Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Insuring multiple cars

Old 08-22-2018, 08:20 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Yeah, we moved a few years ago and they jacked up my insurance $100 per six months per car. We moved to a nicer suburb with a better cast of surrounding characters and my insurance agent said "people hit a lot of deer out there." I said, "those are the stupid people, it should not affect my rate. " He did not buy my argument.
I know it's a big headache (which the insurance companies know) but you should at least call around and get 1 or 2 quotes if it's been years since you've changed insurance companies. You might be surprised. That's been my experience at least. It's that way with everything these days. They give good incentives to new business, and milk the old business. There's no such thing as loyalty discounts anymore imo.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:50 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
I know it's a big headache (which the insurance companies know) but you should at least call around and get 1 or 2 quotes if it's been years since you've changed insurance companies. You might be surprised. That's been my experience at least. It's that way with everything these days. They give good incentives to new business, and milk the old business. There's no such thing as loyalty discounts anymore imo.
Yeah good point. I will check a few things out. Last time I did look though, they were lower than most quotes, but it does not hurt to look again. I did read that sometimes it is different to have 3 cars listed on one policy rather than three policies for three cars. I will look into that as well.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:53 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

I guess it does not matter. I am out of the game for a year at least. Just got an estimate on our crumbling driveway, over $50k. Seriously disappointing. Kinda thought I could squeak in around $30k. That puts a huge damper on the plans. That was full concrete, at a deep discount. Asphalt will be cheaper but not by a ton because the concrete estimate was a family friend doing it cheap. Driveway is about 8500 sqft.

Plans for a lift and a third car postponed indefinitely. First world problems, but it still bums me out.
feel your pain. Single income household and I’ve put 60k out of pocket into the house (structural, efficiency, the guts). All out of pocket, no home equity loans. With 60-80k to go for cosmetic (interior work, remodeling, etc). It’s killing me. I do OK financially but F this home S is incredibly expensive here. And we’ve been infiltrated by out of staters so I can’t sell and run and buy somewhere else, would be pointless. The same folks moving here have exponentially driven up remodeling work. I just want it over with and have no choice but to wait and wait some more. House feels like Step Brothers right now, living in a prison on planet bs. My contractor laughed when I said I’m more motivated to put up a carport (alley type neighborhood) than remodel the kitchen so I can park a vehicle outside and wash my vehicles out of the sun. I looked at that kitchen remodel quote and said I’d be happier with a carport and electronic gate outside.

I see my retirement already in one of two spots, both with the same build. A metal structure with 4 oversized garage doors/bays with an 800-1000 sq foot apartment built inside of it. I’d do it now but it would mean a 1.5 hour commute to work and I’d just as soon slit my wrists than deal with that every day. I wonder what people at work would say at my professional job if they caught me moonlighting, working at HD on the weekends

Old 08-22-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
feel your pain. Single income household and I’ve put 60k out of pocket into the house (structural, efficiency, the guts). All out of pocket, no home equity loans. With 60-80k to go for cosmetic (interior work, remodeling, etc). It’s killing me. I do OK financially but F this home S is incredibly expensive here. And we’ve been infiltrated by out of staters so I can’t sell and run and buy somewhere else, would be pointless. The same folks moving here have exponentially driven up remodeling work. I just want it over with and have no choice but to wait and wait some more. House feels like Step Brothers right now, living in a prison on planet bs. My contractor laughed when I said I’m more motivated to put up a carport (alley type neighborhood) than remodel the kitchen so I can park a vehicle outside and wash my vehicles out of the sun. I looked at that kitchen remodel quote and said I’d be happier with a carport and electronic gate outside.
I think this is the case a lot of places, specifically remodeling costs are nuts. I think it's a supply/demand problem due to a high demand for home renovations and lack of good contractors. I'd seriously look at remodeling your kitchen yourself vs hiring a "kitchen remodeler." It's crazy the price some contractors are charging but that's the market these days. I've done a lot of renovation work myself over the years and saved a small fortune.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Well not to get too far off the topic of car insurance.....the place we bought was a really nice custom home, on a very private lot, and we bought it from a couple of 80 year olds. If I had to do it all again, I still think I would but when you buy from an elderly couple, there is only so much the inspection will find and only so many things you catch in a few walkthroughs. You will have to catch up on several years of deferred maintenance some old dude was to old and tired to keep up with. Anyone looking at places in the future, add $20k worth of hassle and two years of back breaking time if you are buying from an elderly couple. You have been warned. It aint just undoing their out of date taste with Liberace gold knobs and fixtures, and wallpaper everywhere. It goes well beyond that. There have probably been a ton of things "fixed" by the homeowner who grew up in the days of being self sufficient, but he did it just horribly wrong and on the cheap because he was in a rush to get to the before 5pm geezer discount at Denny's. Two acres of trees covered in vines, buckthorn everywhere, a lawn full of foxtail, broken faucets fixed with spray cans of stuff on infomercials. Everything that could be neglected by an 80 year old was. I cleaned about 2 gallons of mouse poop out of the walls of my man cave and re-insulated and drywalled because they were too deaf to hear the mice that look like they lived in the wall for a decade.

