Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Insuring multiple cars

Old 08-21-2018, 11:45 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Insurance rates by state, Michigan rates are stupid high. The S alone is just shy of $900 for 6 months on our policy. We've got 5 cars currently, and our 6 month policy is $5400. My wife and I are both over 40 with no tickets or accidents.
Holy SHITE! $900 for 6 months for the S? Do you have teenagers in your house on your insurance? That sounds absolutely insane. If you have teenagers then it all makes sense imo. I remember some stupid high rates when I was a teenager..
Old 08-21-2018, 01:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Insurance can vary GREATLY even in the same state just based on zip code. So on a nationwide forum this topic is really useless here as there are a million factors such as:

- Job
- Your education
- Credit Score
- Amount of miles you drive
- How many cars you own
- Driving record (obviously)
- Combing policies such as home, auto, umbrella, business, etc.
- Where you live

With that said I have State Farm and we have over 10 cars insured with them, multiple homes, condo's, rentals, business, life, Umbrella, and a few others. So you could say we pay them a pretty penny to insure everything. I don't want to go into details here but what you said is definitely not true. For example State Farm has their "Drive Safe and Save" program. Sounds like you need to sit down with your agent.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:18 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm paying $290 PER MONTH for an Odyssey and a Civic, here in wonderful Vancouver, with a clean driving record (no tickets, no accidents). You guys have it easy!

We have "provincially-mandated and -issued insurance" here and they don't have a clue what they're doing. Apparently they're CONSIDERING updating their premium equations (first time in 30 years!) to account for speeding tickets and accident history in insurance rates and also are considering passing insurance costs for accidents to those that cause them, rather than all insured drivers, regardless of their driving history. What a novel idea: make those that cause accidents and speed pay for it via higher insurance premiums!
Old 08-22-2018, 05:30 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I'm paying $290 PER MONTH for an Odyssey and a Civic, here in wonderful Vancouver, with a clean driving record (no tickets, no accidents). You guys have it easy!

We have "provincially-mandated and -issued insurance" here and they don't have a clue what they're doing. Apparently they're CONSIDERING updating their premium equations (first time in 30 years!) to account for speeding tickets and accident history in insurance rates and also are considering passing insurance costs for accidents to those that cause them, rather than all insured drivers, regardless of their driving history. What a novel idea: make those that cause accidents and speed pay for it via higher insurance premiums!
No fault insurance policy are a scam that hurt the policy holders not the insurance companies.

I'm $320/month for 2 cars with home and umbrella. It feels like a lot to me. I recall being a teen at $110/month was a lot. Of course the value of cars has gone up as has their complexity. I'm not longer driving run of the mill cars either.
The following users liked this post:
JonBoy (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 06:09 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

five cars between the SO and me. Our normal runabout cars are insured with a typical insurance company (USAA), the toys are insured with agreed value insurance policies with Grundy.

$350/mo for three of the cars with USAA
$1400/yr with Grundy.
or roughly $475/mo for full coverage on five cars

This is in Las Vegas, which has some of the highest insurance rates in the country.

Last edited by Driven; 08-22-2018 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
No fault insurance policy are a scam that hurt the policy holders not the insurance companies.

I'm $320/month for 2 cars with home and umbrella. It feels like a lot to me. I recall being a teen at $110/month was a lot. Of course the value of cars has gone up as has their complexity. I'm not longer driving run of the mill cars either.
Yep.. we got switched for a short period of time onto a no fault policy and the price shot up. You definitely pay for it. 320/month is hard to say because that's with home and auto combined. I tend to get quotes with auto only for an apple to apples comparison.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:28 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
We're late 30's and it sounds like you aren't young?.
Wow. There is a shot out of nowhere.... 48, but after a full day of yardwork, feeling older than that.

I guess it does not matter. I am out of the game for a year at least. Just got an estimate on our crumbling driveway, over $50k. Seriously disappointing. Kinda thought I could squeak in around $30k. That puts a huge damper on the plans. That was full concrete, at a deep discount. Asphalt will be cheaper but not by a ton because the concrete estimate was a family friend doing it cheap. Driveway is about 8500 sqft.

Plans for a lift and a third car postponed indefinitely. First world problems, but it still bums me out.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
Wow. There is a shot out of nowhere.... 48, but after a full day of yardwork, feeling older than that.

I guess it does not matter. I am out of the game for a year at least. Just got an estimate on our crumbling driveway, over $50k. Seriously disappointing. Kinda thought I could squeak in around $30k. That puts a huge damper on the plans. That was full concrete, at a deep discount. Asphalt will be cheaper but not by a ton because the concrete estimate was a family friend doing it cheap. Driveway is about 8500 sqft.

Plans for a lift and a third car postponed indefinitely. First world problems, but it still bums me out.
Haha, wasn't meant to be insulting but just curious why rates were so high. I guess I'm just clueless and had no idea there was that much variation in insurance rates across the country.

8500 sq ft is a huge (or maybe really long) driveway. That quote sounds like a lot but $/sq ft seems to be a fair price. Maybe just bring in a few dumptrucks of gravel..?
Old 08-22-2018, 07:44 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

yup insurance sucks and is super expensive. Here in NY, we pay almost $8,400 for 4 cars. Thats not even including the s2000 and Evora. Those I have with Hagerty with guaranteed value insurance (rates are surprisingly reasonable.) This is also insuring my cars in Long Island, where rates are cheaper. If I insured my cars at my apartment, rates would be 30% higher.

What pisses me off, every time we replace a leased car for the same but newer car, rates go up. We just replaced a 2015 c300 lease for a 2018 c300. Rates went up $300/year.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:52 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
What pisses me off, every time we replace a leased car for the same but newer car, rates go up. We just replaced a 2015 c300 lease for a 2018 c300. Rates went up $300/year.
Yeah, we moved a few years ago and they jacked up my insurance $100 per six months per car. We moved to a nicer suburb with a better cast of surrounding characters and my insurance agent said "people hit a lot of deer out there." I said, "those are the stupid people, it should not affect my rate. " He did not buy my argument.

Quick Reply: Insuring multiple cars