S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Japanese Domestic Car Sales Woes (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/japanese-domestic-car-sales-woes-408993/)

s2kpdx01 07-29-2006 04:20 PM

Japanese Domestic Car Sales Woes

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...E/60724018/1041

While, they seem to be selling well over here back home it's a different story. You will notice that only Honda and Nissan are mentioned as having issues selling domestically.

But this may be why:

Thanks to Daihatsu and a 14.2 percent rise at truckmaking unit Hino Motors Ltd., Toyota group sales slipped only 1.3 percent, to 546,465 in the second quarter.
Looks like toyota is only doing well at home because of it's other brands. Interesting. I guess people everywhere just want things that are a little different then the norm.

PS: Toyota sux0r5!!!

jah 07-30-2006 12:57 PM

the micro-class cars did well too

japa peeps who can afford the import brands Hummer, Jeep, or BMW dont care about gas prices

Purple_sky 07-30-2006 02:44 PM

Auto sales have their ups-and-down's, but the important thing is not to have down all the time. ;)

aklucsarits 07-31-2006 07:33 AM

I read this same article earlier too. I couldn't help but wonder if the slipping domestic sales for the Japanese makers was possibly due to their products catering too much to the US market's tastes and diverging too much from the traditional Japan market tastes. You look at cars like the Civic, Accord, Camry, Legacy, Galant, Altima, etc - all cars that have gotten dramatically larger and heavier over the past 10 years and adopted ever larger engines as well. Larger cars with big torqey engines are what the mass market in America wants. But smaller, lighter feeling cars with, smaller engines is what has always sold best in Japan. It's almost as if the Japanese automakers are maybe making too many compromises in order to capture the US market at the expense of JDM sales.

Andrew

aklucsarits 07-31-2006 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01,Jul 29 2006, 07:20 PM
Looks like toyota is only doing well at home because of it's other brands. Interesting. I guess people everywhere just want things that are a little different then the norm.

PS: Toyota sux0r5!!!

Actually, if you look at what they wrote about toyota, the only thing that brought their numbers to a smaller loss was a huge gain in commercial truck sales and their ownership stake in Daihatsu.

Their Toyota and Lexus brands combined saw a pretty dramatic 4.3% sales volume drop.

Or consider Toyota. With no minicars in the lineup, combined sales for the Toyota and Lexus brands fell 4.3 percent, to 384,727.
Andrew

oshp515 08-01-2006 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,Jul 31 2006, 10:33 AM
I read this same article earlier too. I couldn't help but wonder if the slipping domestic sales for the Japanese makers was possibly due to their products catering too much to the US market's tastes and diverging too much from the traditional Japan market tastes. You look at cars like the Civic, Accord, Camry, Legacy, Galant, Altima, etc - all cars that have gotten dramatically larger and heavier over the past 10 years and adopted ever larger engines as well. Larger cars with big torqey engines are what the mass market in America wants. But smaller, lighter feeling cars with, smaller engines is what has always sold best in Japan. It's almost as if the Japanese automakers are maybe making too many compromises in order to capture the US market at the expense of JDM sales.

Andrew

I agree totally. For example, they never should have made the S a 2.2. They phucked the original perfect design. Only americans would buy an NA four cylinder and EXPECT torque. Wow. Need I say more?? ;)

dlq04 08-01-2006 02:15 PM

How tough was it for General Motors and Ford Motor Co. in July? Just look at how the automakers ranked by U.S. sales for the month:

1. General Motors

2. Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc.

3. Ford Motor Co.

That's right -- Toyota outsold Ford.