I could post for days about how anything that could break, broke. And how if it had broken prior, it was fixed by a maniac.

Good professional labor is expensive but worth it. DIY is also expensive, and tiresome.

Sorry for the rant. Very tired, and empty pockets due to the house from hell. Still love the place though. It is in a very cool spot.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:19 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I live in a HCOL area in NJ, but have a garage for two of the cars (have 5, but will be selling one soon) and combined pay about 2k a year. Once my fiance becomes my wife, we'll add her truck to my policy and it should drop quite a bit. I have Hagerty for one of my cars, and the rest are on regular insurance. The one take-away I got from the insurance 'game' is to constantly get quotes when you come up for renewal. My fiance had had progressive from the time she bought her truck and with a quick quote to a competing provider we were able to half her bill while increasing her coverage 10 fold. The benefits for being an aged member didn't really seem to pay off, as the money saved could have been put into an E-fund or invested for much greater returns.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Well not to get too far off the topic of car insurance.....the place we bought was a really nice custom home, on a very private lot, and we bought it from a couple of 80 year olds. If I had to do it all again, I still think I would but when you buy from an elderly couple, there is only so much the inspection will find and only so many things you catch in a few walkthroughs. You will have to catch up on several years of deferred maintenance some old dude was to old and tired to keep up with. Anyone looking at places in the future, add $20k worth of hassle and two years of back breaking time if you are buying from an elderly couple. You have been warned. It aint just undoing their out of date taste with Liberace gold knobs and fixtures, and wallpaper everywhere. It goes well beyond that. There have probably been a ton of things "fixed" by the homeowner who grew up in the days of being self sufficient, but he did it just horribly wrong and on the cheap because he was in a rush to get to the before 5pm geezer discount at Denny's. Two acres of trees covered in vines, buckthorn everywhere, a lawn full of foxtail, broken faucets fixed with spray cans of stuff on infomercials. Everything that could be neglected by an 80 year old was. I cleaned about 2 gallons of mouse poop out of the walls of my man cave and re-insulated and drywalled because they were too deaf to hear the mice that look like they lived in the wall for a decade.

I could post for days about how anything that could break, broke. And how if it had broken prior, it was fixed by a maniac.

Good professional labor is expensive but worth it. DIY is also expensive, and tiresome.

Sorry for the rant. Very tired, and empty pockets due to the house from hell. Still love the place though. It is in a very cool spot.
Ditto on most everything. I feel better now, as I didn't have to deal with all that mouse poop. The man who owned my home last name was Walker. I now refer to all the band-aid bs fixes as "walkerisms". It's been walkered, etc.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So I am trying to convince my wife that I am not a two car guy, but really a three car guy. She is not enthused. But I am not that enthused with my insurer. State Farm. I have a decent rate on the first car, and they tell me I am getting a good rate on the second "occasional use" car which I think is limited to 5,000 miles or less, but that premium is higher than my daily, which I can understand because it is a more expensive car. But I am told if I add a third car that is also "occasional use" there really is no cheap rate. So about $400 for six months for the daily, $450 for six months for the Cayman, and then probably $400+ for the third car. I get full comp and collision coverage. I have been with them for 25 years and never had anything covered except for one smashed windshield. No tickets, no accidents.

So my main question: Is there a company that gives a really good rate for car nuts who have a few vehicles since I can really only drive one at a time?
Have you tried Progressive Insurance?

I too own multiple cars and my rates are lower than most insurance companies.

For the third car, do you plan on driving it throughout the year or only during summer? If only summer, perhaps insure the third car during June through August - this will help cut costs down a bit.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Insurance is funky, I had good luck with wawanesa for a while, when I got the Corvette they wanted way too much so I switched to nationwide, when I golf the Golf R, our rate almost doubled (coming from a c7 Corvette!) so I switched to geico. I have never had a claim, no speeding tickets, wife and I are age 30+ but we live in the city, where a lot of people get into accidents presumably so our insurance is way higher than it was in the suburbs.

We pay 775 every 6 months for the Golf R and liability only on the Miata. Kinda high IMO considering we don't drive nearly as much as the average driver.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Some of you guys have it easy. I pay $2000/year each for my S2000 and TL-S.

I have the maximum discount available and can only physically drive one car at a time, but they still ding me for the second car for exactly the same amount as if it's my only car.

Quick Reply: Insuring multiple cars