Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Institute for Highway Safety's deadliest cars

Old 06-20-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Yeah, these types of lists are really really misleading. In the end, crash ratings mean more than statistics.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:25 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
My dad has a new impala and its really nice. I'm surprised it made the list. Mustangs make sense because of the crazy driving involved with such an affordable powerful car.
those mustang deaths are actually pedestrian deaths.

darcy
The following 2 users liked this post by darcyw:
Chibo (06-22-2017), JonBoy (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I challenge any of you to drive one of those Dodge Avengers and tell me you did not have suicidal thoughts.
I actually remember a rental Avenger a couple of years ago. While the engine and transmission were absolutely anemic (floor it and wait 3 seconds for anything to happen), the ride was generally good/comfortable, the steering felt solid, and the brakes had a proper linear feel. In a way, I walked away kind of impressed at how competent even a shitbox economy rental car has become. None of that vague play in the steering wheel before the wheels actually turn, or a brake pedal that builds pressure before ANY braking begins, where pedal feel has no correlation with stopping force (my biggest pet peeve). I sure as heck would never buy one, but even cheap cars have vastly improved in my lifetime.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Yeah, these types of lists are really really misleading. In the end, crash ratings mean more than statistics.
I disagree, I see it the other way around. The crash ratings are the equivalent of studying for a test, whereas the statistics are more representative of what actually happens in real life.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:20 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
The data has been normalized for quantity of registered cars, so number of cars on the road doesn't matter.
You can normalize all you want, but if you have large differences in production numbers to build statistics off they are going to be skewed.

Example being a small production car that is only involved in a handful of accidents due to the number of cars on the road, compared to an extremely high volume car involved in thousands of accidents. Smaller production car may be more dangerous in a crash, but we don't have the data to see that. Normalizing the data draws down the average of fatalities in the high production car, but since the smaller production car never had a fatal accident it comes back as 0.

You also miss the traits that come with certain car ownership, and associated risk factors.

All data should be taken with a grain of salt, that's not to say that I don't believe the Kia Rio and Hyundai Accent are beercans.