Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I need backseats by December!

Old 07-15-2016, 08:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I need backseats by December!

Edit: We ordered a Golf R!

My wife and I are expecting our first child at the end of December which means the Corvette is not going to cut it for much longer

But as they say when a door closes, a window opens (is that something they say?)

What should I get, open to just about anything. We have driven a couple things so far:

Chevrolet SS 6MT
Golf R 6MT
Golf Sportwagen
Mazda CX-5
Mazda3

A couple other things on our list of stuff to drive:
Used Audi A7
Ford Transit Connect (what can I say, I am a sucker for utility!)
Mercedes E class Wagon (preferably an E63!)
Ford Flex Ecoboost (365hp 6 seater? Why not!)
Used Mazda5

My main concerns are, well having enough space for a rear facing car-seat (or two) and having enough room for all the babies accouterments. I am in the distinctly disadvantageous position of only having one car to do it all. As you can see I am all over the place price, style, and brand wise so it's a good thing I am getting a head start!

Keep in mind that most of our driving is out of town, trips to LA, so space, comfort, efficiency are all concerns. Maybe some of you don't know this but the Corvette is actually a great road trip car, it has a huge trunk and gets solid freeway gas mileage (for a 460hp sportscar anyway).

Also, I would like to keep some semblance of fun in my life, I know what you are thinking, Marioshi, a Ford Transit Connect is not fun! But maybe it can be, it's based on the focus, it's offered with the 1.6T from the Fiesta ST and it Short Wheel Base Form it only weighs 3600 lbs, which as we all know, is less than an Acura NSX! I guess my point is, don't be afraid to suggest cars that might not seem sporty on the surface, I am a weird guy and I find joy in the strangest concepts.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:27 AM

A couple of notes on what we have driven.

Golf R: YES, super fun to drive, very willing engine, great transmission, clutch is a little light coming from the Corvette but everything is coming from the Corvette. Changes direction very nicely, plenty fast even though it's down 58hp from the Focus RS. According to what I have read, car seats should fit fine. Hatchback utility is nice but it seems like a stroller would take up most of the available room. Also despite VW otherwise lackluster sales atm, Golf R are going for MSRP no if ands or buts. I SHOULD make the responsible choice and get something cheaper.

Golf Sportwagen: A golf with more trunk space, what more is there to say. Drives nice, plenty of torque, feels like a Golf R until you really mat the throttle and then you realize, nope, that is really all it's got. Tunable, available in Manual (2017 will be available as a AWD 6MT!), offered at steep discounts right now, especially for a '16. This remains high on my list although I would like to drive a manual (5MT...wtf?) which only comes in the lowest trim level.

Chevy SS: I thought a 4 door with a 6MT and a Corvette engine (LS3 not LT1) would do more for me. It's a nice car but it never blew my skirt up, def not worth the price of admission new, I could find a used one for high 30s probably but I didn't fall in love with it, maybe if it were a wagon.

Mazda CX-5: My wife and I had sat in these a while back and remember them being really nice, and they are, it's only when you start driving them that you realize you have lost your way. Even though C&D says these are one of the most fun small crossovers, the drive did very little for me. Acceleration with the AWD lagged off the line, felt adequate underway, but the whole thing leans hard around corners, bummer. Also only comes in 6MT in the most basic form.

Mazda3: WOW, 5 door Miata feel. The 2.5 is more than adequate in the 3000lb car and the 6MT is divine! I really enjoyed driving it, nice cockpit, very upscale for a small Mazda. Only downside is car seat fit is marginal from what I have read and hatch space is just okay, I think it's off the list unless someone with kids has personal experience as to why it will work
Old 07-15-2016, 08:38 AM

A couple notes about things I am interested in:

Audi A7/S7: What, where did this beauty come from, and what, it's a lift-back with 25 cubic feet of trunk space?! Sign me up, I can't wait to test drive one of these. Yes I know it's 400 lbs more than an Acura NSX but still, a 5 door 310-420hp coupe/sedan/wagon that looks this good inside and out HAS to be on the list. Limiting myself to CPO or cars available with a good warranty (think carmax). The S7 would be a beast, but I could probably live with the A7.

Ford Transit Connect: WTH Marioshi, why are you talking about cargo vans in here, you have a corvette, knock it off. Look, I don't want a Minivan, I really don't, but I really like the TC. It's so useful and I love the styling of it compared to other vans. I am gonna drive one, and they are discontinuing the 1.6T ecoboost for 2016 so I have done a national search to find them, I am obsessed! Plus, I feel like most people make a mistake when buying a car for kids, they buy a crossover SUV that sacrifices handling for space but actually isn't as spacious as a van. Also sliding doors are most useful when the kids are little!

