Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I need advice from older and wiser minds

Old 01-14-2012, 03:10 PM
pdj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need advice from older and wiser minds

Hello gentlemen, as the title states I need some guidance. I'll try to keep this as short and simple as possible.

I'm 20 years old and since I just got back from a semester of studying abroad in europe, I had no intentions of buying a car...that was, until I actually got back to suburbia and had no car to get around with. One day before Christmas I was driving with my brother and he mentioned his friend was selling a fully built 2003 Civic Si (ep3). Since I used to own a 2009 Civic si and I always loved the ep3, I automatically fell in love with the idea of owning the car. I was in a trance and I HAD to have it! A test drive and a couple weeks later, it's sitting outside my house and I simply don't know if I even want it anymore.

A little about the car: 2003, 49k miles on the odo (9k on the built motor), and wayyyy too much money dumped into it. The car was built to be have a big turbo slapped on to it: stage 1 cams, LSD, stage 5 clutch, throttle body, valves, pistons, port polish, exhaust, headers, ect. ect.....

The Bad:
The car is my DD, and although it isn't extremely loud (I had the exhaust taken off and replaced with a near-stock setup) since it has very stiff motor mounts/headers EVERYTHING rattles. I took a girl out the other day and it was a bit embarrassing. I can afford to pay for the car and insurance with money that I had saved up, but if anything really big went bad I could end up being pretty broke. Other things that annoy me: having to warm the engine up for ~5 min if it's cold (different metals in engine expand at a different rate, I could mess something up if I don't warm the car up) and the fact that I feel like a ricer driving the car, and my parents keep bitching at me for buying this kind of car.

The Good:
I bought the car for less than KBB "Fair" price, since it was bought from a friend and he already had another car lined up. I have all of the receipts to what has been done to the car, they total up to about $8k not including some exterior bits and coilovers. The car has an amazing amount of potential, it could easily have 500+hp and be a 10 second car. The car was built at a very reputable shop.

So this is where you guys come in. Do I follow my enthusiast side and patiently wait until I have the funds to turbo the car? Have any of you owned built cars, have they been reliable?

Any advice is really appreciated.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pdj
Hello gentlemen, as the title states I need some guidance. I'll try to keep this as short and simple as possible.

I'm 20 years old and since I just got back from a semester of studying abroad in europe, I had no intentions of buying a car...that was, until I actually got back to suburbia and had no car to get around with. One day before Christmas I was driving with my brother and he mentioned his friend was selling a fully built 2003 Civic Si (ep3). Since I used to own a 2009 Civic si and I always loved the ep3, I automatically fell in love with the idea of owning the car. I was in a trance and I HAD to have it! A test drive and a couple weeks later, it's sitting outside my house and I simply don't know if I even want it anymore.

A little about the car: 2003, 49k miles on the odo (9k on the built motor), and wayyyy too much money dumped into it. The car was built to be have a big turbo slapped on to it: stage 1 cams, LSD, stage 5 clutch, throttle body, valves, pistons, port polish, exhaust, headers, ect. ect.....

The Bad:
The car is my DD, and although it isn't extremely loud (I had the exhaust taken off and replaced with a near-stock setup) since it has very stiff motor mounts/headers EVERYTHING rattles. I took a girl out the other day and it was a bit embarrassing. I can afford to pay for the car and insurance with money that I had saved up, but if anything really big went bad I could end up being pretty broke. Other things that annoy me: having to warm the engine up for ~5 min if it's cold (different metals in engine expand at a different rate, I could mess something up if I don't warm the car up) and the fact that I feel like a ricer driving the car, and my parents keep bitching at me for buying this kind of car.

The Good:
I bought the car for less than KBB "Fair" price, since it was bought from a friend and he already had another car lined up. I have all of the receipts to what has been done to the car, they total up to about $8k not including some exterior bits and coilovers. The car has an amazing amount of potential, it could easily have 500+hp and be a 10 second car. The car was built at a very reputable shop.

So this is where you guys come in. Do I follow my enthusiast side and patiently wait until I have the funds to turbo the car? Have any of you owned built cars, have they been reliable?

Any advice is really appreciated.
Honestly, living with this thing sounds terrible. I hear a lot of "could-bes" and if i did this it would be awesome, etc. Also, the fact that it could take a dump at any point and you would be in trouble affording to fix it means to me it's a problem. Also, a 500HP FWD car is just terrible unless you are drag racing in some kind of FWD class professionally.

I would ditch it as soon as possible. I would use the money you paid for it to finance a nice reliable car if you can or buy a used fun car that is mostly stock. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sell it, asap.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Sell it, pick up a regular civic 5 speed DD.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

East, are you a retinal surgeon? Looks like it.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k
Sell it, pick up a regular civic 5 speed DD.
I agree 100%.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:16 PM

ep3 holds a special place in my heart, but if it sounds like this thing is more than you bargained for. Try to turn a profit!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

No question, sell it. When it becomes that much of a pit, it isnt fun anymore, its the reason why i sold my 240sx because car payments became less stressful than an ongoing project. Ironically in this discussion, the car i bought was a new 04 ep3, my idea of a fun car i wouldnt tinker with.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:01 PM
pdj

Wow, these answers have (obviously) been quite one-sided. I'm probably going to drive the thing until I find somebody to take it off my hands, if worst comes to worst I'll keep the car and turn it into a beast. No but honestly, this was by far the worst impulse buy of my entire life and a lesson that I shouldn't be learning.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

I want to know in what way is this car going to be better to live with by adding 350+ hp to it? If you think it is bad now...

Quick Reply: I need advice from older and wiser minds