S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   I don't get why anyone would pay 40k for a CR over this? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/i-dont-get-why-anyone-would-pay-40k-cr-over-1180828/)

9ktouge 01-09-2018 02:02 PM

I don't get why anyone would pay 40k for a CR over this?

I mean it's a limited production, but honestly this babe beats the S across the board, and when you mention special and limited. Well I find the Ferrari engine is a lot more exclusive and unique :)

P.S just my personal opinion.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=195492765

radiantm3 01-09-2018 02:11 PM

Because it weighs over 4000lbs. The 2 cars have nothing in common and if anyone is cross shopping them both, they have no clue what they want in a car. :)

berlinablackie 01-09-2018 02:14 PM

Cost of ownership over 5 or more years....
$40k CR is cheap by comparison.
Could probably buy two CRs and come out with cash in pocket

white98ls 01-09-2018 02:28 PM

1. Not that great to drive really, on a twisty road or a track since it's more of a GT than a true sports car
2. Reliability
3. Running costs/maintenance is probably 5x
4. Flappy-paddle gearbox (I believe single-clutch at that... maybe it's a normal auto actually come to think of it... anyway, both not so good)
5. A CR will likely hold value or continue to appreciate. The Maser has virtually no chance of that
6. They won't be making an 8k redline, N/A, 6MT roadster weighing 2,800lbs possibly ever again. Whereas there are already many superior alternatives to this Maser (newer Jag F-Type is a good example).

Seems like a great deal and definitely a nice car, but completely different car from any S2000.

9ktouge 01-09-2018 02:29 PM

I think the weight is offset by the 400 HP engine and the maintenance while expensive but it's not crazy enough to buy 2 CR over the period of five years(more like 1k-2k per year depends on if you daily it). Only thing is, this car will depreciate like a B, it's a really fun car and gets a lot more attention than the S.

JonBoy 01-09-2018 02:34 PM

Maserati build quality is pretty horrible. Reliability is suspect. There's a reason that car is at such a low price compared to other comparable "exotics".

white98ls 01-09-2018 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by 9ktouge (Post 24405276)
I think the weight is offset by the 400 HP engine

It's 405hp and 4,200lbs(!!) - I just looked it up. So sure, the engine equates to a little over 10lbs/hp which isn't bad.

But 4,200lbs is 4,200lbs in the corners. Let's put it this way - my M3 sedan is considered heavy at 3,600lbs, which is 800lbs heavier than an S2000. You can certainly feel some of that weight, as well-engineered as the chassis is. This Maser is *another 600lbs* heavier than my M3. Yikes.

It's not crazy enough to buy 2 CR over the period of five years(more like 1k-2k per year depends on if you daily it).

You mentioned "Ferrari engine." That engine is indeed based on the F430 engine, which is reliable as Ferraris go but still far from S2000-reliable and affordable. Even if it was every bit as reliable, you still have twice as many cylinders, not to mention wide 20" tires, big brakes, etc. Parts are going to be $$, compared to an S2k which costs barely more than a Civic to keep on the road.

Of course it's natural for a more expensive, more exotic car to cost more to drive around and own. That doesn't mean it's an inferior car, but it's something to keep in mind when considering the price (that's why V12 Merc S-classes depreciate like a rock) and why someone might buy one. Me, I rather liked that I could thrash my S2k on the track and then buy $50 front rotors off Amazon and dinky 16" or 17" tires.

It's a really fun car and gets a lot more attention than the S.

Have you driven one? Just curious (I haven't, just read/watched reviews).

You assume that everyone wants attention. In my 20s I may have wanted that, but now that I'm a few years older I really don't care, and some people specifically do *not* want attention.

9ktouge 01-09-2018 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by white98ls (Post 24405304)
It's 405hp and 4,200lbs(!!) - I just looked it up. So sure, the engine equates to a little over 10lbs/hp which isn't bad.

But 4,200lbs is 4,200lbs in the corners. Let's put it this way - my M3 sedan is considered heavy at 3,600lbs, which is 800lbs heavier than an S2000. You can certainly feel some of that weight, as well-engineered as the chassis is. This Maser is *another 600lbs* heavier than my M3. Yikes.

You mentioned "Ferrari engine." That engine is indeed based on the F430 engine, which is reliable as Ferraris go but still far from S2000-reliable and affordable. Even if it was every bit as reliable, you still have twice as many cylinders, not to mention wide 20" tires, big brakes, etc. Parts are going to be $$, compared to an S2k which costs barely more than a Civic to keep on the road.

Of course it's natural for a more expensive, more exotic car to cost more to drive around and own. That doesn't mean it's an inferior car, but it's something to keep in mind when considering the price (that's why V12 Merc S-classes depreciate like a rock) and why someone might buy one. Me, I rather liked that I could thrash my S2k on the track and then buy $50 front rotors off Amazon and dinky 16" or 17" tires.

Have you driven one? Just curious (I haven't, just read/watched reviews).

You assume that everyone wants attention. In my 20s I may have wanted that, but now that I'm a few years older I really don't care, and some people specifically do *not* want attention.

Had lunch with my colleague and drove it around town a little bit.I was shocked when he told me the market price of the car since this thing costed over 160k new and the engine sounded really nice(he has exhaust/intake and a tune).

Manga_Spawn 01-09-2018 04:47 PM

As others said totally different cars. CR is low production with fewer examples in unmodded (or unwrecked) condition. The CR is appreciating while the Maserati is still on the decline. A car that cost about $40k new that has barely lost any value is a much better place to put your money than a car that has lost over $17k in value a year and is still depreciating.

manystyles 01-09-2018 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
As others said totally different cars. CR is low production with fewer examples in unmodded (or unwrecked) condition. The CR is appreciating while the Maserati is still on the decline. A car that cost about $40k new that has barely lost any value is a much better place to put your money than a car that has lost over $17k in value a year and is still depreciating.

This.