Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

IS350 and IS250

Old 12-02-2005, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IS350 and IS250

Well the IS350 only comes in automatic and the "paddle shifters" are just linked to a slushbox, which is pretty damn boring for someone who doesn't drink lattes (I like my coffee black and spilled all over the place, btw).

Test drove the IS250, though and here's my .02:

Interior: Very nice. Some of the controls look a little cheap (radio esp), but overall the seats, the dash, the carpet, the headliner, the door handles/mirror controls, etc. all were top notch and were very intuitive (unlike, say, a BMW). The top of the line radio sounds like crap, though. My Evo's stereo, which I think is adequate (and more than acceptable considering that you buy an Evo for performance and really nothing else), sounds better than the Lexus'. Perhaps they got a good deal on speakers from Radio Shack?

Exterior: Impressive in person, very impressive. It's sexy without being feminine, masculine without being steroidal. Unlike, say, Mercedes, darker colors look better on the Lexus than the lighter colors (which is all they seem to have in stock: they come in silver, silver, silver and silver). In terms of proportions, the car precisely balances between roomy on the inside and compact on the outside. They had some ghetto bling rims on one of the 250s that look like absolute flea market trash....I guess Lexus has a way to go in terms of understanding the difference between tasteful and gaudy aftermarket options.

Driving:
Clutch: Fine. Engages a few inches off the floor and the take up is very gradual and easy to adapt to.
Transmission: Smooth and positive through all six gears.
Visibility: Giant mirrors, which are great because the rear pillars, which look good from the outside, are a lot of what you see on the inside, obstructing a bit of what's next to you.
Brakes: Easy to modulate and linear control from 0 to 50% stopping power, then it was a neck snapping on-off switch after that. One of those things that owners will get used to, I suppose.
Steering: The wheel is great, the steering firm and not overly boosted with plenty of feel under normal driving.
Handling: Good at normal speeds, not too bad at the limit. The IS is just a swaybar away from balanced handling.
Engine: ANEMIC, SLEEPY, TIRED. I can't remember being in a car that accelerated so dangerously slow. A 4 cylinder Camry feels like an Elise compared to the IS250, which felt like it had about the same acceleration curve as a Scion xA. It revs slowly and doesn't make much more power at redline than it does down low. Horribly disappointing.

Verdict: Is it really too much to ask for a Lexus with an engine that can keep on pace with econo cars that cost 10K less? Either that or throw a manual option in the IS350.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review. Although, I never heard the stereo on the IS250, but the standard system in the IS350 sounds way better than my stock (non Infinity) EVO system.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:15 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

The IS250 is dog slow from all reports. Like 0 to 60 in 8.5 seconds slow. Even though it only comes with paddle-shifter slushbox, I would most DEFINITELY be taking the IS350.

My IS300 has the push button shifting on the steering wheel mated to the 3.0L I6 and while it's absolutely nowhere near as fun as a manual, it's mildly amusing running up and down through the gears using the push buttons.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:51 AM

All the reviews seem to state the same. The car rags dog the 250 for having no power and the 350 for its boring nature. What are they thinking? They put a 268hp motor in the Rav4 but can't figure out a way to put a decent engine in the base IS? It's a great looking car, I'll give them that, but they need to get their head out of their asses in the performance arena.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by kadeshpa,Dec 3 2005, 08:51 AM
All the reviews seem to state the same. The car rags dog the 250 for having no power and the 350 for its boring nature. What are they thinking? They put a 268hp motor in the Rav4 but can't figure out a way to put a decent engine in the base IS? It's a great looking car, I'll give them that, but they need to get their head out of their asses in the performance arena.
Offering the week engine in the 250 is a good business decision for Toyota. Anyone caring about performance willl probably suck it up and get the 350 (if their budget allows it).
Old 12-03-2005, 07:27 AM

The performance difference between the two is too vast. A full 102 hp, and the car's not light enough that the IS250 would be a decent compromise. Throwing in an automatic as the only choice on the low end further detracts from the IS250's appeal.

The low-end 3 series is still far more desirable, now that that car performs much more closely to the old 330. I'd say, in a weird twist of fate, the new 325 is a better value than the IS250.

Overall I agree though: the IS350 is the only way to go.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is many who care about performance wants manual or at least SMG-like tranny. So the IS250/350 are neither here nor there. I just don't understand why they would dumb down the performance model by not having a manual tranny available.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:13 AM

It may not make sense to us, but it does to Lexus, seeing as their other entry model, the ES330, is auto only, as is the GS350/430. Lexus continues to become popular regardless of the tranny in its cars. The last manual transmission Lexus was the 1997 SC300/400. The SC was also the only manual tranny Lexus ever offered.

BMW on the other hand has always been performance oriented, offering a manual even in a car as big as the 5-series. BMW also has far more race history, or history period, so BMW is built on the more "traditional" aspects of vehicle engineering, development, and product branding/marketing.

But at some point we'll all be driving SMG-style trannies that feel like automatics, so might as well jump on the bandwagon now and assimilate yourself.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:16 AM

Throwing in an automatic as the only choice on the low end further detracts from the IS250's appeal.
The IS250 is available with a 6spd manual.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you actually drive a 350? The TV test drive I saw made the slushy-paddle shifter seem okay. Haven't tried it yet myself.

Quick Reply: IS350 and IS250