Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I drove a BRZ and hated it

Old 05-07-2015, 04:48 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

One reason would be the FRS's cargo capacity dwarfs that of the S2000 and Miata. And the rear seat is also good for dogs.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I felt the exact same way about the FR-S/BRZ when I drove it. I agree though that the seating position was very Porsche-like
Old 05-07-2015, 05:27 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

And remember all the fan boys when it launched? Sales have tanked.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:33 AM

Last I saw sales were fine in the US. (not so much Europe, but that's an economic issue)
Old 05-07-2015, 07:00 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k

Last I saw sales were fine in the US. (not so much Europe, but that's an economic issue)
If memory serves me they have more than halved.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:21 AM

FRS sales were down 23% in 2014 (compared to 2013).

BRZ sales are more or less steady. 8087 sold in 2013, 7504 in 2014.

Not bad for a car that hasn't been updated since it's introduction almost 3 years ago.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/why-sci...niche-product/
Old 05-07-2015, 07:28 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Largely speaking I am also from the camp that's disappointed with the twins, specifically because of the engine. If it had a reliable, rock solid 4 banger with an ounce of character my sentiment would be totally different. 200hp never felt so slow and it's largely due to the infamous torque dip. Where a k20a would rev and rev and build power, the ej20 falls flat on its face in probably the most important part of the band. But all would be forgiven if it were motor that was rock solid reliable under track duty, I mean cmon, 200hp 4 cyl isn't exactly ground breaking, but it isn't. The good news is that the issues can be remedied through the aftermarket (reliability and power), but will void the warranty.
I also wave the flag that says hey, this car isn't 30k+, it's about the price of an Si and I'd rather have a twin than the current Si, and most of the fwd competition (also a fiesta for under 19k after negotiating...), so with that in mind it's still a good purchase in that sense, but I would not own one in warranty and with a car note. This would make a great used car pick up cheap later on.
I love the driving position and all that, but it's not... mustang comfortable because of its tighter dimensions, which means it should shine under aggressive driving and track conditions which it does... but then here we go back talking about the engine.
The engine is just such a letdown because the conversation seems to gravitate back to it.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Largely speaking I am also from the camp that's disappointed with the twins, specifically because of the engine. If it had a reliable, rock solid 4 banger with an ounce of character my sentiment would be totally different. 200hp never felt so slow and it's largely due to the infamous torque dip. Where a k20a would rev and rev and build power, the ej20 falls flat on its face in probably the most important part of the band. But all would be forgiven if it were motor that was rock solid reliable under track duty, I mean cmon, 200hp 4 cyl isn't exactly ground breaking, but it isn't. The good news is that the issues can be remedied through the aftermarket (reliability and power), but will void the warranty.
I also wave the flag that says hey, this car isn't 30k+, it's about the price of an Si and I'd rather have a twin than the current Si, and most of the fwd competition (also a fiesta for under 19k after negotiating...), so with that in mind it's still a good purchase in that sense, but I would not own one in warranty and with a car note. This would make a great used car pick up cheap later on.
I love the driving position and all that, but it's not... mustang comfortable because of its tighter dimensions, which means it should shine under aggressive driving and track conditions which it does... but then here we go back talking about the engine.
The engine is just such a letdown because the conversation seems to gravitate back to it.
FA20, not EJ20.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive a C6 and swapped it with a buddy's BRZ for a few days. My impressions were almost exactly the same as Mr.E.G.'s it's kind of freaky. Would get s2k all day errday twice on sunday.

If only Subaru comes out with a turbocharged BRZ equipped with the good old boxer rumble...in that case pls take my monies
Old 05-07-2015, 10:41 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximumAttack
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect' timestamp='1431012526' post='23604802
FA20, not EJ20.

Excuse me.

Quick Reply: I drove a BRZ and hated it