Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I might actually consider a new Mustang

Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I like it. I suspect a production version would look quite a bit different though - especially the ride height and fender gap.
(FWIW, it reminds me of an Audi S5 in overall shape.)
Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTianti
Well I have a Boss 302 so I can vouch for the fantastic nature of the V8.

I thought about waiting for a 2015, given that it will have an IRS and will probably be a bit lighter. However I knew I wouldn't want the 1st year of new car so that would mean I'd be waiting until 2015-2016 and the Boss is pretty great. And there's no telling what a 2015 Mustang GT will cost, but is safe to say it won't get cheaper.

I'll probably be pulling the trigger right around the 2015 model year. Trying to move out of this job and into something different but if I am still here, the Mustang looks more attractive. Lots of people below me who really get screwed on salary and if I am here I don't want to rub it in and be too flashy as I kind of get special treatment. I know that does not matter to some people but it matters to me.

If I go somewhere else where I am less concerned about the appearance it has to compete with the Cayman or possibly a 3 series so if a GT is a little more than it is now, thats fine. I don't think I care about anything faster than a GT unless the Boss comes with something really cool besides the engine to make it more attractive. Never looked at Mustangs before so I don't know much about them.

And lighter would be fantastic.

I kind of wonder how this looks to Mustang traditionalists. I think it looks great and would attract new buyers, but the traditional buyers might be turned off by the non muscle car look.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by North Star
The rendering actually looks like an updated version of the fourth gen Mustang, instead of further shaping the throwback design of the fifth gen.

I have nothing to respond to what you are saying but only to give you a nomination for avatar pic of the year award.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Originally Posted by North Star' timestamp='1351012663' post='22102990
The rendering actually looks like an updated version of the fourth gen Mustang, instead of further shaping the throwback design of the fifth gen.

I have nothing to respond to what you are saying but only to give you a nomination for avatar pic of the year award.

Well here, this will better illustrate my post. haha

This is the body style I believe they are updating. If not for the trend of bringing back updated versions of the original body style that the US automakers followed, this may have been the next gen anyway.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
Looks like an Accord.
Or a Nissan Altima coupe with a different nose grafted on.

ANYTHING other than pure-retro on a car named "Mustang" is sure to disappoint some folks. Now they are, ahem, corralled by their own success at Ford.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1351015464' post='22103129
[quote name='North Star' timestamp='1351012663' post='22102990']

Well here, this will better illustrate my post. haha

This is the body style I believe they are updating. If not for the trend of bringing back updated versions of the original body style that the US automakers followed, this may have been the next gen anyway.

[/quote]

I guess I don't see the resemblance. It looks far mor to me like the new Scion/Subaru twin. That Toyobaru is to me, by far the best looking mass market car to come out in years. I LOVE the look, it is just too underpowered and downmarket for what I want. Although I expect the Stang would have much larger proportions. The ft86's small presence is part of the cool factor for me. And if the nose is a rip off of an Aston Martin, rip away. You could not steal design cues from a better looking car.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The nose and headlights actually looks close to the new Ford Fusion. That must be the design signature for their upcoming line.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

And tell me that nose didn't come right off an Aston martin.

Originally Posted by Reckon
Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn' timestamp='1351011012' post='22102904
Hmmm they just continue to raid the Aston parts bin don't they? Looks good but not sure it looks like a mustang. What would be cool is if they made this the size of the BRZ but put the mustang v6 in it. 300hp small rwd sports car with real power would be amazing.
I thought the same thing...looks alot like an Aston Martin. But Aston Martin was sold by Ford a few years back so who knows how much of the parts bin they still have left.
Yeah and same with range rover but it seemed like they sold those companies and then they found some parts laying around. The newer explorer had a lot of range rover styling one it and the new fusion definitely looks very Aston Martin. Its not a bad thing either as there is much uglier cars they could take their styling from. Like I said make this small and fairly light and it could be a great car.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The nose and headlights actually looks close to the new Ford Fusion. That must be the design signature for their upcoming line.

This was going to be my suggestion as well.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BRZ+new Fusion

Quick Reply: I might actually consider a new Mustang