Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I got a new Alfa!

Old 08-22-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
Headed to Monterey Car Week on Fri. and signed up for a Giulia test drive. In past years they had Quattroformaggios so hoping I'm able to hop in one. It's the only sedan that truly tempts me from my E90 M3.
Quattroformaggios = Four cheese (actually quattro formaggi)
Quadrifoglio = Four leaf clover
Old 08-22-2018, 02:31 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitt
Quattroformaggios = Four cheese (actually quattro formaggi)
Quadrifoglio = Four leaf clover
Yep I know... just poking fun
Old 08-22-2018, 05:12 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Headed to Monterey Car Week on Fri. and signed up for a Giulia test drive. In past years they had Quattroformaggios so hoping I'm able to hop in one. It's the only sedan that truly tempts me from my E90 M3.
Please share your thoughts. I'm curious and also beyond jealous of your attendance at Monterey. One of these days I'll go out for the week. Enjoy!
Old 08-23-2018, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by The NSX Kid

Please share your thoughts. I'm curious and also beyond jealous of your attendance at Monterey. One of these days I'll go out for the week. Enjoy!
Will do. I live close enough to not have to stay overnight if I don't want to. Have only been once before (moved here in 2014) and eager to do it again!
Old 08-23-2018, 04:08 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Will do. I live close enough to not have to stay overnight if I don't want to. Have only been once before (moved here in 2014) and eager to do it again!
And I think this year Japanese cars get some love! Nissan becomes the first Japanese car maker @ Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion to be honored as the featured marque, and the company plans to make a big splash with its display. Should be sick! Northeast never gets any fun car stuff.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by The NSX Kid
Alright, drove the Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio (as well as some other cars, more on that later). As an N/A and MT die-hard, nothing with 4 doors has really enticed me to someday replace my E90 M3, as pretty much everything now is bigger, heavier, turbo, and no MT. I drove an M4 and it didn't do much for me, for a variety of reasons.

The Giulia moved the game on in just about every way from my M3. Sure it's turbo, but there is no real lag and it sounds great and goes like crazy (runs high 11s). The trans is auto but it bangs off shifts quickly and has big, metal paddles that feel good to use. It's 100-200lbs heavier than the E90, but it feels 100-200lbs lighter. It rides great even in the most aggressive setting. The seats are outstanding and those weren't even the optional carbon seats. I built one online and it was $75k w/options (there are very few compared to BMW, Merc, etc.), which is downright reasonable for what you get. C/F hood (can see the weave on the rear edge of the hood from the driver's seat) and other panels, and pretty much everything you really want are all standard.

In short, I was highly impressed and I now have a landing spot when my E90 just gets too old to make sense as a daily - although that will be many years from now. The Stelvio Quad also drove quite similarly - it adds 500lbs but still feels 90% as good as the Giulia, and is actually faster to 60 and even thru the 1/4 mile due to AWD. I drove a current X5 M last summer and while it was a hooligan and fun in its own way, it felt far heavier and more truckish than the Giulia (it's a larger size class in fairness). I would be perfectly fine with the Stelvio as a daily, which is something I didn't think I'd say about an SUV.

Alfa also fed us great food and wine, and had some ridiculously hot models lingering about. It was hard to leave. Likely worth the investment for them as a newish brand to the US with class-leading vehicles.

We also went to Maserati's event, which was nice but the cars were a mixed bag. Tried the convertible first (I don't even know what they're calling it now). F430-derived 4.7L V8 sounded outstanding and had pretty good top-end pull, but surprisingly lacked torque. The rest of the car was incredibly disappointing, even though I wasn't expecting much. Weird driving position (my head almost touched the windshield header, and I'm a normal-sized male), awful steering and brake feel, just didn't feel sporty or communicative in any way except for that engine. In day to day driving, other than that engine and having the top down, I'd literally rather drive my dad's '13 Accord Sport 4-cylinder, which has much more direct and communicative steering and brakes, and feels far lighter on its feet.

Last was the Levante GTS, which is the 550hp version of their SUV. This thing had very impressive power (close to the Alfa) and the interior was quite nice with quilted leather everywhere. Handled surprisingly well too, with as much as we could corner in it. Overall, it wasn't as dynamically satisfying as the Alfa, but would make sense for someone who didn't need the ultimate performance SUV, but wants something that's still quite fast and competent, with a more upscale interior and a little more space. Unfortunately, the GTS starts over $120k which is about 50% more than the Alfa.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

^^ ^^
Good to hear the Q and Stelvio Q are as good as I was saying for a while they are.

On my buddy's GranSport, my head was inches from the top of the windshield as well. Maserati is in a weird place in the FCA line up. It's obvious where are Ferrari and Alfa sit. Maserati is kind of a Jaguar inspiration that cost a few buck more.