Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Interesting Take On Acura...

Old 01-15-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Interesting Take On Acura...

My link

Fanboy's Represent
Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's pretty much true but the author loses some credibility by not mentioning the New NSX
Old 01-15-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Very ignorant (willfully, or otherwise) writer, that's for sure - he's certainly dismissive.

New NSX
New hybrid drivetrain
New 8-speed and 9-speed transmissions (including another DCT - their second)
All-wheel steering (P-AWS)
SH-AWD on all upper models (MDX, TLX, RLX, new NSX)

Oh, and let's not forget, Acura just set their best sales year for trucks EVER.

Their new styling language on the TLX looks great, certainly a MASSIVE step forward over the very bland, very uninspiring RLX. I'm not a huge fan of the nose but the rest looks very good to my eye. Looks nothing like an old Lexus IS (guy is blind). If anything, it has some Infiniti tones with perhaps a few light touches of any of a number of cars.

Acura's FWD sedans do struggle to compete against some RWD counterparts. That's why Acura's top models all have SH-AWD, which is very much a means of equalizing the performance field. The current-gen TL SH-AWD with 6MT is a hoot to drive (considering its class, at least) with tons of torque, power and grip. It can really hustle when you're flogging it.

Comparing the TLX to a Chrysler 200? He lost all credibility there. Chrysler 200 is a Dodge Dart that's been tarted up, pretty much.

He acknowledges a number of good things, then dismisses them. Hardly unbiased or fair. You can't dismiss the strengths and harp about the weaknesses only.

THAT SAID, he's right that Acura needs some excitement. He's right that they do need to jump out of the box. They have and are, to a degree. The new NSX is a HUGE leap for them and the new styling on the TLX is also quite new for them. The transmissions are all-new and the hybrid powertrains are also new.

Exciting? Not really, but they're all competitive vehicles. The NSX is their excitement car.

Infiniti is pretty bland as well, since he mentioned them. Their last exciting move was changing a G to a Q. Otherwise, their cars and lineup have changed very little. Audi has great styling (in my opinion) but most people can't tell an A3 from an A4 from an A6, so hardly "exciting" on that front.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:42 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Acura is for those who want a nicer Honda, and depending who you are, that's either a good thing or a bad thing. It's not meant for those seeking a status symbol like an S class, an adrenaline rush (well I guess until the hybrid NSX), a 3 or 5 series fighter, an M_ fighter, etc. It's for the value minded consumer who essentially want a Honda Accord, Pilot, etc but wants something more, hmm, special and luxurious.
Btw, I think the article is more talking about the brand management of Acura vs. the actual viability of Acura.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Acura is for those who want a nicer Honda, and depending who you are, that's either a good thing or a bad thing. It's not meant for those seeking a status symbol like an S class, an adrenaline rush (well I guess until the hybrid NSX), a 3 or 5 series fighter, an M_ fighter, etc. It's for the value minded consumer who essentially want a Honda Accord, Pilot, etc but wants something more, hmm, special and luxurious.
Btw, I think the article is more talking about the brand management of Acura vs. the actual viability of Acura.
This.

Mainstream, attainable "luxury" for practical, non-car people. A safe bet for those that view cars as appliances, yet feel they deserve something "decent'.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
It's pretty much true but the author loses some credibility by not mentioning the New NSX

From article:

This is a brand that desperately needs something to create some buzz and shake up the status quo. Sure, there's the new NSX supposedly headed our way soon. You know, they one they've been teasing us with since 2011. By the time that gets out, it won't matter anymore because the year will be 2065 and no one will be driving anymore because all cars will be autonomous. (That was sarcasm.)

But besides the new NSX — which has a tremendous legacy to live up to, so it had better be damn near perfect — there isn't much to Acura these days.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:55 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Very ignorant (willfully, or otherwise) writer, that's for sure - he's certainly dismissive.

New NSX
New hybrid drivetrain
New 8-speed and 9-speed transmissions (including another DCT - their second)
All-wheel steering (P-AWS)
SH-AWD on all upper models (MDX, TLX, RLX, new NSX)

Oh, and let's not forget, Acura just set their best sales year for trucks EVER.

Their new styling language on the TLX looks great, certainly a MASSIVE step forward over the very bland, very uninspiring RLX. I'm not a huge fan of the nose but the rest looks very good to my eye. Looks nothing like an old Lexus IS (guy is blind). If anything, it has some Infiniti tones with perhaps a few light touches of any of a number of cars.

Acura's FWD sedans do struggle to compete against some RWD counterparts. That's why Acura's top models all have SH-AWD, which is very much a means of equalizing the performance field. The current-gen TL SH-AWD with 6MT is a hoot to drive (considering its class, at least) with tons of torque, power and grip. It can really hustle when you're flogging it.

Comparing the TLX to a Chrysler 200? He lost all credibility there. Chrysler 200 is a Dodge Dart that's been tarted up, pretty much.

He acknowledges a number of good things, then dismisses them. Hardly unbiased or fair. You can't dismiss the strengths and harp about the weaknesses only.

THAT SAID, he's right that Acura needs some excitement. He's right that they do need to jump out of the box. They have and are, to a degree. The new NSX is a HUGE leap for them and the new styling on the TLX is also quite new for them. The transmissions are all-new and the hybrid powertrains are also new.

Exciting? Not really, but they're all competitive vehicles. The NSX is their excitement car.

Infiniti is pretty bland as well, since he mentioned them. Their last exciting move was changing a G to a Q. Otherwise, their cars and lineup have changed very little. Audi has great styling (in my opinion) but most people can't tell an A3 from an A4 from an A6, so hardly "exciting" on that front.
What are you trying to argue here? The basis of the article is that acura is boring and predictable. Which you agree with.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:21 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

FYI the Chrysler 200 shares jack shit with the Dodge Dart. Not even same platforms. Unless you're referring to the new one that just debuted at Detroit and doesn't even have an on sale date. That one, btw, has an incredibly well done exterior design, that trumps anything Acura has by a mile.

EDIT: Okay you are referring to the 2015 200. I think it's silly for the author to compare the 200 to the TLX, since the 200 competes with the ILX.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:27 AM

It's telling that all the people I know who have Acura's won't buy another one. They all want to move to BMW or the Like.

Quick Reply: Interesting Take On Acura...