Mercedes E-Class Wagon: E63 wagon, even used is probably out of budget but come on, it's a 500hp+ station wagon, it's on the list!

Flex Ecoboost: Again mostly the combination of utility and power, twin turbo 3.5 v6 could make this a nice freeway cruiser, but it remains to be seen.

Mazda5: The Mini-minivan, similar reason to the Transit Connect, but these can be found for way cheap and even came in manual.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:44 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

We got a 328i when we wanted something with four doors and a roomy back seat, and after 3.5 years and 50k miles we are still pleased with it.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Elistan
We got a 328i when we wanted something with four doors and a roomy back seat, and after 3.5 years and 50k miles we are still pleased with it.
Good to know, did you fit kids seats to it? I am surprised by the number of 4 door cars that don't fit rear facing car seats all that well...
Old 07-15-2016, 08:48 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi

Audi A7/S7: What, where did this beauty come from, and what, it's a lift-back with 25 cubic feet of trunk space?! Sign me up, I can't wait to test drive one of these. Yes I know it's 400 lbs more than an Acura NSX but still, a 5 door 310-420hp coupe/sedan/wagon that looks this good inside and out HAS to be on the list. Limiting myself to CPO or cars available with a good warranty (think carmax). The S7 would be a beast, but I could probably live with the A7.

My brother had an A7 and my dad has an RS7, the low roofline in the rear could make getting the baby in/out a challenge. The A7 is a great car and the motor/power is decent.

The RS7 is a beast, too much so IMHO, so if you can swing S7 do it

Edit: Congrats on the baby!!
Old 07-15-2016, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1468600733' post='24017298

My brother had an A7 and my dad has an RS7, the low roofline in the rear could make getting the baby in/out a challenge. The A7 is a great car and the motor/power is decent.

The RS7 is a beast, too much so IMHO, so if you can swing S7 do it

Edit: Congrats on the baby!!
Thanks! I did think of the low roofline thing. I guess I will just have to check it out in person. It sucks not currently having a carseat, do I buy a car to fit a carseat or a carseat to fit a car.

Also, replacing a Corvette is hard enough but I feel like I have to get the perfect car for a baby since we can't just make it work, like we would if we already had a car with 4 doors.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Congrats! Do yourself a favor and just enjoy the peace now, as it'll never be the same.

Did you say you can only have one car, so keeping the corvette and getting a more utilitarian vehicle isn't an option? I would certainly go this way if that was an option..

As others said, depending on the seat you buy, rear facing car seats can be quite large (the convertible rear facing generally). It really depends on the car seat and how bulky it is. The other question is how long you actually plan on keeping the kid rear facing (some nuts will say 4 yrs old, I say somewhere around 1-1.5yrs old). Flipping the seat around to front facing takes up a whole lot less room.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 1,108 Likes on 988 Posts

Rumor has it that the 2017 Chevy SS will have 580hp, thanks to a supercharger.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Congrats! That is a huge event in life.

One thing you'll notice when it comes to kids and vehicles is that it's a pain in the neck to put them into low vehicles (especially for women). Your wife will quickly tire of leaning over to lift a baby in and out of a car seat, or lifting the seat itself out. That means a vehicle with a higher seat height is a better idea. A typical sedan or wagon won't cut it. SUVs and minivans are going to be more appropriate for that one reason alone. Otherwise, bring on the big, fast wagon.

The Transit is a cool idea but it's not appreciably larger than a Mazda 5 (just higher roof height, I think). It's very practical for what it is and if you only need 3 or 4 seats, it'd be a great little vehicle for a small family. We checked out out at the last auto show and it only makes sense for occasional 3rd row use - otherwise, too small and cramped for those people.

A used CPO Mazda 5 might make the most sense - cheap to buy and relatively fuel efficient - and the newer ones have a 5-spd auto rather than a 4-spd auto transmission. You can also get them with a MANUAL transmission, if that's your preference!

Ford Flex is quite large and heavy while being fairly fuel inefficient. They're cool, in a weird way, but if you're getting something that big, just go with a minivan and get some real practicality for the weight.

Kids' accessories today are huge. You'll want as much cargo room as you can get. Toting a baby stroller, full-size baby seat, sleeping crib, etc, takes up a lot of room. If you do get a car (and I wouldn't blame you if you did), get a wagon or hatchback for sure. You'll use that extra space.

Try something like an Acura RDX, Audi Q5, BMW X3 or similar premium mid-size SUV - they'll ride nicely, get decent fuel economy and give you that higher seat height while offering "hatchback" utility (to a degree).

Quick Reply: I need backseats by December!