Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ito apologizes for current gen Civic

Old 12-02-2011, 08:08 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Ito apologizes for current gen Civic

The fact that it came up and he addressed it is imo good news that Honda is at least seeing the error of its ways. Hopefully we can see improvement sooner rather than later.

Honda CEO Ito takes responsibility for Civic's U.S. troubles
Mark Rechtin
Follow Mark on
Automotive News -- November 30, 2011 - 3:40 am ET
UPDATED: 11/30/11 7:57 a.m. ET

Honda CEO Takanobu Ito: "The ultimate responsibility rests with me."
Related Links
Tokyo Motor Show coverage
TOKYO -– Honda Motor CEO Takanobu Ito today took personal responsibility for the redesigned Civic's poor reception and sales performance in the U.S. market since its April launch.

"The ultimate responsibility rests with me," Ito said during a roundtable with journalists at the Tokyo Motor Show. "We take inputs from the various markets with sincerity ... and try to work out the best actions for what we have observed. Those decisions rest with me."

For the first time in more than a decade, the 2012 Civic was left off the list of "recommended" vehicles by Consumer Reports magazine, largely due to the poor quality of its cheap interior plastics.

A Wall Street Journal review called the Civic redesign "a betrayal."

The Civic -- along with the Accord, Odyssey minivan and CR-V crossover -- is a mainstay of Honda's lineup. The four models represent nearly 80 percent of the automaker's U.S. sales.

Civic sales have plunged 15 percent to 183,557 vehicles this year through October in the United States -- a market that is up 10 percent during that 10-month period.

The March 11 earthquake in Japan and recent floods in Thailand hindered suppliers from providing Honda's plants with parts, reducing production during the spring and fall. As a result, Civic sales have been surpassed by both the Chevrolet Cruze and Ford Fusion, and the Hyundai Elantra is close behind.

In a recent interview, American Honda executive vice president John Mendel said that Honda was looking at short-cycling the Civic, with its mid-cycle change coming perhaps as early as the 2013 calendar year -- a year ahead of a typical schedule in a five-year cadence.

The new Civic was under development when the U.S. economy imploded about three years ago.

Ito has previously said that Honda believed consumers were going to want cars with lower prices and would be willing to sacrifice some content in exchange.

At the same time, competitors such as the Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus and Chevrolet Cruze have been introduced with additional features and equipment.

Honda engineers also reversed a decision to make the U.S. Civic larger, keeping its footprint about the same.

However, the European Civic's interior retained a high level of content -– although the compact-car segment in Europe often lures a higher class of customer than the typical entry-level buyer in America.

The U.S. and European Civics use slightly different platform architectures, so Honda could not simply replace the U.S. instrument panel and center console with the European version.
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...111139999/1354
Old 12-02-2011, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They don't need to change anything. Jonboy will convince the nation that the civic is all conquering.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Based on the six months of sales where they've had near 100% production, it is (including this month, again, despite very low inventories that are dropping due to Thailand flooding causing parts shortages).

Of course, only two of those months were with the 9G Civic (October/November) but in November, with inventories dropping again, the 9G Civic still beat the new Cruze by roughly 4K units (30% more)), the Elantra by roughly 5K units (34% more) and the Focus by 5.5K units (nearly 50% more). That's two straight months at the #1 spot in its class, beating the others VERY handily. Only the Corolla is staying close (1K units less).

In person, the exterior is actually decent but the interior leaves something to be desired. I prefer my wife's 8G Civic overall BUT I haven't driven the 9G which has shown already to get moderately better fuel economy (magazine tests and real world mileage) without sacrificing the little speed it previously had. For some people, that's a big enough difference. It just isn't enough for me.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by sparrow
They don't need to change anything. Jonboy will convince the nation that the civic is all conquering.

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Based on the six months of sales where they've had near 100% production, it is (including this month, again, despite very low inventories that are dropping due to Thailand flooding causing parts shortages).

Of course, only two of those months were with the 9G Civic (October/November) but in November, with inventories dropping again, the 9G Civic still beat the new Cruze by roughly 4K units (30% more)), the Elantra by roughly 5K units (34% more) and the Focus by 5.5K units (nearly 50% more). That's two straight months at the #1 spot in its class, beating the others VERY handily. Only the Corolla is staying close (1K units less).

In person, the exterior is actually decent but the interior leaves something to be desired. I prefer my wife's 8G Civic overall BUT I haven't driven the 9G which has shown already to get moderately better fuel economy (magazine tests and real world mileage) without sacrificing the little speed it previously had. For some people, that's a big enough difference. It just isn't enough for me.
Hondadamus has spoken.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Jonboy -- I don't know if you've noticed, but sparrow is finally back on s2ki!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 AM

Yup and he brought tea bagging and nut sacks with him. I guess we know where he's been spending his time!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Even Ito has admitted there are issues man.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Yup and he brought tea bagging and nut sacks with him. I guess we know where he's been spending his time!
I have angered Hondadamus. I will sacrifice no less than 3 hyundai velosters to appease you.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sparrow
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1322847773' post='21204916
I have angered Hondadamus. I will sacrifice no less than 3 hyundai velosters to appease you.
Now that's funny.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Even Ito has admitted there are issues man.
As did I, man. Or didn't you see that because you saw red as soon as my user name showed on the screen?

Quick Reply: Ito apologizes for current gen Civic