. Counterpoint: couldn't the Turbo S be enough car that it replaces your ZR-1 and the Cayman?
Old 01-15-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I had the opportunity to drive a 991.2 C2S in Miami Blue a few weeks ago when I brought my GT4 in for service.

While i do agree the car was way more refined as a daily driver I just could not get over the MSRP on the car... $130k. The car had exceptional power but I found the overall driving experience to be pretty lackluster. It may just be me but I really couldn't justify dropping that kind of coin for a new C2S....

I drove a 2014 GT3 they had in the lot and I came away extremely impressed with the experience. $141k for that particuar car which gave me way more satisfaction than the new 911 C2S. The car was way more engaging and felt much more a sports car then the C2S. Im going to sit back and wait until the 991.2 GT3 is released and will be watching the market very closely on the 2015+ 991.1 GT3's. While the GT3 was a great car I got back into my own GT4 and was still very happy with it. I believe the GT4 is a car I seriously plan on keeping simply because the driving experience is much more rewarding... for me atleast.

I booked some driving time over at the new Porsche Experience Center and will relay back my thoughts on a few cars I am planning on driving there.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Thanks for the reply. Counterpoint: couldn't the Turbo S be enough car that it replaces your ZR-1 and the Cayman?
Yes, but I think I'd rather have the ZR1 and GT4 instead of a 991.2 Turbo S. The Turbo S probably is car to have if you can just own one as it can do basically everything except tow, haul large loads, or go off-road. My fiance thinks I should get the Turbo S because it has a wing on the back and looks more aggressive than the classy, yet fairly pedestrian Carrera S. Not sure I totally agree with her as I like the looks of the Carrera. That said, the GT4 does look more purposeful and striking.

Originally Posted by blueprint
I had the opportunity to drive a 991.2 C2S in Miami Blue a few weeks ago when I brought my GT4 in for service.

While i do agree the car was way more refined as a daily driver I just could not get over the MSRP on the car... $130k. The car had exceptional power but I found the overall driving experience to be pretty lackluster. It may just be me but I really couldn't justify dropping that kind of coin for a new C2S....

I drove a 2014 GT3 they had in the lot and I came away extremely impressed with the experience. $141k for that particuar car which gave me way more satisfaction than the new 911 C2S. The car was way more engaging and felt much more a sports car then the C2S. Im going to sit back and wait until the 991.2 GT3 is released and will be watching the market very closely on the 2015+ 991.1 GT3's. While the GT3 was a great car I got back into my own GT4 and was still very happy with it. I believe the GT4 is a car I seriously plan on keeping simply because the driving experience is much more rewarding... for me atleast.

I booked some driving time over at the new Porsche Experience Center and will relay back my thoughts on a few cars I am planning on driving there.
I can't disagree with anything you said above, but I enjoyed the driving experience even if it was more sedate than the GT4. It just felt about perfect for me with the smoother and quieter ride quality and great low/mid-range thrust of the twin turbo 3.0L flat six.

All that said, I am thinking more along your lines and I'm likely going to hold out for a 991.2 GT3. I wouldn't mind a 991.1 GT3 either, but I'd want a '16 model and those are pretty rare. I am on the list at the dealer and I'd suffer much less depreciation on the GT3 than a Turbo S or Carrera S. In the meantime, I still love driving the GT4.

Let me know how you like your PEC experience! I need to get out there and do that too.

Quick Reply: I cheated on my GT4!!!!!1