Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I WANT TO BUY A JEEP!

Old 07-29-2006, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I WANT TO BUY A JEEP!

I need a second car. I want the S to be a garage queen. I would "really" like to own a Jeep Wrangler. I have always thought of this. Basic transportation, S is for the weekends...

ANYBODY, have any advice on the purchase of this vehicle? Not financing advice, interested in the better year, model options, and important changes that would deter me from one model or another..much appreciated.

Erick
Old 07-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

89 Wrangler. Great cars, bullerproof, can be had in great condition for under 8 grand. If you want to spend 15, youll get everything brand new.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:50 AM

I had a base model '91 YJ (square headlights). Mine was a great machine, despite getting panned by most "consumer reports" publications. I beat the living heck out of it, took it through serious upstate NY goat-trails (following a friend on his dual-sport bike) and left a bikini top on it year-round (yeah, leaves tend to plug up the chassis drains). I had a Scotchgarded plush-toy pig tie-wrapped to the hood, my "road hog," and it even survived a night in Manhattan!

The only thing I recall needing serious service on that little 4-banger was one or more throttle bodies. They had unusual wear and the repairs cost me some hundreds of dollars.

Stock bumpers were a joke but the aftermarket had just the ugly-mother black tubular bumpers I wanted. In terms of add-ons, my favorite was that bikini top and separate rear cover. With a rear seat the cover made for a reasonable trunk.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:00 AM
d-j

I just sold my '95 YJ in March. Got it new, loved it for years. Then it started to wear a little thin, too noisy, too bumpy, bad A/C and not very good on the highway.

The YJ was a great model, they will take you anywhere - anytime. It is a very odd combination S2000 & a Jeep. Two different types of FUN.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Former Moderator

YJ is where its at. I hated the round headlights. Best part is, if you snap the driveshaft, you can still drive home (FWD only!)
Old 07-30-2006, 12:25 PM

I like Jeep Wrangler, but it gets horrible gas mileage. If you do get it, expect to spend lots of money on gas.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:39 PM
jah

i had a 97 wrangler, 1st year for the round head lamps

not much of an off road vehicle w/o mods
standard model is very inexpensive but sport pkg very expensive
cat went bad after 70K mi
fuel gage never worked
considerable effort to take down/up the top
the top was expensive to replace
max speed ~90mph, difficult to dirve, lite feel to the stearing
difficult to get a radio for it, lots of noise, no place to mount speakers
not that easy to do maintance on
soft top has little security for your stuff

never any engine problems 4cyc
great turning radius, small vehicle
easy to care for
cloth top, cloth doors fit well, great heater
average tip over factor
good rollbar
lots of room for 4 people
lots of fun
Old 07-30-2006, 04:49 PM

If you have a choice get the TJ without a doubt. Much more capable machine stock for stock than the YJ especially if you get the limited slip diff and the dana 44 housings front and rear (mainly on the sahara editions). Try not to get one with dana 35 axle housings.. nothing but trouble You'll also have a much newer vehicle if you buy the TJ.

Whatever you do if wind up getting a yj try to not get the 4.2 litre... nothing but trouble. Just do a google search on that engine and see what kind of problems are lurking for you.

Whatever you get though YJ or TJ it's a lot of fun. If you think that the S is expensive... remember JEEP= just empty every pocket
Old 07-30-2006, 04:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe wait a few months for the new Wrangler to get introduced, if you are interested in that; otherwise, grab a leftover or traded-in old model?

Jeeps usually go on sale in August, too, and I know you said no financing advice, but there is currently "employee pricing plus" available, which includes 0% financing.....
Old 07-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Purple_sky,Jul 30 2006, 03:25 PM
I like Jeep Wrangler, but it gets horrible gas mileage. If you do get it, expect to spend lots of money on gas.
If you were getting WOEFUL gas mileage (like single digits) it was probably your carb, or better yet, the infamous pesky leaky gas tank.

Quick Reply: I WANT TO BUY A JEEP!